Ever regret going AF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever regret going AF?

Rightio Inchy, we have three things to cover here.

InChains;1115230 wrote: So I'm seeing alot of posts about how grateful people are to be sober, and how it's changed their lives. I'm on day 21, and I think I made the wrong choice, I was just going to ask a few people but I thought hell, matter of public interest - anybody here at any point regret being AF?
    I don't mean this thread to promote drinking by the way, just interested to see what people think/thought...
    I'll keep this simple. Never in a million years. I do not regret going AF one single millisecond.

InChains;1115280 wrote: Zen: i have been sober 21 days. I have been happy for 4 of them, 2 weeks ago. To me this is not good for my health, I have considered doing very stupid things since I got sober that I hadn't though about in 2 years drunk...
    Now this bothers me greatly, I'm seriously concerned about you. What kind of stupid things. Are you talking about drug use, self harming or drinking yourself senseless.

InChains;1115288 wrote:
    I don't classify as depressed, I still work and function on a normal level which I wouldn't be able to if I was depressed, I don't know what I actually -am- I can just work backwards and figure out what i'm not xD
    Now to the final point.
    I'm depressed. I take drugs to help with my depression. Before I went to my doctor I functioned normally and worked as a child mentor. I still cooked and ran my house, not as well as normal but things to the outside world looked like they were ticking along nicely.
    All of us here can self diagnose until the cows come home, but at the end of the day we need a proper diagnosis from a proper physician.

It's been said before Inchy, so I'll say it again. Inchy, darling you need to see a professional. We can only help here so far but you have to take this into your own hands and seek outside help.

J x
    :l
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Ever regret going AF?

hi in chains, believe it or not this is a very good post, very honest question,,ive been doing this stop start thing for 29 years believe it or not, the best ive accomplished was 2 years, on my own and after a while it was great, but then you have the other side of the coin, for all those that complained about my drinking,i had 2 choices to watch them drink, leave the situation for my own safety,or join the party thats 3 choices,hahaha, over time you will get it, one way or the other you will die, with the booze or without,ive met people that have stopped for 20 years,and started,very powerful,the only real thing i can say to help,is you have to learn to feel comfortable in your own body,i do,do i drink, yes,can i stop,yes any time i want,is it work,yes,i wish you well gyco

Comment

Ever regret going AF?

InChains;1115280 wrote: Zen: i have been sober 21 days. I have been happy for 4 of them, 2 weeks ago. To me this is not good for my health, I have considered doing very stupid things since I got sober that I hadn't though about in 2 years drunk...
        That's because you are sober, in the past alcohol was glossing this over. Biggest thing alcoholics have to get used to when they stop drinking is just being with themselves. That's right living in your skin, as you. It's not easy because we aren't used to it. The other way of course is to live in drink instead, and all that entails.

Comment

Ever regret going AF?

I think most people will suffer with some type of regret if they're really honest about it.

Like any relationship; you cannot let go of it completely whilst not going through a process of looking at whether you've made the right decision. Certain fears and insecurities will no doubt creep in along the way that will question the choices you have made. So no matter how small the regrets may be, they will definitely surface in some shape of form. You just have to recognise them.
          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
          Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Ever regret going AF?

So, answers, answers, answers...

Sheri: its really great to know I'm not alone but I'm not actually taking or planning on taking any supplements and such, don't know why, just don't like the idea...

sunshine: I nearly died a couple of years ago because of drinking, kept right on going 2 days after I got out of hospital, somehow I've managed to keep everything else in my life together, just late at night and on my own I fall apart haha

JC: A little from all three xD But I don't think I'll be takign up self harm again, 2 and a half years without doing it is pretty good to me. As for drugs, I smoke more pot now than I used to, I have been thinking about replaceing alcohol with it but it's not exactly a hard drug...

UK: I'm in probably a pretty odd position comapred to most here in that I have been drinking pretty much throughout my adolescence, I've come round and I'm an adult... I don't know my adult self at all and I scarcely remember who i was as a child, it's like being thrown into reality at a rather frightening sink-or-swim point

Hippie: thank you for your post, made me feel alot better about my thoughts/regrets

To all: Inchy does not do supplements, pills, professionals or admitting to anythign that could remotely be described as a mental illness. I have my reasons for this, and ya'll can think what you want about my approach to things but thats just the way I am
            I have faced it, a life wasted, and I am never going back there again

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

Ever regret going AF?

Not sure what to say Inchy but I think you are wise. Just stay safe :goodjob:

Comment

Ever regret going AF?

UK: I'm in probably a pretty odd position comapred to most here in that I have been drinking pretty much throughout my adolescence, I've come round and I'm an adult... I don't know my adult self at all and I scarcely remember who i was as a child, it's like being thrown into reality at a rather frightening sink-or-swim point

i get you here, i started drinking at TEN, sneaking drinks at 13, getting smashed full time at 16. the real "me" is a stranger.
                AF since 10/26/2009

It will be five years sober 10/26/2014

Comment

Ever regret going AF?

aspman;1116310 wrote: UK: I'm in probably a pretty odd position comapred to most here in that I have been drinking pretty much throughout my adolescence, I've come round and I'm an adult... I don't know my adult self at all and I scarcely remember who i was as a child, it's like being thrown into reality at a rather frightening sink-or-swim point

i get you here, i started drinking at TEN, sneaking drinks at 13, getting smashed full time at 16. the real "me" is a stranger.
                  Do you know how many times this is said by those with drinking problems?It's also oft heard in the rooms of AA. I started in my mid-teens, not daily but loved it and used it very early on as a way to escape from pressure, sadness as well as mark happiness. When I first started getting sober (had a few goes now!) I realised there were so many situations I simply didn't know how to handle at all.

So you are definitely not alone here!

Comment

Ever regret going AF?

At 21 days sober, your mind is still telling you you can have 1-2 drinks and stop, maybe you don't have to be AF FOREVER, but ask yourself, how many times have you said you were quiting or you were only going to have a couple and that ended up being a drunk night? AF is so much better.
                    Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Ever regret going AF?

No. I don't ever regret going AF. I, do, however, regret when I drink. Pretty much every time.

Rock and a hard place.

That is where we are.

I say jump. Let those rocks and hard places collide with you out of the way.

Love,
                      Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Ever regret going AF?

InChains,

For the first few months that I quit drinking, I was miserable and hated not being able to drink. I was "white knuckling" it and I was adrift and sad. Looking back, it's not surprising that I felt that way given that I started drinking at 15 and it was the only think I knew.

Transitioning from a drinking life to a non-drinking one was challenging. It took alot of effort for me to make that transition and create a new life without my old distructive friend alcohol in it. The lack of positive reinforcement for quitting early in sobriety made it compelling to return to the comfort and solace of a bottle, but I did not. I had to evaluate every every decision that I made by asking myself. "Is this going to bring me closer to or further away from drinking again?" The physical adjustments alone were enormous because my body had become used to a daily dose of alcohol. I also went through a period of grieving that I now see was normal and necessary.

Thanks to the advice of many here on the forum, I realized I had to set goals and become active if I were to remain AF. I started exercising again, competing in races (running), got involved in my community, joined a church, made new non-drinking friends, became more involved in my children's lives, etc.

For me, finally becoming AF was so much more than just counting off the days since my last drink. It was about working hard to become a fully present and active particiipant in my own life. There is no room in my life for alcohol now.

M3
                        AF Since April 20, 2008
                        4 Years!!!
                        :lilheart:

Comment

Working...
                        X