Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EVER NOTICE THE BOOZE DRANK ON SIT-COMS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We watched Two and a Half Men, Cougar Town, Modern Family, Middle and a few other sit-coms last night (TV marathon) and I noticed that everytime the "man" goes into the fridge he comes out with a bottle of beer. The women are all nursing wine (even when there's kids around) and then there's Charlie but he's another story. He goes for the hard stuff. IT'S EVERYWHERE ! I have been a little hyper aware of it lately as it triggers my cravings as I am new in my AF journey.

What is this telling our vulnerable 20-something youth? I am sure this is not a new topic on here but it's new to me.

Just Sayin'

Tips
    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ? Lao-Tzu

Alcohol advertising is everywhere supported by a huge multinational drinks companies,They always show you the good side & happy people never the downside of alcoholism.

Comment

Tipper- We watched all the ABC line-ups too, and Cougar Town had Courtney Cox drinking from one of those HUGE wine glasses that holds like a bottle of wine in them, and then some...Yes- it's not helpful for us who are trying to quit...
      It's always YOUR choice!

Comment

I noticed this too and it made me think how normal, glamorous even it appeared and did go through a copy cat phase. I now know better though.

By the way isn't it funny how the characters appearance never suffers, they remain slim, with clear skin whilst downing bottles of wine or pints of beer and eating out every night.

Comment

It all looks so glamorous and engorages people especially young people to over indulge with tragic consequences for all of us.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

There was a show with John Larouquette about 10-15 years ago with him as a recovering alcoholic, going to meetings and stuff with David Crosby as his sponsor (of all people). It was totally hilarious but very moving at the same time. In real life he was an alcoholic, and I read an interview once that he totally did not remember making the movie "Stripes" back in the early 80s.

Comment

Funny - I was thinking the same thing after watching the show that comes on right before Modern Family. The mother always has a glass of wine close by. I think cougar town is probably one of the worst as everything always seems to center around drinking almost to the point of being ridiculous.

Guess we are all just super aware of it now as it isn't an option for a lot of us - no matter how glamorous they make it look.

Sober is better!
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

The soaps are worse!

Comment

The soaps are terrible.There is a famous soap in UK called Coronation Street (Its been running for 50 years). I watch it and the pub time in it amazes me now that I am sober. The entire cast are in it from midday to closing time. I never noticed it as much when I was drinking but it kind of shocks me now.Generations are reared on this soap. Its presented as so civilised and normal in the program.
                  I am a sobriety tart. AA/Smart/RR philosophy, meds/diet/exercise/prayer,rabbbits feet/four leaf clovers/horseshoes. Yes please.I will have them all thank you very much.Bring them on

There is no way the bottle is going to be stronger than I am.

Comment

Hey Tip, you make a great point. The booze is glorified and used everywhere in film, tv, media etc, it is nuts. For sure, advertising is one of the great reasons why, to put brands in front of us, so we spend our money on their product. Money, money, money. I too worry about those you impressionable children and teens. Not to mention these can trigger urges! I have found that in time, these media driven urges decrease in their intensity and sometimes go away. Hang in there.
                    Hill
                    Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Despite having cable with a whole slew of channel 'packages' we hardly ever watch t.v., so I haven't seen much of this in recent years. One program we used to catch, years back, was a sit-com with Cybil Shepherd (I think the show's title was just her first name), and she had a BFF who's character was meant to be drunk all the time. Always had a martini or some drink in her hand, and with perfect comedic timing and the most droll delivery, would drop zingers without slurring a word. I used to chuckle watching it, and always thought to myself, "this is deadly-funny, but I've never seen a serious drinker who could function like that, ever, anywhere." I think the appeal to me and other drinkers was to keep alive the fantasy that regardless of gender or age, we can be functional alcoholics forever, witty, engaging, looking and feeling healthy... All of totally an illusion! (but entertaining, yes!)
                      Resisting all Magical Thinking...one day at a time

Comment

I have to admit that watching those fun loving characters sip their wine while delivering their hilarious quips did tempt me. It only stopped when I became aware of it thanks to a post I read here earlier from someone like me trying to stop. Being aware makes all the difference. I am sure enjoying my sober evenings. The thought still crosses my mind but at least TV is not an influence.
                        Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                        ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Working...
                        X