Going to the Dr. today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to the Dr. today.

I did the Alcohol withdrawl quiz online yesterday. I came up with 10 out of 20 withdrawl questions answered, I was advised to seek a Dr. Before I tried to to quit drinking on ky own. Good news is, I can still be treated as an outpatient and dont have to seek out a detox institution.
    Omg people, I never ever thought Id be in this spot.

Going to the Dr. today.

*hugs* You're doing the right thing. None of ever thought we'd get to where we are now but HEY,at least we're doing something about it!!!!
    Well done for getting help! Let us know how it goes!

Comment

Going to the Dr. today.

Hi RedGirl1977,

Don't think I said hello but :welcome:.

First of all don't panic. Your doc will probably want to know the amount and pattern of your drinking and then prescribe some sort of Valium/Librium to help you slowing detox from AL.

It's done over a short period 5/7 days starting at a high dose then gradually tapering down to nothing. The first few days you'll be tired out and bit by bit you'll start feeling a bit more lively.

I've done a few home de-toxes. The last one being July 2009 and with the help of my doctor and MWO I'm pleased to say I've been AF ever since.

J x
      :l
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Going to the Dr. today.

good luck and be well. Good on you for seeking help.
        I never thought I would do some of the stupid crap I have done either!!
        I love my family more than alcohol.:h
        Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Going to the Dr. today.

How did it go?

Comment

Going to the Dr. today.

He said he couldnt help me until A has been out of my system for 48hrs. Last night hubby came home. I was crying having a panic attack because of the elecrric shocks all over my body. Panic attack. He gave me one of his sleeping pills, it worked like an instant antianxiety med. 15 mins after I was done crying, and the pins and needles were gone. The drug was called Zopiclone 7.5mg, anyone know anything about it?

Comment

Going to the Dr. today.

It's one of a family of sleep agents known collectively as "hypnotics." They mimic but aren't the same as benzodiazepenes (valium, xanax, etc.) They're generally prescribed for short term treatment of sleep problems, and for some people they also have an anti-anxiety effect.

These hypnotics work very quickly to put you to sleep, and they have a relatively short half-life, so when you awaken in the morning, there's usually no hangover effect. If you wonder why they're commonly called 'hypnotics' it's because they can cause exactly the same effect as an alcohol blackout. A person under the influence who tries to engage in activity may have no memory of the event at all, and may not even know they got out of bed in the first place.

When these drugs were first developed, many physicians prescribed them in the belief that they did not promote dependence (like nearly all the benzodiazepines do), but that myth has been effectively thrashed in the past decade. Hypnotics can be just as difficult to quit as AL, benzos, etc, and must be titrated gradually over several weeks.

These drugs work, but many users find that the effectiveness diminishes at the same time that dependence begins to develop. Use them judiciously.
              Resisting all Magical Thinking...one day at a time

Comment

Working...
              X