Too Young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too Young

My daughter who is 17 has to go to a funeral today. The young man was her friend and a wonderful kid. ALways smiling, everyone's friend. Deep down though, he was very depressed and on medication. He also drank. Friday he shot himself in his home. His Mom found him. My daughter and her friends are devastated. I spoke to my daughter about it - explaining the dangers and the consequences of drinking while on meds, etc. I told her (again) that we come from a long line of people with depression and alcohol problems. She said "And that is the reason I don't and will not drink".

And THAT is the reason I do not drink.
    February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Too Young

Wagoneer,

I know how devastating that can be to a young person. I lost three friends when I was young. However, not to suicide. That must be even worse.

Stay close for a while, mama. She is going to need you.

I am glad you don't drink now because she needs a mama who is fully there.

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Too Young

Wagoneer, it is so important that you have the communications open with your daughter. I hope that I can be as honest with my children when they grow up. I am sorry for the loss of the young life, and for the grieving and pain for the family and friends.
      Hill
      Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Too Young

Wagoneer - so sad to hear of the loss of this young man.

You should feel very proud of the fact that you are in a position to really be there for your daughter - she will definitely need you.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Too Young

Wag- Does your daughter have any grief counselors she can go to? I know they do that at some schools in cases like this.
          It's always YOUR choice!

Comment

Too Young

Oh, Wag, I am so sorry for your daughter and for you too. I have a 17 yo son that I am constantly worrying about...always looking for signs of drugs or drinking......I don't want to be suspicious...but I want to be aware....it's definitely not easy. I just can't imagine what that Mom is going thru.....I hope your daughter can talk to a grief counselor like Fluff said.
            Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Comment

Too Young

Awwwhh what a tragedy. I am so glad your daughter has her sober Mum to look after her xxx
              "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
              NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Working...
              X