Underoos associates Feb 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually keep my bulbs in the fridge until about April when it starts to get colder, but last year I left it until early May. 15cm planter box should be ok but it depends on what bulbs you're going to plant...look on the packet to see how deep they need to be.

I've been buying interesting tomatoes and keeping the seeds from the ones I like. I have Amorosi, Zebrino, Piccolini Cocktail and Cherry Berry Tomatoes growing at present.

Why haven't we heard how lunch went with Techie and Mr and Mrs Rags? I want to know.
    :h Mish :h
    sigpic
    Never give up...
    GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
    Remaining a perpetual possibility
    Only in a world of speculation.
    What might have been and what has been
    Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

Well, seeing that my life is back to normal, I figures I needed to pull my finger out and give some reportage. Whilst I'm the first to piss and moan about uninvited visitors, I feel it only fair to report on a successful visit.

The old boilers arrived at the appointed time. Tick. Now these two women are about ten years older than I am, both widows and not even vaguely interested in changing that status. And no, they're not dykes. Their energy intimidates me. They obeyed my "Nah, don't bring anything - I've got all meals organised, catered for and prepared". Tick. On Saturday we had lunch and dinner and they ate everything I offered them without complaint or question or need for dietary deviation. Tick. They went to bed around 10pm. Tick. On Sunday morning they asked if they would weed a particular garden bed. Is the Pope a bloody catholic? Not once did they ask stupid bloody questions like where's your barrow/weeding tool/spade/trowel/bandaid/pyrethrum/secateurs ... they just went ahead, found stuff and gave me the most wonderful three hours of solid labour.

Bloody BIG tick.

We had a splendid lunch of Linguini alla Limone and Salad and they buggered off at the appointed time. TICK.

So, after they left, I moseyed up to the pretentiously named 'guest quarters'. The joint looked like nobody had been there. Bed perfectly made, curtains left just where they should be, no cups or any sign that they'd made tea and coffee ... and on the floor was a box of groceries. Fantastic pantry stuff ... balsamic vinegar, smoked paprika, kitchen towel, rice crackers, green scouring pads, a big Panatone, etc etc etc ... just stuff I'll need down the track ...

The old adage of "Leave a place the way you found it and (if you can) a little better" came to mind.

So ... now you've read this incredibly long yet spell-binding novel, watch out for the movie. Soon to be released I will be played by Helen Mirren, the Old Boilers will be portrayed by Olympia Dukakis and Dame Judy Dench and Kevin McLeod will play the part of Spiritual Advisor and Keeper of the Noodle Boxes.

In other news:

Missy - I'm with Mish re bulbs. Always 'winter' them in the crisper of your fridge for a few weeks. I think 15cm is fine for most things - maybe not daffs or any of the bigger bulbs.

And again I'm with Mish. Really wouldn't mind getting some sort of report on the Rags'/Techie luncheon. Unless of course Beagle's Questionnaire is still being completed. Is he an A,B,C or D??????? Hmmmmmm .....

Please note: NO EMOTICONS HAVE BEEN HARMED during the writing of this post.

Comment

My guests never behave like that. A new brand of guest is what we need round here.

Do the Americans require a Customer Satisfaction Survey to be completed at the conclusion of a meal ?
        That's a lot of extra paperwork.

Time for Rags to find some free WiFi and self report.

Bulbage already expertly covered.
        If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
        Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

byebyebridgetjones;1063491 wrote:
          Do the Americans require a Customer Satisfaction Survey to be completed at the conclusion of a meal ?
          Dunno. Maybe they've started to litigate?

Comment

Mish;1063475 wrote:

Why haven't we heard how lunch went with Techie and Mr and Mrs Rags? I want to know.
            Rags duly texted. At least I have my uses as international communication facilitator

tawnyfrog;1063486 wrote:

Please note: NO EMOTICONS HAVE BEEN HARMED during the writing of this post.
            Shall I make up for that with a wee bit of throbbage? :h:h:h

byebyebridgetjones;1063491 wrote:

Time for Rags to find some free WiFi and self report.

Is that kinda like a self-assessment? They're the only assessments I trust...
            I'll do whatever it takes
            AF 21/08/2009

Comment

tiptronic_ct;1063494 wrote: Rags duly texted.
              SO WHAT DID SHE SAY??????

you enigmatic little Saffa

... pat-pat-pat

Comment

tawnyfrog;1063492 wrote: Dunno. Maybe they've started to litigate?
                That's what it'll be.

Good on you Tips.
                If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

tawnyfrog;1063486 wrote:
                  Missy - I'm with Mish re bulbs. Always 'winter' them in the crisper of your fridge for a few weeks. I think 15cm is fine for most things - maybe not daffs or any of the bigger bulbs.
                  If I haven't got them yet, does this mean I should buy them early and refrigerate them first? And BTW it gets cold here a whole lot earlier than it does in WA :H:H
                  Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Miss Behaving;1063502 wrote: And BTW it gets cold here a whole lot earlier than it does in WA
                    How come? :H:H

When buying new ones, I always wait until the bulb selling people get close to the 'Must Plant Now' stage. At that point they reduce their prices drastically. AND ... dare I say it - Ebay is another fab place to get bulk bulbs. Noodle boxes optional.

Comment

so, an observation.
                      as a self help type forum, i note we talk less and less about AL.
                      does that mean as a group we are getting a handle on this, or as one bloke i focus less and less on that type of post.

i know i use to think of AL whenever ANY topic was up.
                      sex=AL
                      sport=AL
                      AL=AL
                      air con=AL
                      squrels=AL
                      mandrils=AL...etc.
                      AF since 10/26/2009

It will be five years sober 10/26/2014

Comment

tawnyfrog;1063506 wrote: How come? :H:H

When buying new ones, I always wait until the bulb selling people get close to the 'Must Plant Now' stage. At that point they reduce their prices drastically. AND ... dare I say it - Ebay is another fab place to get bulk bulbs. Noodle boxes optional.
                        Its a little something called being not very far away from the Ross Ice Shelf :H

I'm going for quality over price this season. We may want to sell the house next spring in favour of something with an extra bedroom (assuming that plans for Mr B's son coming to live with us for 2012 come to fruition) so I want a beautiful and full on display to attract buyers!!! (Of course it also means getting weeding in the back section to make it look as good as it as when Tigger was here last year) ... but I'm going to wait for late summer/early autumn to get that bit done.

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

tawnyfrog;1063496 wrote: SO WHAT DID SHE SAY??????

you enigmatic little Saffa

... pat-pat-pat
                          Time zones, Froglet, time zones. Even the inimitable Raggsy needs to rest.
                          I'll do whatever it takes
                          AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Did anyone see this tonight on 4 corners? Is still on..
                            An Aussie Erin Brokovitch
                            Four Corners - 21/02/2011: The Gas Rush

Comment

Morning people,

As Missy's trying not to check in until lunchtime, I'll be the rooster this morning.

Wakey wakey wakey.

Have a great day, one and all. Do something you're proud of.

Comment

tawnyfrog;1063913 wrote: Morning people,

As Missy's trying not to check in until lunchtime, I'll be the rooster this morning.

Wakey wakey wakey.

Have a great day, one and all. Do something you're proud of.
                                I cheated this morning and had a quick read while everyone was out of the office getting coffee :H:H

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Working...
                                X