SMART groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMART groups

I have started going to SMART groups over the past 2 weeks (since I last drank) and just wanted to let you all know how great I'm finding them. I have been on this roller coaster of trying to quit drinking for years now and know I need support and help to sustain any kind of sobriety. AA and 12 steps are not for me and I have despaired of ever finding a support group that would suit me. The approach in SMART of using cognative behavioural therapy and the face to face group which is really friendly and informal really do seem to fit me so well. I am feeling genuinely positive about myself and my life for the first time in years.

SMART groups

Hi All
    Great to hear you are finding your answers to this problem

Stay Healthy and keep Fighting
    AF 5-16-08
    Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
    AF 5-16-08

Comment

SMART groups

I have heard great thinks about SMART and Im a big fan of cognative behaviour therapy, unfortunatley there are no groups over here. I would love to hear more about it as you go forward Spacebe if you wouldnt mind sharing.
      "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
      AF - JAN 1st 2010
      NF - May 1996

Comment

SMART groups

Wonderful! I say whatever works is what you should do. So happy you have found your niche! Stay happy and stay sober. It's SOOOOO worth it
        February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

SMART groups

Don't know where you are located but glad you have found a meeting nearby

I just looked up SMART meetings in my state (PA) a few days ago. There are 3 closed meetings (2 prison, one hospital) & 1 other that is located clear across the state (5-6 hr drive). Shame, I have a feeling so many people would benefit if they could attend meetings.
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

SMART groups

Hi Space Bebe,

Thanks for posting about this - i think there is not nearly enough info about Smart available. I didn't even know it was CBT based.

I have done CBT and found that it was not entirely helpful for my (multiple!) problems, mostly due to my own attitude to it. I found it invalidating and I need to constantly be validated (thanks, Personality Disorder!). Still, I know it helps MANY people tremendously.

Although i can't abide the notion of CBT, there was some interesting stuff there which has made me think about how I think and has lead me to try to temper my reactionary thoughts a bit. I now look for the positives in every situation, because I choose to. It took lots of practice, but is a great gift/skill to have. I am much happier now that I can do this rather than colapsing into doom and gloom mood with the slightest setback or misfortune.

I am delighted to hear you say how positive you feel about Smart and I really hope it works for you. Please do keep us posted on how it's going.

This is a good, free resource for CBT self-help that anyone can use at home - I have run through it a few times myself: MoodGYM: Welcome It's supposed to be for anxiety and depression, but I guess you could apply it to any 'wonky thinking'.

K x
            Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

SMART groups

Well done spacbebe, what ever can help you in this fight, Good luck and keep postsing and let us no how you get on.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

SMART groups

Thanks for the replies, I needed to hear them today problems at home, my son wont go to school dont know if hes ill or just pretending, 3rd day staying in with him, this is a real trigger for me being stuck at home with him crying all day also the education authority threatening me with fine or prison. But strangely enough I seem to be coping with it just now, hope to stay that way for the rest of the day.

Comment

SMART groups

Hang in there Spacebebe,

There is great power in your sobriety. Have you read the toolbox thread here? Some great info and strategies/tip's to stay off the grog.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                  X