X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

non alcoholic beer

Hi All,

Just looking for opinions on this pls.

Heading away for a few days with family and friends. My first sober weekend away :hiya:.
    Actually looking forward to it, didnt think I would be a few weeks ago (day 36 afso far )

Have come this far thanks to this site and the Allen Carr method.
    Allen doesnt recommend substitutes as in AF beer. I was thinking of maybe having one or two but a little scared to,in case its a step towards drinking alcohol.
    What do you think, are many of you having an occasional af beer or wine ?

Hope all our well

Damo x
    Still trying !!!
    AF 25th June2014

non alcoholic beer

Damo, this comes up a lot. So, (and this is just my opinion!!) yes, it can lead to temptation, especially early on. AL free drinks almost always have SOME AL. This is your decision; just be sure you're informed, and feel strong enough not to let it lead you back to where you've been, and obviously don't want to go again. Good Luck! And have (SOBER) fun! It's so great to come home with good memories, not bad ones someone else has to tell you about!
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

non alcoholic beer

Hi Damo, I have tried them but to be honest I found them foul - actually I used to find a lot of alcohol foul but I wanted the buzz. I just realised I'm probably not qualified to answer your question - but personally I would rather stay away from substitutes, I'm sure folk with more knowledge will be along!
      Molly
      Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
      contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

non alcoholic beer

Hi Damo , i would stay away from them, as Molly said they would taste shit anyway. I think its best just to break away from the whole having a drink in your hand thing. when i am out i just have coke, one or two and i don't try to match it drink for drink. I think we try to make drinkers happy by having a drink in our hands all the time , well I am the only person i have to keep happy when out, so sod the rest , that's the way i feel now
        AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

non alcoholic beer

Yep, me too Madman!! Sod them all
          Molly
          Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
          contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

non alcoholic beer

madmans;1055977 wrote: Hi Damo , i would stay away from them, as Molly said they would taste shit anyway. I think its best just to break away from the whole having a drink in your hand thing. when i am out i just have coke, one or two and i don't try to match it drink for drink. I think we try to make drinkers happy by having a drink in our hands all the time , well I am the only person i have to keep happy when out, so sod the rest , that's the way i feel now
            Brilliant MM. Me too.

I have to say about 3/4 months ago the same question came up. I had a bottle of AF wine in the garage that I hadn't touched so opened it and a had a couple of sips. Not only did it taste crap it set off a really bad craving that I hadn't had in well over a year. I didn't half spend an awkward hour or so getting rid of the craving.

Tap water all the way for me or a nice glass of fizzy water if we're out.
            It could be worse, I could be filing.
            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

non alcoholic beer

I drank them when I was pregnant over New Years-- at that time I did not have any issues with booze-- but I wanted to feel like I was joining in-- I know that this is a powerful feeling. I have read that they can whet the appetite for the taste of booze so shoudl be avoided. I probably would not drink thwm now-- not for their alcohol content but for the falso alcohol taste which they could bring.

Comment

non alcoholic beer

I had one last night that was good - an O'Doul's Amber. At no point during the evening did I become intoxicated or stricken with the urge to run out and get the "real" thing, but I suppose everybody's different. For me, it's an occasional treat.

Comment

non alcoholic beer

:no: :no: :no:
                  Most actually still have a small amount of AL in them, its also easy to then pick up the wrong drink, it tells your brain you are drinking beer so maybe a real one wouldnt be such a bad idea, you get the taste for a beer, others see you drinking and might top you up with a real one..... ITS NOT WORTH IT and it tastes like shite.
                  "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                  AF - JAN 1st 2010
                  NF - May 1996

Comment

non alcoholic beer

Damo your still very early in your journey, and imo i wouldn't go near them,it will only bring back good memories of drinking in which we all can have,its like a battle of the minds,To counter this remember why your here,There is lots of other & healthier drinks out there go for them,:-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

non alcoholic beer

Reinforcing behaviours. I've tried them in the past but to be honest I'm not really bothered. AL 'free' wine is just terrible. Without the hit it's a bit like "What's the point". As Alan Carr says in his book, we generally don't like the taste of alcohol, we just simply train ourselves into it.

I will say this though, after my recent binge on alcoho-pops I was finding I was craving that sweet taste more than anything. So I bought bottles of cherryade, and fruit-flavoured sparkling water(the really strong stuff). That got me through the first few days and now I'm not really that bothered.

The other thing you'll notice is that you have no need to have drink, after drink. Drinkers have several pints for the affect, not drinking you just won't have the urge at all. One or two lemonades will last all night.

Comment

non alcoholic beer

I tried AF beer over Christmas and ended up drinking this....

World's strongest beer Sink The Bismarck goes on sale at ?55 a bottle | Mail Online

OK, no it wasn't that strong but the result was much the same.

Comment

non alcoholic beer

I would think about it this way...

If you were trying to quit smoking would you purchse .05mg cigarettes and smoke them? Because with alcohol free drinks (the ultra light beers) that is basically what you are doing. It takes a six pack of them to = 1 light beer.

I would steer clear mate - why do that to yourself anyway ??
                          "The pain of regret far exceeds the pain of discipline"

Kind of AF since 14/8/09

Fully AF since 16/4/11

It's been one hell of a ride.

Comment

non alcoholic beer

Orange juice has the same amount of alcohol, to put things into perspective.

Comment

non alcoholic beer

Thanks all, sparkling water with blackcurrant it is so.
                              You have confirmed my fears. I am not taking any chances.
                              Even though I am in my early days AF, for the first time, I am feeling quietly confident that I can do this and stay sober.

For anyone from Ireland, there is a nice interview on the RTE website/player with olympic boxing champion Kenny Egan,on the Brendan O Connor show about his alcohol problems.
                              Actually, apologies,didnt mean to alienate anyone not from Ireland. ALL should watch it, its just that he is quite well known in Ireland.

Thanks again for the advice.

Damo
                              x
                              Still trying !!!
                              AF 25th June2014

Comment

Working...
                              X