Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antabuse

Hi all,

Can i just ask anyone been on Antabuse and been able to drink with it with only a few minor side effects?

Mariec x :thanks:

Antabuse

not that I know of marie.......sorry
    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Antabuse

Hi Marie. It is extremely dangerous to even attempt to drink while on antabuse. From what I have researched, it can seriously harm your liver. Certainly not something to take a chance with. You have to be sure not to drink for at least 10 days after taking it to be sure that it's out of your system.
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Antabuse

Hi Marie,

It might be worth looking through this thread.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...use-48209.html

There is someone who drank after 5/7 days and reported no ill effects but I think that must be just pure good luck from what I've heard about this drug.
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Antabuse

IMHO, if your query is referring to 'someone else' who says they are able to drink on Antabuse, then 'someone else' is not taking the meds as directed. My two cents.
          As far as starting out on Antabuse, most Docs recommend at least 24 hours (back in the day, it was 48) of abstinence before your first dose. My Doc recommended 12 hours. I waited 18 with no ill effects.
          "The Pessimist complains about the wind; the Optimist expects it to change; the Realist adjusts the sails."

—William A. Ward

Comment

Antabuse

Well, if you're taking antabuse... there is a reason you're taking it.. not to drink.. right? so ride the thoughts and remember why you're doing this hunni! It's not worth it and drinking could be deadly. If you don't want to quit drinking then it's best you come off this med as antabuse is VERY VERY VERY strong stuff and you'll do soo much more harm drinking on this then just drinking full stop.
            I know it's hard but it canbe done...Stay busy XX PM me hunni if you need me.. remember YOU CAN DO THIS, AL is only a liquid!

Comment

Antabuse

My doc made me wait 48 hrs alright before even starting antabuse - and the one time I did drink after it, I know it was at least 8 days later prob nearer 10 sorry I can't be more precise, it's a good while ago, I was so ill I actually thought I would die. My body temperature rocketed and my skin blotched up purple and pink and truly I wouldn't wish the way I felt on my worst enemy. Only a fool would drink within prob a fortnight of taking it IMHO!
              I agree with michelle - why are we taking it - to not drink - no brainer in my opinion! Be strong, the pull of booze will ease with time - quite a short time, I promise!!
              Molly
              Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
              contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Antabuse

mama bear;1068385 wrote: not that I know of marie.......sorry
                Ok thanks Mamma Bear x

Comment

Antabuse

NoraC;1068389 wrote: Hi Marie. It is extremely dangerous to even attempt to drink while on antabuse. From what I have researched, it can seriously harm your liver. Certainly not something to take a chance with. You have to be sure not to drink for at least 10 days after taking it to be sure that it's out of your system.
                  Hi NoraC,

Thanks for the info x

Comment

Antabuse

JackieClaire;1068402 wrote: Hi Marie,

It might be worth looking through this thread.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...use-48209.html

There is someone who drank after 5/7 days and reported no ill effects but I think that must be just pure good luck from what I've heard about this drug.
                    Thanks JC will have a look

Mariec x

Comment

Antabuse

mollyka;1068640 wrote: My doc made me wait 48 hrs alright before even starting antabuse - and the one time I did drink after it, I know it was at least 8 days later prob nearer 10 sorry I can't be more precise, it's a good while ago, I was so ill I actually thought I would die. My body temperature rocketed and my skin blotched up purple and pink and truly I wouldn't wish the way I felt on my worst enemy. Only a fool would drink within prob a fortnight of taking it IMHO!
                      I agree with michelle - why are we taking it - to not drink - no brainer in my opinion! Be strong, the pull of booze will ease with time - quite a short time, I promise!!
                      Molly
                      Thanks Mollyka jeez thats scary

:thanks: mariec x

Comment

Antabuse

Nichau;1068435 wrote: IMHO, if your query is referring to 'someone else' who says they are able to drink on Antabuse, then 'someone else' is not taking the meds as directed. My two cents.
                        As far as starting out on Antabuse, most Docs recommend at least 24 hours (back in the day, it was 48) of abstinence before your first dose. My Doc recommended 12 hours. I waited 18 with no ill effects.
                        Hi Nichau,

Yeah i had heard 24 hrs after your last drink and at least 14 days after your last dose.

:thanks:

Mariec x

Comment

Working...
                        X