JUST A THOUGHT.............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SO many of us here have had experiences, done things, gotten in trouble, and in the aftermath, said 'If I could only go back to before this happened, I would change what I did.' OK, we have that opportunity, RIGHT NOW.
    This is the present. This is the BEFORE we go out and embarrass/screw up/hurt our lives, and others. How many of you have said that to yourself AFTER you crashed and burned? When you get the urge to drink, do you think about the 'what ifs'?
    Just a thought, if you're sitting there, romancing the idea of 'just a couple of drinks'.
    I've read about, or known personally, people who irrevocably changed, or ended, lives, and would have given anything to change things. So, WHY are you even considering taking a chance, when you know the outcome will not be good. Perhaps even catastrophic!!
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

so so very true :thanks:
    Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
    Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Thank you ruby,

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

So very true.
        I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

I so agree with you Rubes, right now is all we have to deal with. Our future history is up to us, lets make it good
          "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
          AF - JAN 1st 2010
          NF - May 1996

Comment

Great post Ruby - very insightful.

Thanks
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Hubs was recently telling me one of his workers didn't make it in to work one morning, because as he drove down his street at 7:15 AM he watched in horror as a woman driver crossed the center line, up on the sidewalk, and plowed into a 7 yr/old girl, waiting for her school bus in front of her house. The child died at the scene. The woman was almost 3 times the legal limit for AL. Stupid, stupid, actions, that can never be taken back, and forever altered the lives of at least 2 families. Plus, he was so traumatized, he couldn't work anymore that week. He had to prevent the woman from driving away, while the child's parents tried to revive her.
              I am older than many of you. I've lost a lot of people because of AL. There is NO going back to the moment before. There will always be the waking up, wondering where you are, what you've done. Who you have to apologize to, and for what. There is nothing about this that makes AL better in our lives.
              I'm sorry to be depressing. I just REALLY want to impress on you what can happen. What will happen if we don't do something NOW. I watched a lifelong friend die this year, from AL. The formerly tiny little cheerleader I'd known was bloated, yellow. If I EVER considered bingeing again, that cured me.
              Please, all, think about the road you're travelling. You ARE important.
              sigpic
              awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

thanks mimzey
                xoxo
                I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

You'd think after constantly repeating the same mistakes over and over again I'd learn something from them. I always felt I had an option to change things in the past, the answer was there right in front of me. Yet still my fears got the better of me over and over and I drank then drank again without hesitation. I'd swear blind I wasn't going to drink that day and through sheer willpower alone I'd manage to get through the day (maybe) on the rare occasion. But all the time the voices would be plaguing me and telling me I'm worthless, I'm not good enough or I have control of it and I don't need any help. There was always this pendulum that swung with such an arc that there was never any happy medium. I was always reacting to the negatives or acting out on the positives; which in effect where just masking the reality of my drinking and my alcoholism. I was badly in denial and caught up in the delusion of my own fantasy world.

When I was caught up in that kind of delusional thinking then that obsession to drink was never going be dispelled. All morals and consequences of my actions went out the window. I'm not suggesting the "what if's" weren't there. Of course they where. But the consequences weren't. I hadn't learned to take any kind of responsibility for 'owning' my actions in life. Again and again I would do terrible things and hide from the shame I felt by making everything about other people or the world or anything else I could find to blame.

The harsh reality for many people is they don't have that choice anymore. I lost it many years ago and until I addressed the behavioural aspects of my alcoholism and 'owned' them I couldn't even begin to accept responsibility for my actions.

Needless to say I have choices in my life today that I fully understand the consequences of. I have a choice whether I pick up a drink today. I choose not to because I'm completely aware of what that would mean to me and my family and loved ones. I'm responsible for my actions; and my actions alone. No one else's. So as harsh at it may seem some times if people keep choosing to act in certain ways when they drink I have no control over that. As much as it upsets me at times when I see friends who've relapsed I believe we need every last drink to wake us up to ourselves.

Many Blessings
                  Phil
                  "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                  Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Thanks Ruby and Phil. Give me strength to get through another day.

Comment

As usual Ruby, perfectly said, and at the perfect time.
                      If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                      Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

I'm so hopeful this may help someone to STOP, and really think about what another drink means. And, as always, Phil, I love ya, Man!
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X