Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on Antabuse....

Hello Everyone,

I've been away from this site for a while and thought it was about time I checked in again. I have a question about Antabuse, I know not everyone is a fan but I've been feeling like I'm heading down a slippery slope again lately with a few heavy binges under my belt in the past month and need to put a stop to that pattern. My question is about contact with AL, I work in a bar/restaurant and as a result I often get AL on my hands. Will this cause a reaction? I'd be interested to know of peoples experiences. I've posted on the MEDS thread aswell. :thanks:
    AF since 19th August 2011

Advice on Antabuse....

Hi Time to Change
    I don't have direct experience with Antabuse but i would think it's unlikely contact on your hand would have any affect. Alcohol would need to be ingested by you for it to kick in.
    Here is some info I found on Wikipedia which may help.

Disulfiram - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
    AF - JAN 1st 2010
    NF - May 1996

Comment

Advice on Antabuse....

Just wanted to let you know that I've never had any problem. I have even used alcohol wipes and did not have any reaction. I think as long as you don't ingest it, you should be pretty safe.
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Advice on Antabuse....

Hi Chill Girl,

Thanks for the advice and the link, I've been doing some research this afternoon on the net and I'm finding conflicting advice about contact with AL which is making me hesitant to try it. I would hate to go to work on Wednesday night and have a reaction!! xx

Comment

Advice on Antabuse....

Thanks Nora,

Do you mind if I ask what dosage you take?
          Some of the things I've read online have said you can get reaction from all kinds of things, the advice on different sites is very confusing!

xx

Comment

Advice on Antabuse....

Time,

I believe that answer is different for everyone. When I was taking antabuse, I could use hairspray, hand sanitizer, eat vinagrette based salad dressings and have no issue.

Others cannot.

I am sorry I can't give you better advice. Perhaps you could take it the day before your "weekend," whatever days those are. Then test it.

It does take time to build up in your body to have full effect.

Good luck,
            Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Advice on Antabuse....

Thanks Cindi,

I guess I'll just have to try it and see what happens. I guessing if I do get reaction it would be on the mild side. I'm working behind the bar most nights and as anyone whose worked in a busy bar knows it's impossible not to get it on your skin! Thanks for the advice guys xx

Comment

Advice on Antabuse....

Hi there!

Well, I was initially on 500mgs of antabuse. The pharmacist said that using things with alcohol in it, hairspray, hand sanitizer along with certain foods with minimal alcohol in it would not effect me. Drinking alcohol on the other hand would. I never had a problem with foods with AL in it, or using things like mouthwash, etc.

I worked in a hospital and used hand sanitizers chronically. Didn't bug me at all. I did however have a glass of wine 2 days after stopping antabuse a while back and it made my face go on fire, ears were red, hard time breathing and my skin was all splotchy. (just to let you know).

Comment

Advice on Antabuse....

Hi AFM,

Thanks for that advice, I really appreciate the help. I'm going to give it a try so I'll let you know how I get on. One other question, as it builds up in your system does it make you more sensitive to a reaction? xx

Comment

Advice on Antabuse....

I was on it for a few weeks.... and had no sensitivity to foods, mouthwash, or hairspray. Or even the hand sanitizers.

I would just take it as it comes. If you start feeling 'off' or 'ill' from anything with AL in it, or handling it, then I would take appropriate measures to stop getting it on you or ingesting anything with AL in it.

Comment

Advice on Antabuse....

Same for me. I didn't go crazy about stuff and didn't have any ill reactions. Just pay attention to your body and how you are feeling. Good luck!

Accountable for Me;1091459 wrote: I was on it for a few weeks.... and had no sensitivity to foods, mouthwash, or hairspray. Or even the hand sanitizers.

I would just take it as it comes. If you start feeling 'off' or 'ill' from anything with AL in it, or handling it, then I would take appropriate measures to stop getting it on you or ingesting anything with AL in it.
                      "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Advice on Antabuse....

Thanks Beaches, and everyone else,

I'm going to take my first one tonight and take it from there. I'll keep you posted!! xx

Comment

Working...
                        X