The word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The word

Doesn't matter what you call where you are GS--IMO. People will respond to your confessions with where they are at and how it affects them--again--IMO. The best thing you can do is identify where you are at and what you want to change. I believe we all have the ability to do that and go from there. It's your life. Grab it by the balls and live it--I mean really live it--even in the face of adversity. I believe we can choose a better way. What do you think?
    Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

The word

Hi,

Its an interesting one. I have been telling my husband for years I need to stop drinking and he always said "just cut down" that gave me the excuse to carry on drinking. I knew I couldnt cut down.

During a meal out with friends last night they were interested why I was not drinking and a very close friend said "you dont drink too much", I was shocked thats what she thought. The problem is how drink has a mental hold over you, you know when your not incontrol! Being an alcoholic or someone who has a problem with alcohol, how its categoried doesnt matter it personal and very individual. I am not classing myself as an alcoholic, its to black and white, I know I cant drink, I will not drink again!!

We have all shown at lot of strength and control!

Rocks x

Comment

The word

The world we live in is determined to label everything and everyone in it. The labels are just not important. A word is just a word and only has the power that you allow it to have.

Any more than that is just masking the real issue. Does Al affect your life in a negative way? If so do you need to stop all together or reduce your intake? These questions are different for us all and can only be answered by the individual.

Forget what label you need to assign to yourself and look simply at drinking and it's effects on your life.
        I refuse to be labelled or ashamed. Through my struggles I am achieving self awareness and clarity.

Comment

The word

There's some interesting thoughts in there.
          I don't use the word because of what people will understand from that, and how they will react to me. It's a small town and it would be round the grapevine in no time.
          Accepting the addiction is more important to me than what I call it.
          I seem to remember in Allan Carr's book, he mentions that the name has caused a number of people to avoid seeking help when they first realised they had a "problem." In the MWO book, Roberta and friend also had problems with the term.
          I take the point about it meaning that you are reserving a time to drink later, because people would be horrified if you admitted to being an alcoholic and then drank. However, if I used that term I think people would simply be horrified I was an alcoholic regardless of whether I drank. I know AA are big on you admitting it daily and publicly, but I feel uncomfortable with it. If I've been AF for a decent period, I'd rather get up daily and confess to the positive aspect of not drinking than continue to confess to the negative of being an alcoholic.
          I guess we're all different and for some it might be an important step to make this confession.
          Telling someone you're not drinking, whatever the reason, is a good idea to help keep you on track. I like the woman who was albe to say it so naturally and move on - more implying than admitting.

Comment

Working...
          X