Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antabuse before surgery?

Hi All:

I'm trying not to drink before my surgery which is scheduled in two weeks. Do you think it's okay to take Antabuse these couple of weeks before the surgery. If I took one pill every few days, I would think it would be better for me than drinking before surgery. I can't seem to quit cold turkey. My doctor is on vacation otherwise I would ask her.

Thanks!

Antabuse before surgery?

I had the same issue. I had to stop the Antabuse. The thing is Antabuse isn't just used to cause bad effects with al it's also to be used with drugs. It lines your tubes. You really should stop taking it 2 weeks before surgery as many drugs will be used and you don't know what could cause a reaction. I know that you can't use morphine with it and that's a common drug used to help with pain after surgery! I know it's a rough deal but better to be safe then sorry.

Comment

Antabuse before surgery?

Probably not good to take it. I only take 1/2 tab once or twice a week. I takes it about 4 or 5 days to wear off just the 1/2.

Comment

Antabuse before surgery?

Hi Faith,

I think you need to disclose the fact that you are taking antabuse to your surgeon and anesthetist. They are the best position to be able to manage it and think about any possible interactions. This is not a time to be feeling ashamed or anxious about being on antabuse - your health is at stake.

Best of luck for your surgery

:l
        Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Antabuse before surgery?

Good question. You can also try talking to your pharmacist until you can get hold of your doctor on Monday.
          "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Antabuse before surgery?

If you can't really remain AF until your surgery I believe you need an intensive treatment there after as well.There is no point of shame to be treated at all using doctor, therapist ,rehab.etc. that is the only solution in my opinion!
            I suggest you to go for rehabilitation centre rather than thinking other wayout and spend all the time until surgery so it could be easier to handle your craving? ??? Only my thought! !!
            Dixon
            A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

Comment

Working...
            X