Wondering about people who have self-recovered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this abstact and considered making a self recovery thread. What do you think?

Introduction and Aims. Many studies which assess functioning in recovering problem drinkers are limited to early recovery within inpatient or detoxification settings, or focus on relapse rates and treatment outcomes. This study assesses how functioning varies according to recovery stage and abstinence duration. Design and Methods. Fifty-three recovering problem drinkers participated from mutual aid groups or snowball recruitment. Cross-sectional interviewer-administered structured questionnaires assessed quality of life (QoL), self-esteem, self-efficacy, psychological and physical health. Participants could also self-complete the questionnaire. Results. Those in ?stable recovery? (5 or more years into recovery, n = 18) reported higher ratings of: three aspects of QoL?social relationships, psychological health, environment, as well as self-esteem (P < 0.05 for all variables) than those in ?early? (up to 5 years into recovery, n = 35). Depression was lower in ?stable recovery? (P = 0.027). Those in ?stable recovery? were more likely to live in their own home without professional support (P = 0.010) and have partners who had never been problem drinkers (P = 0.024). Overall, the continuous scores of many functioning variables correlated with abstinence duration indicating a continuous gain in functioning. Discussion and Conclusions. Although limited by sampling considerations, this paper shows a gradual growth in functioning over a prolonged recovery process, and provides positive findings that those in recovery may expect to experience improvements in many areas of life as abstinence duration increases. For two aspects of QoL?environment and social relationships?functioning reaches a level above population norms offering hope of moving to a functioning level beyond the pre-morbid state.[Hibbert LJ, Best DW. Assessing recovery and functioning in former problem drinkers at different stages of their recovery journeys. Drug Alcohol Rev 2011;30;12?20]
    The most exhausting thing in life is being insincere.

Im not sure I understand what you mean. What is a self recovery thread? I would like to hear more. Is MWO not self recovery?
    I am a sobriety tart. AA/Smart/RR philosophy, meds/diet/exercise/prayer,rabbbits feet/four leaf clovers/horseshoes. Yes please.I will have them all thank you very much.Bring them on

There is no way the bottle is going to be stronger than I am.

Comment

I too am confused about the self recovery part. I'm really glad you provided this article though. I am happy to hear that things keep getting better over time with abstinence! That is what I have experienced so far, and glad to know that others experience that too. (beyond just what I see here!)

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Ihave some cognitive impairment, just intuit what you think I mean, and it might be right

Comment

Cryptic crosswords make me cry. I dont think I would be very good at this end of the line. Ok my best guess-I think it might be one of those think tanks that say you have as much chance of getting sober on your own as you would In AA? I have heard that idea before. OK on the .05% chance Im right I have no issues about how people get sober. People can get sober in a treehouse if it works for them. In fact I just made a post a few minutes ago saying that I was a sobriety tart. I travel all round MWO picking up bits and pieces of every theory.So am I right?
          I am a sobriety tart. AA/Smart/RR philosophy, meds/diet/exercise/prayer,rabbbits feet/four leaf clovers/horseshoes. Yes please.I will have them all thank you very much.Bring them on

Comment

Coalfire, I don't know if you're right but I totally love "Sobriety Tart!" :H:H I think you should put that in your siggy line for sure!

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I just saw the funniest line somewhere - somthing like 58% of statistics are made up on the spot. LOL

Comment

Im glad I made you laugh! Its true. AA/Smart/RR/ philosophy,meds/diet/prayers/rabbits feet/4 leaf clovers/upside down horseshoes- Yes please. I will have them all thank you very much. Bring them on.

Comment

There I took your advice and made it my signature. Do you like it? I have never had a signature before. You're right. I should have one.

Comment

Other than feeling sorry for the rabbit ............whose feet you have.................

Comment

I will attest to the fact that QoL does improve with the legnth of sobriety. Just short of three years here. A "self-recovered" sobriety thread would be interesting. Different things work for different people. Something someone reads just may click. It doesn't matter how we get there. It's just that we finally make it!
                      "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

Thankyou for that insight Sheri.

Comment

The two authors from the University of Birmingham actually note in their introduction summary that this study was limited by sampling. That's an understatement, really. n=53 is so small it's impossible to draw meaninfully conclusions about any of it. And clearly the method of sampling--the selection of those being subject to the research question--is so biased that, again, there's no way to determine if (or to what extent) the sample group is representative of the target population. That makes all interpretations of 'results' highly dubious. Too bad. The research question is still a very good one, deserving of valid study methods; I hope it gets done.
                          Resisting all Magical Thinking...one day at a time

Comment

End of the line-glad to see better brains than mine have weighed in.

Kundalinigirl-"Other than feeling sorry for the rabbit ............whose feet you have...."

I wont let him die in vain. I promise..:angel:

Comment

Maybe they only get the feet off of rabbits that are dead already????? Let's hope so. YOu know you can buy rabbit at the market. And I have never seen the feet tucked into the package. But hey.....why are rabbits feet lucky, anyway?
                              Sorry for the digression.

Comment

Working...
                              X