Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army Thread 28th February

Good morning, Army

Please spare a thought for the Western Cape today. We're experiencing heatwave conditions, with temperatures of 40C and higher. These are coupled with very strong winds. It creates perfect conditions for runaway fires. We have had devastating fires for three years running, affecting both nature areas and densely populated squtter camps (shanty towns). The nature reserve close to where we live suffered extensive fire damage three years ago and the vegetation has still not recovered.

Anyhoo... I guess it's back to "normal" for all those who were a the meetup this weekend, albeit with good memories to treasure

Welcome to a new week, folks - and almost to a new month.
    I'll do whatever it takes
    AF 21/08/2009

Good morning, The Western Cape will be in my thoughts today Tips:l. Back to normal alright-it's Monday!! Early start today so I'd better run. Have a great day everyone!

Comment

tiptronic_ct;1067368 wrote: Good morning, Army

Please spare a thought for the Western Cape today. We're experiencing heatwave conditions, with temperatures of 40C and higher. These are coupled with very strong winds. It creates perfect conditions for runaway fires. We have had devastating fires for three years running, affecting both nature areas and densely populated squtter camps (shanty towns). The nature reserve close to where we live suffered extensive fire damage three years ago and the vegetation has still not recovered.

Morning Tips Yes I will keep the Western Cape in my thoughts. Is such a heatwave very unusual?

Bonjour Expat have a lovely Monday.

Hiya everyone to come I have to get in early as I can not do too many hellos at my great age!:H

Comment

Hiya Expat & Anon

Anon: this is the hottest time of year for us. It's just that it's been getting hotter and hotter every year and it's lasting for longer. This long stretch of heat is fairly unusual - we've been hovering around the mid 30s and higher for over a month now, with just a very few cooler days. The problem is that vegetation is tinder-dry, so fires take hold very easily when there's wind.
        AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Good morning Army!!

:wavin: to Mrs. A, Ex-patty and Mr. Tiptronic and hello to all who drop by later.

Tips - thoughts are with you today. I know just what you mean about the dryness and the heat. We go through that every summer here in Greece and the temps in a heatwave can go as high as 45C. Then after months of no rain, we always get high winds in August and always have forest fires. It's heartbreaking how many acres of forest are burned every year not to mention the loss of homes and of course the wildlife. Hopefully they've taken the proper measures there and if a fire starts, it will be put out quickly. I know that's difficult with the high winds.

Wishing you all a pleasant and productive day...
          For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
          AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Morning Tigger Expat Anon and Stirly

My thoughts are with the western cape today Tiggs...

Yep home today after a lovely weekend. Legs ache from walking and tummy aches from laffing, so success all round I say

Still in bed right now, will have brekkkie soon and then make my way home
            Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
            Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Morning Stirly and Starty.
              Army back in the barracks after a busy weekend.

Comment

Hiya Stirly & Starty

Starts: has Oney returned home yet or is she also still there?
                AF 21/08/2009

Comment

She is still in her pit too
                  Think we will go and do some shopping after brekkie

Comment

Sheesh... that's the life
                    AF 21/08/2009

Comment

I have had such a brilliant weekend. It really has done me so much good.

Comment

Hi again troopers.

:hello: Startypants. Sounds like you and Oney will have another fun day together.

Comment

Good morning guys,

So sorry to hear of the hotness Tipps, I hope there will be no fires.

Just time for a bit more shopping before i set off home to Wob and the kiddies. had a wonderful weekend and one I will remember for a LONG time to come. x
                          "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                          NF 12th May 2010

Comment

startingover;1067439 wrote: I have had such a brilliant weekend. It really has done me so much good.one2many;1067442 wrote: Good morning guys,

So sorry to hear of the hotness Tipps, I hope there will be no fires.

Just time for a bit more shopping before i set off home to Wob and the kiddies. had a wonderful weekend and one I will remember for a LONG time to come. x
                            Glad to hear that you all had such a wonderful time. We want pictures!!!

Oney - Where's yer big butt??

Comment

I am putting the big butt to rest, never to be resurrected, I have an arse like that now so it is no longer a dream of mine...
                              "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                              NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X