NERALY WENT BACK DRINKING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone just thought I would share this, The last 5 weeks I have gone through a very tough time, Had an awful amount of emotional hurt & angry feelings to deal with (some of you know what it was) and it really brought me down, it brought me so down that I nearly went back drinking,I actually had it planed out and ready to go on a binge for a week and then to stop and start all over again Just to drown my sorrows and self pity. In my head I was justifying that a week drinking would solve all my internally issues and heartache, I have never came so close to drinking before and it was only with talking it out with my partner that I decided that it was a ridiculous idea and would only bring me back to the old sorry person that I once was and loose everything that I have gained, Even though I am 2 and halfish years alcohol free I no now how easy it is that the power thought of alcohol can easily still come into our minds especially when we feel so vulnerable, We are always just one drink away from falling back into that horrible life, I feel & hope that I have overcome this urge to drink and with reading posts & threads here and talking to all my friends & family I am now getting back my old self confidence, Thanks.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Dear Mario,
    You have been a source of inspiration to so many. Your post that at 2.5 years and you still have cravings helps us all realize how this journey is really ODAT. Keep the faith.
    Free at Last
    "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
    http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Wow, it just goes to prove that even the heroes of MWO can be tempted to falter too. You have always stood out in my mind as one of the few strong, stable, collected members of MWO. Your advice is always so positive and well thought out. You have made some very valuable comments on my threads and I am so happy for you that you had the presence of mind to "not go there". You are still a wonderful role model for me and your naked honesty about this near-slip just adds to your value to the rest of us here on the site. Thank you so much for sharing Mario.

Tips
      Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
      ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Bravo Mario..
        WOW I hope I have that much will-power when the AL monster stikes me. Its quite a battle we have undertaken but I think we can overcome it. when you said:

"We are always just one drink away from falling back into that horrible life,"

I totally agree and I need to remember that when I am next tempted. Your lucky to have strong support from your partner.

caper
        caper
        AF since Sept 2013...
        :alf:

Comment

Tipplerette;1087975 wrote: Wow, it just goes to prove that even the heroes of MWO can be tempted to falter too. You have always stood out in my mind as one of the few strong, stable, collected members of MWO. Your advice is always so positive and well thought out. You have made some very valuable comments on my threads and I am so happy for you that you had the presence of mind to "not go there". You are still a wonderful role model for me and your naked honesty about this near-slip just adds to your value to the rest of us here on the site. Thank you so much for sharing Mario.

Tips
          Tip's post says exactly my feelings too......You are a hero and I am so grateful that you are here.
          Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Comment

Mario,
            Thank you for posting this. I have too have had some tragedies in my life recently, and used them as a reason to start drinking again. I commend you for sticking it out, and doing the hard work that kept you from picking up that first drink. I hope that what ever is going on in your life that is causing you pain will resolve itself very soon. You are much stronger for having persevered.

Thanks again,

Jill
            While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thank you so much for your post Mario.
              I was sober for 4 and a half yrs, was having severe stress in work, and had spent way to much money when sober on materialistic crap. I had a week off and with my partner decided that just 1 night on the tiles would do me good. Relieve the stress, and I could go back after the week and start afresh. That night I drank to blackout. I never went back to the best job I ever had. This was 06, and ive been drinking on and off since then losing everything in the process.
              Its posts like yours that make me realise why I want to keep sober for good this time. There is no way i can drink ever again if I want to see my daughter grow up.
              Thank you Mario.
              To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Mario - Thanks be to God you didnt carry this through.

By drinking you would have given your power away. The very power which has allowed you to deal with life again and whatever you go through, you are in control now and dont EVER loose sight of that. Only from your sobriety have you been able to face the demons you have and you would have been devasted to let AL win yet again. That carefully planned binge would have opened the floodgates and who knows what would have happened.

Im so glad you have such an amazing supportive partner and even more glad you listened to her. Please know that had you confided your intentions here, there would have been a zillion of us talking you out of it, including myself. Remember why we are all here, it may be 2+ years Mario but we have to be vigilant always. Im sending you my BIGGEST :l and hope to give you it in person very soon.
                "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                AF - JAN 1st 2010
                NF - May 1996

Comment

Mario,

What a truly honest post and one that reminds us that the fire may not be blazing but there will always be embers gently glowing that will ignite with just a wisp of a breeze.

A lesson here for everyone...

Thank so much Mario, I tend to sometimes think I am cured and will never drink again, posts like this remind me to be forever on my guard. xx
                  "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                  NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Mario

Well done and thanks for being so honest in sharing. Hope everything works out for you.

Rustop

Comment

Awesome Mario!!
                      I think those thoughts of using AL as a release are what get us into trouble in the first place. Well done for thinking it through and making the decision that was right for you.
                      You deserve a better life than the one AL has to offer.
                      Love
                      D
                      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

What a good show of strength, mario! I'm sorry for the pain you have been feeling and glad you saw through the thin veil of promise of relief by drinking. Drinking just makes everything worse. I'm so glad you chose a different path.
                        sigpic
                        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Mario, this is an amazing example of how those f*ck it thoughts can affect even the strongest of us. I know what a tough time youve had and can totally relate to your feelings of wanting to blunt out the unhappiness.
                          What has struck me is that it was YOU who thought yourself into drinking and YOU who thought yourself out of it. This disease/affiliction call it what you will, starts and ends with us and no one else.
                          Thank you so much for sharing and I am so glad you didnt fall back into that trap again xxxx
                          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Mario, I am so happy to hear that you fought your way through this event! Sorry to hear that you have been experiencing a rough time of it, but, that is life, and we are well aware that those old responses are still in our brains and staying aware and using our tools to overcome these urges are truly the key to our sobriety.

Thank you for sharing and I hope things get better for you!
                            Kate
                            A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Mario my friend - thank you for posting this. I am so sorry that you have been going through all this heartache. For me too as someone said, you are a person whom I look up to - and I am even more amazed at your strength after reading your post. Your honesty is commendable. Like Oney said, it never really goes away, the urge, does it? No matter how many years, days, months, hours you have been sober, you need to always stay vigilant. I pray that your life smooths out and you get the peace and happiness you so richly deserve. We all love you and think you are awesome. Stay strong friend.
                              February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Working...
                              X