Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tough living situation to ask y'all about...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My husband hates his job. Understandably so?he gets paid very little and puts up with a lot. He is a 1st shift (non-union) factory worker, and he gets jacked around on hours every day. (His normal 1st shift typically goes like this: 7-3, then 6-3, then 4-3, then Saturdays, and Sundays here and there. Next week? Change it all up again, and don't forget the meeting, UNPAID, after 3!) There is a serious management problem at his job, and it drives him nuts. I could never do what he does, and I really commend him for getting and keeping the same job for several years.

My job drives me nuts. It's a dead-end, and my company is mismanaged too. In addition to having pensions discontinued, insurance raised significantly for less coverage each year, no quarterly bonuses, no 401k matching, mandatory drug testing for office workers due to a union agreement (even though we are non-union), no doctors appts. during the day (you HAVE to take a half day vacation, instead of making up the hour at the end of the day, for example), AND the 'heir to the throne' who is a micro-manager and routinely snoops through peoples computers and ends conversations with "...and I'm not ASKING you, I'm TELLING you." (there's a bunch more I'm forgetting, but you get the gist).

(I know that wasn't a cohesive paragraph, and for that I apologize. We now return you to your regularly scheduled subject.)

I went part-time in September by choice. I am in the process of starting up a business on the side, while still having 20 hours of 'regular' income (for now). What used to be 'the man-cave/office' in our house has now been transformed into my "Zen Den".

My own business involves concentrating. A lot. For hours at a time, trying to be creative. Write copy for ads or what have you. Compose and record music. Sit back and think about color schemes. Talk to printing companies. Tutor on software in my home.

(crowd: "Quit yer bitchin' and get to the point!"
    )

Okay, okay. Here it is: my husband wants to move to third shift to get away from the 1st shift BS by the 'suits'. On one hand, I don't want him to go insane over his job. He loves 3rd shift. BUT! This will mean that he will be home, drinking beer and (god, just heard him pop another one now, hee hee) playing XBox Live bombing and sirens and helicopters and gunshots and screams games.

Members of MWO, WHAT IN THE HELL DO I DO? I am SO trying to succeed in building a business, and I am SO trying to abstain or successfully moderate my drinking. I'll be getting up shortly before he comes home, and when it's the best time of my day to creep around the house in silence and conjure up great artistic ideas and write down goals...and the Conversation will start. And beer. And Modern Warfare. And "HO-HO-HO?babe! You gotta see this funny video!"

Help me, please...I'm so bummed I just can't reach the solution by myself.

Thanks all...:upset:
    "The Pessimist complains about the wind; the Optimist expects it to change; the Realist adjusts the sails."

—William A. Ward

I'm just saying...............I hear you girl!

It sounds like a very tough situation to find yourself in.
    Try and think of just one positive thing about your life. Maybe it is your new business or family.

Be strong.......

:l
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

I only wish I had that problem !!
      I have not worked in in almost 18 months.
      I was making about 100k a year.
      Now only unemployment.

I do hope you figure out what is best for you.
      But do try and see a little good in what you have.

Sorry I'm sure this is not the response you were looking for.

Heads up !! Be happy !

MUCH LOVE

Bob

Comment

I think you have to talk to him about it. Tell him, in a calm, nonconfrontational way, your concerns: about the drinking, the noise, and your need for quiet. See what he says. Try and negotiate. Maybe it will help, maybe not, but it will be out on the table.

I've been married a long time and realized my husband is not a mind reader. I have to be real clear to him what I need and want, then it is up to him. It has helped us to stay married, and he will tell me what he needs, too. We have changed jobs alot in the past years, and always have to renegotiate our lifestyles, who will do what, etc. Better to talk about it calmly, maybe over a nice dinner? Or, after dinner. They respond better after eating.:H

This is just a suggestion, good luck.
        Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

N - wouldn't he understand that he can't make noise while you're trying to work/be creative? That would make me absolutely crazy. I work from home and my husband accommodates me by wearing headphones that plug into our TV. It's a great solution if you can swing it!!

Best of luck.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions...we'll figure it out sooner or later. :-)
            "The Pessimist complains about the wind; the Optimist expects it to change; the Realist adjusts the sails."

—William A. Ward

Comment

Working...
            X