Lower Back Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower Back Pain

I will be 7 weeks sober on Sunday, and have generally felt well physically. Until last night.
    When drinking heavily, I suffered lower back pain daily when not drinking, but since stopping it had subsided greatly, only really feeling pain sometimes when i would get out of my car and when lying a certain way on the sofa.
    I must of been lying on the sofa that way last night, because when I tried to get up, I had terrible pains on the lower right hand side of my back. I fell asleep fine, but woke at around 3 to go to the toilet, and found it difficult to get out of bed the pain was so bad.
    This morning it has subsided somewhat, but it has scared me quite a bit.
    I am going to make an appointment with the doctor today and read up about it online, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    To Infinity And Beyond!!

Lower Back Pain

hi cymru

i've gone through years of chronic pain with my back, i had an operation on it last year to remove a very damamged disc, but i still have two prolapsed discs in there. i find the best way to get through bad bouts is to put my tens machine on (you can pick them up at lloyds chemists for a reasonable price), get strong meds from the doc and keep moving around/ doing physio exercises. i find i get more spasms when sitting for prolonged periods. attack it from all angles until it settles back down. get well soon xx

hth!
    The mind will intellectualize it, the heart will emotionalize it, yet the gut never lies.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9/girly-wirly-s-toolbox-2-45452.html

Comment

Lower Back Pain

Cy,

I am sorry. My husband also suffers excruciating back pain. He doesn't drink.

Go to your appt. It may be something simple like soft tissue. They can easily deal with that and you will be pleased.

Take care,
      Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Lower Back Pain

Cymru, I am sorry to hear about your back going out on you. I have been suffering from this for over a decade. Once the muscles start to spasm, my pelvis gets pulled out of alignment, and I walk all crooked. I know how much it hurts.

You have to try to get those muscles to relax. Ibuprofin, like advil, motrin, or generic brand is a staple, have lots. Robax or similar muscle relaxants can help - read the labels, there is often cafeine in them in case you are sensitive. Doctors can prescribe strronger stuff. Be careful when you have to sneeze, and move slow, don't twist and bend at the same time.

Once the muscles relax, hopefully it will come around. You may benefit from some common physio exercises, such as hyperextensions while on your stomach. Once all healed, working on core and ab strength each week, will help prevent these.

I hope you are better soon,
        Hill
        Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Lower Back Pain

Ive got a case of it too - can't walk very far. See your DR and while the 'net is good for research unless you are versed in this stuff it can scare you worse than help you. Find a good Osteopath.

Comment

Lower Back Pain

Thanks everyone. I was worried it was alcohol related, but don't see anything on the net. Have made an appointment with the doc, so will see what he says.
            To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Lower Back Pain

Hi Cy. I'm a back surgery survivor. I don't think drinking AL helps the health of our bodies in general, but back problems can happen to anyone. Hopefully whatever is wrong will be something easily treated, and without a knife!

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
              X