Drink toll warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drink toll warning

Hi all. Just a little something I found in the paper tdy I thought might be of interest.

Britain faces a liver 'time bomb' as deaths from cheap booze soar, scientists warned.
    Drinking is killing people in the uk faster than in countries with similar cultures. The death rate from alcohol related liver disease has doubled from 479 per 100,000 to 1174 since the mid 1980's.
    The royal college of physicians urged government action amid fears up to 8900 more boozers could die by 2019.

Food for thought for sure.
    My love to all
    Cy.
    To Infinity And Beyond!!

Drink toll warning

Omgosh that is insane.

Comment

Drink toll warning

Yeah it's been all over the news. The goverment are thinking about giving liecences to people who are allowed to drink...
      i think it will be a waste of money as people will make fakes, steal, rob others for it... people will buy drinks for others ect ect
      Instead i think they should just make people aware of what can happen if you drink loads for a long period of time.. Show pics of the end result..I know it sounds harsh, but make people aware of what drinking does do us, what can happen...
      Sad fact is, If people want to drink, they'll drink no matter what. No matter if you need a licence or how much money and effort has been put into it.

Comment

Drink toll warning

Prohibiting booze to the ones that want it the most would absolutely cause a cottage industry, black market, and bathtub gin a la USA during Prohibition. Have you guys read the book Water for Elephants? It's about that era, and the drunk dies from the cheap booze, apparently lethal amounts of alcohol is in "homemade" distilleries.

Comment

Drink toll warning

Bruunhilde, I was just thinking the exact same thing that Prohibition did NOT work. (well, I think it worked really well for the bootleggers profits.... just not the people who wanted to be rid of AL!! )

Water for Elephants was a sad book but I couldn't put it down. :upset:

Every life lost to AL is a tragedy.

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Drink toll warning

I'm not surprised there is a time bomb out there. We drank a lot in our teens and 20's but ( I sound like my mother now!) the amount the young folk are drinking now really scares me for them. Lots of my kids friends and younger work colleagues regularly drink as much as I was drinking at the end - which was a horrendous amount. It is a very very dangerous drug, don't know the answer but!
            Molly
            Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
            contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Drink toll warning

I agree Molly. The amount that I see the friends of my son drink are INSANE!!!!!
              "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Drink toll warning

the '3 for 10 pound' aisle springs to mind, and the cases upon cases of beer for 7 pounds in Asda. Who stops the madness though? Us or them?

Comment

Drink toll warning

NoraC;1064011 wrote: I agree Molly. The amount that I see the friends of my son drink are INSANE!!!!!
                  I saw so many kids walking around drinking out of beer bongs, or whatever those contraptions are this weekend. Sad.

Comment

Working...
                  X