I want to Know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to Know

What it's like to wake up without feeling depressed and angry with myself because I drank the night before,
    What it's like to have a great workout at the gym and feel energized instead of skipping the gym because I'm hung over,
    What it's like to have a day where alcohol isn't a thought,
    What it's like to not have to worry about being in situations where others are drinking because I am comfortable and confident in my decision NOT to drink,
    What it's like to beat this terrible addiction!

As you all know and understand...I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired! In February I had gone 12 days AF, which isn't alot but it was alot for me. I was drinking a bottle of wine, by myself, about 4 days a week for at least the last 6 years. Two weeks ago, I made the decision, against everyone's good advise, to go away with friends for the weekend, who were drinking...and what happened? I thought I could drink during the weekend and then stop when I got home but I was fooled. During the past 2 weeks, I've gone back to drinking the wine again...most of the time not the whole bottle but I feel like crap!

So today, March 6th, I am re-dedicating myself to my sobriety. I am going to be paitent, kind and understanding with myself. I'm going to pray, eat right and drink lots of water and I'm going to meditate and try to focus on my relationships with the Lord, my Husband and my Children.

Today is AF day number 1 for me and when I feel depressed or tempted or think that I can just handle one drink, I'm going to come back and read this post and remind myself where I eneded up when I thought I could have just one!
    Gidget 1016

"Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out":h

I want to Know

Great plan, Gidge. You CAN accomplish your goals, and we will help you, if you want. It IS wonderful to wake without regrets, and know we can do whatever our bodies will allow. Hang in there, hon!!
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

I want to Know

Hi Gidget. I can totally relate to your experience. I too got a small amount of AF time under my belt at first, and then thought I could drink a little and control it. Oh boy. I cannot do that.

The good news is that many of us have had to learn that particular lesson the hard way, and many of us are here and sober. You can do it too. I love your plan.

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I want to Know

Gidge, I think we have all had those thoughts and experiences. I know that if someone could come up with something that would turn a person who does have a problem with alcohol into a normal drinker he or she would make millions! Even on these threads , I read about so many people taking large doses of bac on their own and having to endure challenging side effects in order to accomplish this.
        One obvious way to eliminate the many and painful results of drinking is to not drink in the first place. Something that seems so simple but is HARD. but in the end, not as hard as dealing with the chaos and regret that drinking causes.
        Best of luck to you! We are all here to help and support you.
        G

Comment

I want to Know

Thanks so much for the encouragement! I felt like such a failure I didn't even want to post on the site but I'm so glad that I did. I think acceptance is a BIG part of the process!:thanks:
          Gidget 1016

"Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out":h

Comment

I want to Know

Gidget1016;1071375 wrote: I think acceptance is a BIG part of the process!:thanks:
            I don't think recovery can begin without it. :l Mine sure didn't anyway.

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I want to Know

Hey Gidget - good job on starting fresh. I am a wine drinker like you and have been sober over 4 months now with the help of these people encouraging me and being awesome. It is hard, but get some sober days under your belt again and now you know moderating is not in the cards - at least no time soon. I toyed wth the thought of moderating, but I just can't. It is all or nothing for me and I have come to accept it. As sucky as it SEEMS, it really isn't. Life is so much better now for me, my kids, my husband and everyone else. Best of luck to you friend.
              February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

I want to Know

Nice Post Gidget.

Comment

Working...
                X