The Monday morning feeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you wake up on a Monday morning after an alcohol free weekend, feeling good and not hungover, would you say to yourself ?Gosh, I wish I drank myself stupid this weekend, all this feeling good on Monday is not for me!!??
    I don?t think so, you would be probably saying ?God, I feel great, I am so happy that I didn?t drink, I even saved a few bucks?

How many times did you wake up on a Monday after a weekend binge?, What were you wishing you did or didn?t do?
    If you were like me then this was a BIG list, I wish I didn?t drink, I wish I knew how I got home, I wish I didn?t make a fool of myself at the party, I wish, I wish ?.. All this quickly followed by withdrawal shakes and panic attacks.

When I stopped drinking, right at the start, I found Friday nights hard because I usually broke out on Friday. What got me through it was to ask myself ?what do I want to be saying to myself on Monday morning??
    When I asked myself that question and took the time to think about it, there was only going to be one sober outcome.

This is such a great post. Monday's are the drinker's nightmare, and up until a couple of weeks ago I thought that was just the price you had to pay for having the privilege of spending time in the company of your old friend AL.

How easily fooled and easily seducted I was. Now I am learning, I don't want to be fooled or seducted by something so false and destructive, I want to live a REAL life.

Thank you so much for this, it really is a reminder of the foolishness of it all.

Comment

I had the most lovely evening last night staying out at my friend's cabin. Had a great night's sleep, woke up to the most glorious morning and one of the first things i said to him was "morning's are one of the very best bits about my new AF life. I used to dread the day every time I woke up".
      He replied, "that's no way to live".

Too true. I am so thankful I don't have to feel that way any more!! It's hard to describe how good it feels.

Comment

Hello GBSS,

Love your posts, you speak much sense.
        Even though I am early in sobriety, I am loving Monday mornings, and tuesdays,wednesdays and so on

I spent so many Monday mornings with regret.

As I sit here on a Saturday night,with a nice cuppa tea, after spending the whole day in Croke Park watching the brilliant Dublin Football and hurling teams, with my 10 year old son,I couldnt be happier.

I had a really fun day, proper fun.
        I am tired now, I will hit the bed soon,have a great sleep, get up early in the morning and go for a run with a friend in the Pheonix Park.

Not drinking Alcohol is the way forward for me, I really hope this continues.
        For anyone in their very early days of staying sober, please, please stick with it, the cravings ease, and life just gets better and better

Hope all our well.
        UP THE DUBS !!!

Damo x
        Still trying !!!
        AF 25th June2014

Comment

Hi Bean, great to see you are going well
          Still trying !!!
          AF 25th June2014

Comment

Hi Damo

Thanks for saying I make sense!. After 2 years sober I have realised what exactly life is like with and without alcohol, and there is no comparison. I'm just posting my experience to try to help others. When I was drinking I never imagined that I could be able give up alchhol, I have to pinch myself sometimes to realise how far I have come.

I see you follow the Dub hurlers?, good win over Tipp yesterday!
            I am a proud Limerick hurling fan!

Comment

Hey GBSS, you are preaching to the choir. I am right there with you. To be mentally rested Monday, and be productive and feeling good, is so awesome. And like you say, to not have so many mistakes to have to live with, skeletons to burry, poison to get out of our bodiess...

Here is to the sober weekend.
              Hill
              Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

GBSS;1062914 wrote: If you wake up on a Monday morning after an alcohol free weekend, feeling good and not hungover, would you say to yourself ?Gosh, I wish I drank myself stupid this weekend, all this feeling good on Monday is not for me!!??
                I don?t think so, you would be probably saying ?God, I feel great, I am so happy that I didn?t drink, I even saved a few bucks?

How many times did you wake up on a Monday after a weekend binge?, What were you wishing you did or didn?t do?
                If you were like me then this was a BIG list, I wish I didn?t drink, I wish I knew how I got home, I wish I didn?t make a fool of myself at the party, I wish, I wish ?.. All this quickly followed by withdrawal shakes and panic attacks.

When I stopped drinking, right at the start, I found Friday nights hard because I usually broke out on Friday. What got me through it was to ask myself ?what do I want to be saying to myself on Monday morning??
                When I asked myself that question and took the time to think about it, there was only going to be one sober outcome.
                I also love your post....
                Thinking back many times trying to stop drinking, there were many times when i stop and i use to feel like that wishing i had a drink the night b4 on the monday morning, if i was honest....there were times i use to make up for times i had not drank on the days i was not drinking. I do know i was not in a right space in my head i was in the madness, but today i can say i am grateful to wake up on a monday morning and embrace the moment knowing and feeling am ok with a little on my face.....and i know that feeling have to pinch yourself, well done GBSS ....x
                Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Great points Everyone.

It is soooo true about HATING mornings when AL is in your life. And absolutely LOVING mornings when you are living sober.

Sober head on the pillow at night = No Regrets in the morning!

Comment

Working...
                  X