ADHD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADHD

I started seeing a therapist and she seems to think I may have ADHD. Does anyone here have this issue too? My biggest question is regarding medications if any that help or hinder the recovery process. Any other tidbits of information would be greatly appreciated.
    Is Addiction Really a Disease?
    Watch this and find out....
    http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

ADHD

Hey There,

I've never been diagnosed, but I certainly have ADHD tendencies and know a few others on here who also struggle with it.

I used to drink to just calm myself down a lot of the time as I was a ball of nervous energy!

Look into Baclofen over on the med thread...I have been taking it and my focus has never been better, although I am not clued up enough on everything to say whether this is a direct result, but hey it works for me!

EW
    If you can't have one drink, don't have any - My Nan

Comment

ADHD

Thanks EW77!
      Is Addiction Really a Disease?
      Watch this and find out....
      http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Comment

ADHD

No probs - see what you think.

Do you do a lot of exercise? I find that helps me settle down after a nice long run in the AM's.
        If you can't have one drink, don't have any - My Nan

Comment

ADHD

My 16 year old son was recently diagnosed with ADD--Inattentive. He was put on Ritalin and he is like a new kid. Something the doctor said really caught my attention. When I shared my concerns about becoming addicted to the meds, he told me that on the contrary--about 50% of the people that go untreated for ADD become addicted to drugs and or alcohol because they self medicate. I would bet a big percentage of people with addictions have this underlying condition.

As far as taking medication once we are addicted to alcohol, that is something I'm not sure about. It definitely would be something to check into with your therapist and doctor.
          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

ADHD

Hi There.

I was recently diagnosed with ADD inattentive type. I knew something was wrong all my life, but couldn't pinpoint it. I also thought it was too late to be diagnosed (I am no spring chicken), but it's not at all unusual these days for adults to be diagnosed for the first time. Same old story really, the medical community just didn't know about it.

You'd know by now that's it's a familial thing, and looking at the amount of diagnosed people in your family is a big hint. My own extended family is riddled with it. We thought we were just a bit eccentric :H

As for Ritalin, I've got a script for a trial, but I just can't decide what to do either, so I get your worries, I really do.

As has been mentioned, there is a really strong link between ADD and addiction/self medication. So do we risk an addictive episode, or hope that treating the underlying cause will help treat the addiction ? It's a catch 22. I have to admit I am incredibly curious about how different life could be on Ritalin, and it's a bit of a tease actually.

I've been thinking this week that I will do the trial and see.

It will be interesting to see how you get on.
            Hope this helps.

Bridget
            If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
            Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

ADHD

My daughter who is now 21 was diagnosed ADHD in high school. She is very intelligent so it took a while for it to affect her education. She was extremely impulsive and chaotic. She was prescribed meds but wasn't interested in taking them. Freshman year in college was a disaster. She got A's if it interested her but couldn't focus enough to care about the rest. She was forced to take semester off. This fall she went back to her doctor very aware it's affecting her life. She takes
              Vyvanse now and it's night and day! She can study now and her boss has noticed how much more organized she is.

Sometimes the first med try is not a good fit so don't give up. You don't have to use it every day if you choose not to. She takes weekends off. It's real and the medication really does help.

Comment

Working...
              X