excited about getting sober?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To all of you who have had at least a little sober time under your belts... How do you get excited about the prospect of being sober? I would really like to cultivate a feeling of optimism and excitement, but I seem to revert to depression, anxiety and just hoping to get through an urge. The more free time I have, the more I find I have not much to replace it with. I don't seem to want to read, clean, cook, etc. I just want the day to be over.

I have read Allen Carr's book and I know in my head there is nothing to "give up" when quitting drinking. I should not have a feeling of deprivation, I should have a feeling of exhillaration. I don't seem to be able to feel it. Any thoughts? Any suggestions on how to really take Allen Carr's book to heart?

I think of the money I save, of wanting to build our house and not being able to do so if we spend all our money on booze. I think of the weight I will lose. Of the better health I will have. I think of my skin looking better and having more energy. All things that motivate me to want to be sober.

Comment

looking, I like the suggestions made so far. Also, as far as activities go to fill the time, there is LOTS more to choose from than cooking and cleaning!!! For me (YMMV) reading wasn't a GREAT pick in early sobriety - I did better with things involving more physical activity.

Have you made a LOOOONG list of things you could consider doing? Are there places in your community you have never visited? (museum, library, other points of interest). Go for a walk? Take a class in something?

I'm glad my life is about more than cooking and cleaning or I would probably still be drinking LOL!

This might sound a little goofy but I really do stand in front of the mirror every morning and look at myself and smile and do my positive affirmations. I bet there is a web link somewhere for the power of that. The ones I do are the same ones my AA sponsor gave me a long time ago. They still lift my spirits.

I love that Spiritual River web site.

FWIW...

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

What excites me about getting sober is the freedom from feeling unmotivated and ill most of the time. Being able to look at myself in the morning and see possibilities rather than a slow demise. I fully believe that if I do not maintain sobriety I will [B]not [B] achieve what I have envisioned for myself professionally, as a mother and a wife. Most likely, if I carry on drinking, I will fail on all counts. I am now confident that if I get sober and stay sober I can accomplish anything that I put my mind to. So for me, what is most exciting about getting sober is empowerment.
        While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Plus one for the Spiritual River
          Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Now that I told my mom, I am really looking forward to getting sober.
            I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks so much for your helpful responses. I think I will re-read the Allen Carr book. I like the line about the freedom from being unmotivated. I think I just need to give this some time and get re focused on the things I can do being sober. I am volunteering with a group of ladies this morning and am looking forward to that.

Comment

Looking For Peace,

Volunteering is a great way to structure your new life around positive influences. Well done to you! Enjoy your morning.
                While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
                Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I am motivated by the fact that I will not do the things again that I did when I was drunk, especially getting to the point where I woke in the hospital.

Ive learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

Comment

How did the volunteering go? Are you feeling more motivated?

Good posts. AL is poison and it is a definite path to depression, boredom and lack of motivation for everything good in life.

Comment

Sheri;1116727 wrote: If someone asked you to drink a bottle of car fuel, you wouldn't dream of it. How about a mug of industrial solvent, you'd think they were crazy.

Another trick that worked for me is to visualize my white wine as urine.
                      I love this!!! So very true. Now I think of wine as lighter fluid....just the thought of it, yeck. Still had a few down days but now I have to wonder why.....no good comes of anything to do with AL
                      :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

This is such a great question, i.e., "How did you get excited about staying sober?"

Early on in my sobriety, I was miserable. But, then I started getting very active in my life and doing things that I could never have done as a drinker because my health was in decline and I lived in a state of depression and anxiousness. I worked very hard on my nutrition and started running and exercising again. I ran a 1/2 and full marathon during my first year of sobriety. I also became very active in my community and started doing much more volunteer work. I got excited about living a wholesome and healthy life.

I am 20 pounds lighter, look 10 years younger, and have limitless energy. Now that's exciting!!!

M3
                        AF Since April 20, 2008
                        4 Years!!!
                        :lilheart:

Comment

I am in a way feeling sad that my drinking days will soon be gone, yet excited for it to be gone because that means no more hangovers, and no more getting drunk and going against my faith. I hate AL for what it is turning me into- someone who is needing al for fun. I want to use this summer to start the road of yes you can have fun without the use of AL. I want to be sober and be able to do stuff without the fear of not being able to for being ether broke from al or too hungover to be able to do it.
                          I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Drifty
                            As Carr says "don't mourn the death of your enemy" celebrate your AF freedom. Your drinking days were hell remember that. And be so greatful that "those days" will be gone. Phew!

Comment

With my drinking days behind me, I feel good. I can feel the craves and the urges start to form but I know that they won't be as bad as it will be in weekends. Friday and Saturday nights are going to suck for a while cravings wise, but I will stick to my guns, go here, and make sure that I don't carry a lot of money with me. I want to and will beat this. I am excited for being sober! I am excited not to be tied down by this demon. I feel free. No more nursing hangovers or worrying that I won't have enough money, heck I am running low on my money all thanks to al.

Comment

Working...
                              X