does any one else get overwhelming anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi: I have 21 days AF I do not want to drink but my mind is acting like how it did mornings after I did, Overwhelming guilt about things I have said or done, just playing over and over in my head,about the same things ,its like I just can not turn it off,just wanted to know if any one else ever feels this way or has any advice. Thanks so much Summer

Summer - I'm really sorry you are experiencing this. Are you feeling guilty about things you said or did when you were drinking? If so - try to let go of the past and concentrate on what an awesome job you've done for the past 21 days! Do you realize how great that is? If you are really feeling overwhelmed, maybe talking to a professional might help? Sorry I can't give you any better advice - maybe someone else here has been thru the same thing and can help you more than I can.

Hang in there friend - you are doing great!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Thanks Jolie: Some things I said and did while drinking but also things I have said since I have stopped, Its like the movie, liar liar stuff just seems to come out before I even think about it, not all bad but sometimes to much honesty can hurt others, and I keep obsessing about it to the point where I can not get to sleep.Just feel over sensitive and overwhelmed. Thanks for your encouraging words Summer

Comment

Hi Summer. I can totally relate to that as I too was incredibly anxious for weeks after going AF and had thoughts (many cringeworthy) and regrets that played in my head like a broken record... would someone please invent a time machine already!

Think that what I really needed was some sort of resolution, but unfortunately the other people that I had involved in my problems didn't want to know. Whatever it is that you feel guilt for though, you will know yourself that you need to move on and break the cycle for your own sanity.

I don't know your story and so can't offer any advice on how you can enable yourself to let go of your past, but for me I am learning that when forgiveness in not forthcoming outwith then I should let it to come from within.

Good luck!
        Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else

Comment

summer,

My anxiety decreased when I finally learned to forgive myself!
          Worrying about things you cannot change is a waste of energy.
          I found the Hypno CDs very helpful - if you have them use them!
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I hear you loud and clear re anxiety.

I have had it pretty badly for 10 years.

If you would like to talk about it feel free to PM me.
            "The pain of regret far exceeds the pain of discipline"

Kind of AF since 14/8/09

Fully AF since 16/4/11

It's been one hell of a ride.

Comment

Summer, I can completely relate to what you are saying. Sometimes it feels like that is all I think about--and yes, creating great anxiety. And then I sleep and have similar dreams. I wish I did have some wisdom for you but I will be eagerly waiting to see what thoughts you get from others.

Comment

I feel less alone

:thanks:Thank you all for the replys:The part of forgiving myself really hit me as even when others forgive me, I do not think that I really forgive myself especially when I break my own standards, if that makes any sense. I think alot of the reason I drank when I did is to shut my brain off just not feel anything, I guess, but then the next day everything is worse than the day before along with hating myself for drinking. I read on one of the posts a while ago that" there is not any problem that alcohol will not make worse"Now any time i even think about AL that pops into my head, I guess it will just take time but some days it is just hard living in my skin. Many thanks for the kind words it really helps just knowing there are people out there who care. Summer

Comment

Silly question: If you send or receive a PM does it come to mwo or to your reg e-mail box?

Comment

Hello Summer, A book that really helped me was Dr. Claire Weekes--Self-help for Your Nerves. It was not written especially for people with drinking problems--but just anxiety in general. It is a bit old fashioned but very easy and comforting to read. Which is a good thing when our brains are tired and stressed out! She gives some great advice about some of the things you mentioned. I carried my copy around for ages (it is worn and tattered now!) just so I could re-read certain passages to calm myself down. :l expat xxx

Comment

Thank you: Expat I will check it out,must be good if it is tattered. Summer

Comment

Summer, usually a PM will come to your User CP - (you will see "Private Messages" blinking in the right hand corner under your name - where it says Welcome, Summer)...........

How you receive messages depends on how you have it set up in your account. You have the option to set it up where the message will go to your personal e-mail. It's better to just let the message come to your MWO box for privacy reasons. You can always decide later whether or not to give your personal e-mail address to someone.

So, go to User CP/Control Panel/Edit Options/then check whether or not you want to enable e-mail messages. If you don't check that box, the message will come to your Private Message box only - not your e-mail.

Hope that explains it.

Regarding your anxiety - I know that counseling has helped so many people here - maybe you could try that? Or, of course, sef-help books. For me the anxiety is only present when I've had too much to drink.

Sending you peace and strength,

KG

Comment

Hi: KundaliniGirl: Thank you for the clear,easy explanation and directions so helpful. I take it by your name you do yoga? I love yoga it's the best exersize ever. Summer

Comment

Summer PMs go into your message box on here

I too suffer from anxiety and it is horrible, sending you :l I don't really know what to suggest other than as time goes by hopefully it will lessen? Are you anxious thinking you may start drinking again or just stressing over events? I find I dwell obsessively on conversations I have had where I might have inadvertently said something to upset someone but also I am worried I might not be able to live an AF life - hope you can overcome this hun :l
                            Taking it ODAT

Comment

Summer - yes, I do Kundalini Yoga w/Maya Fiennes - just tapes at home. I've done other kinds of yoga intermittently over the years, but like this the best. I like the mind/body/spirit connection. It's been really helpful for me, especially tapping into the spiritual aspect of life (something I have needed). The exercise part of it isn't super rigorous, but I think it's very beneficial.

xx,
                              KG

Comment

Working...
                              X