Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bipolar disorder and Alcohol.

Hi,

I just wondered if anyone had any experience of Bipolar Disorder and Alcohol. I have been referred by my GP for a Bipolar assessment after a recent binge and subsequent depressive episode. Prior to my binge I had been taking Antabuse for a week and was feeling really in control, towards the end of the second week I decided to come off it as I felt (wrongly) that I was in control, I then went on to get a tattoo on a whim, got my hair cut (when I was trying to grow it!) Spent money I didn't have on things I didn't need and all in a wave of hyperactivity and elation finally accumulating in a one night binge on wine which then resulted in 3 days of deep depression in which I didn't eat and rarely left my bed.
    I wondered if anyone has any experience of Bipolar Disorder and AL, I've always used AL in this way, at times of happiness rather than to self medicate or make myself feel better. I never chose to drink when I'm down its always when things are good that I turn to the bottle and I have no idea why? A kind of self sabotage maybe? Apologies if this message is a bit rambling, I'm just kind of thinking it through as I write!!
    AF since 19th August 2011

T2C, I am not bi-polar myself but at least 3 people in one of my main AA meeting groups are under doctor care for bi-polar. One in particular stands out as an extreme example of how effective medication can be once AL is out of the picture. This guy is night and day different now that he is sober, and therefore his doctor is able to keep him very steady with medication.

I really think drinking just makes all this sort of stuff so much worse because the medication is either ineffective or unstable when AL is added.

I wish you well getting what you need to be sober and stable!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi Timetochange, I have a friend from AA who has been sober for 7 years. She was diagnosed bipolar many years ago and was on very high dosage of medication. Since going AF she has been feeling so much better and in the last year has reduced her medication substantially. She has worked so hard on herself on the inside since getting sober and really has under gone a transformation. She is now taking minimal AD and hopes to be completely free of them this year. I do feel they throw labels out very readily when the depression can be worked through and resolved. Being AF is the best cure in the world.
      "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
      AF - JAN 1st 2010
      NF - May 1996

Comment

I have always accosiated alcoholism with Bi-Polar. Certainly in my case anyway.
        I could often go a week or 2 without drink, but it would usually end with me doing something rash, like buying clothes or a watch, having an incredible buzz, which was always followed by a sudden dip that would lead to drink. Either that, or I would drink on the high, which then meant around 3-5 days of deep depression.
        Even when I quit drinking for 5 yrs, I suffered with it. Spending money was my buzz. I once bought a top of the range BMW 3 Series while looking in a garage, agreed to pay it off over 3 yrs and then realised a day later what id done. The APR was massive and id just done it because I was buzzing, and got so excited I jsut did it without thinking it through.
        Its something I really have to keep an eye on now im sober, because once I get some money I know the urge will be there to spend it. To go out to the stores, and enjoy myself, cause I 'deserve it' But I know the other side to it too, and for me keeping my emotions on an even keel is paramount to my sobriety.
        To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Definitely agree! Have had this convo with Cy re shopping. I went to Ikea 'for a look' the other week and ended up spending ?100 and then a a few days later spending the same on clothes when just going 'for a look'. Classic alkie behaviour in my opinion. Have never been assessed or mentioned Bi Polar to the doctor but think it's there.

I have to watch myself today, cos I know I am going to have a really nice day but when I get home, I have a bit of a come down on days like that and it can be dangerous.

Am leaving money where I cant touch it at the moment, I am a bit skint but am not likely to go off on a spree if I dont have it!

Comment

Thanks guys,

Great feed back, I hadn't really thought about a link before but as soon as my doctor brought it up it really struck a cord. I have really managed to cut back on the 'habit' of drinking over the past 9 months. I used to drink daily and alone where as now I don't and I'm happy to say it rarely crosses my mind to do so, but I always seem to fall into these hyper binges where I drink quickly and recklessly which seem to be directly related to elevated mood. Hmmm. I will let you know how the Assesment/tests go.
            Thanks again for the feedback xx

Comment

I had a grandmother who drank like that, too, for most of her life (if all the family accounts are true.) She was finally diagnosed with bipolar disorder by a geriatric psychiatrist when she was in her 80s, and the medication seemed to help stabilize her mood. Sadly, this wasn't diagnosed and treated until she was nearly ready for admission to a nursing facility; had it been earlier, I wonder how much her life would have been different; happier and more stable. (Her social "filters" came off with one drink, and near complete disinhibition with 2 or 3. Jekyll-and-Hyde doesn't begin to capture it!)

Anways, TTC, I hope you get a proper diagnosis and treatment if it's indicated. Congrats on the AF days, too.
              Resisting all Magical Thinking...one day at a time

Comment

Hi RedJib,

I'm so sorry for your Grandmothers situation, it could have been so different for her!

I just wanted to say how your comment about her 'Social Filters' coming off rings so true for me. Its like I'm not there anymore and someone else takes over, almost like I go into a different state of consiousness or something which afterwards I find so scary. I've always been quite a mixed bag when it comes to personality traits, I can be very sollitary and quiet for periods of time and then I can be loud and sociable, almost like I'm on anphetamines. I like these times because I'm happy and confident and have the gift of the gab but this is also when I become reckless and as a result Alcohol often factors.
                Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for the comment, it really struck a cord x

Comment

Working...
                X