Small things great about being sober

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got up 15 minutes early this morning and made my 10 yr old son a smoothie before he went to school which he loved. I was hungover most mornings before I quit and making smoothies would be the furthest thing on my mind.
    I went to work smiling knowing I made my son that little bit happier.
    I am also going to bring him to see a big football match on Saturday, something that I would never do as it would mean I couldnt drink as much as I normally would on a Saturday night.
    There are so many small things great about being sober.
    Please, feel free to share the nice small things that you are experiencing that you wouldnt normally, whilst drinking

Hope all are well

Damo in Dublin
    x
    Still trying !!!
    AF 25th June2014

I will have my daughter's 3 children for 3 days this weekend, a joy and priviledge my drinking denied me in the past. Can't wait!!
    There are SO many more things, but I'm so happy for you and your son.
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Damo,

You are doing great! I bet he will LOVE the football match!

One of the things I notice is the"light" feeling I have, drink does not enter into the equation any more, it's kinda like someone lifted that burden away from me and I no longer feel bogged down with it. Don't have to deal with the whole drinking issue, I can go out and dance, eat a lovely meal, go to a birthday party, have a quiet weekend at home and drink just doesn't figure in my life at all..no worrying, plotting, planning, forgetting, remembering, excusing,escaping,masking, burying, justifying..I just do what I want to do without that cloud over my head...the milestone round my neck is gone and I am walking on water instead of floundering in it.

It feels feckin amazing.
      "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
      NF 12th May 2010

Comment

I'm with you there One 2 Many - I feel exactly the same way.

Congrats Damo on your progress. You always seem very upbeat about being AF which is inspiring to read! I wanted to share a small story about a friend whose son just turned 5. He asked his Dad if he was going to come to his birthday party and said, "I hope you're coming because you came late last year". His father isn't an alcoholic, he was late the previous year because of looking after their other child but it shocked both parents that the son had remembered it and made them realise how much children pick up and really care that their parents are present for them.

You say making the smoothie for your son is only a small thing but I am sure your sober love and attention speaks volumes to him. It's great that you are now able to do these little things that mean so much.
        Bean

Comment

Congrats Damo - it just keeps getting better & better

I spent about 6 hours caring for my almost 1 month old granddaughter today
          That never would have been possible if I had continued to drink.
          I am grateful!!
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

one2many;1083258 wrote: ..no worrying, plotting, planning, forgetting, remembering, excusing,escaping,masking, burying, justifying.....
            Sooo true!!

Being sober in the evenings and being able to take my son and his friend swimming. Could never do that before. All errands had to be done by 5pm so I could start drinking.
            :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

Damo, little things like making a lovely smoothie for your lad, taking him to the footy and generally just being there 100% for him are fantastic incentives.

My little things are having more energy for my running and gardening, spending real quality time with the people I love, and rediscovering the joys of reading. I always loved to read, but couldn't really focus on a book when I was drinking. Always forgetting my place and having to go back and re-read chapters etc.

I have been to the library almost every week, going through books like nobody's business. Right now I am reading two, Murder most Fab by Julian Clary, and Fury by Salman Rushdie...yes, let's just say my tastes are 'eclectic' lol.

Comment

Hey Damo, great thread. I am right there with you bud.

It seems, that I am engaged in parenting, in a whole different way. Engaged in weekend activities in a whole different way. It's kind of like, when you are a kid, and you have eat most of your supper (not really paying it much attention) to get to your dessert. Well, on the weekends, like you, I always wanted to be close to my beer fridge. So everything else was done, but kind of mindlessly, waiting to get drinking.

Of course, I would slowly medicate myself, and drink all weekend, which further disenganged me.

There is so much more to squeeze out of life than booze. A lot of it, comes in daily small packages; like doing something nice for your son.

Rock on,
                Hill
                Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Good for you damo, keep it going as it does get even get better.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                  I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Working...
                  X