X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi ! Tough few weeks

Hi all, just sharing my thoughts.

Sober since Jan 3rd.

Have just had the crappiest last 6 weeks.
    My father is a chronic alcoholic, my mother has been in hospital for the last 5 weeks with stomach problems which have finally been resolved.
    My family home (parents house) looks like it is going to be sold as my mother can no longer take living with my fathers mental abuse because of his addiction.

And I received a phone call last night at 3 am from my sons friend to tell me my son has been attacked and in hospital with a shattered jaw.
    He is now in surgery , thankfully I think he will be ok.

I have cried more in the last few weeks than I have in years (very strange, I am not usually a crier).

I am quite sad at the moment.
    But I have stayed AF.
    Within 15 minutes of last nights call, I was at the hospital making sure my son was ok.
    This time last year, I would more than likely had a few drinks on me and would not have been there for him when he needed me.
    I have visited my mother regularly and supported her for the last few weeks.
    I am going to spend most of tomorrow, when I am not visiting my son, re decorating his room just for when he gets home.

Not sure why I wanted to share this, but I did.
    Usually at times like these I would have drank heavily. Not anymore.
    Even though I am not in a good place at the moment, I am there for my son and Mam .
    And its because I dont drink anymore.

If anyone is struggling with staying sober, I would like to encourage you to fight it .
    It is very difficult sometimes, but I have never once regretted my decision to give up alcohol.

:thanks: for listening.

Damo in Dublin
    x
    Still trying !!!
    AF 25th June2014

Hi ! Tough few weeks

Damo sorry to hear all that's going on and good for you not letting all this be an excuse for you to drink, you must (should) feel really proud of yourself when you were there for your son last night. I hope things improve for you on your home front . MM
    AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

Hi ! Tough few weeks

Respect Damo for keeping it together, I hope things work out for your family and your son fully recovers.
      Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Hi ! Tough few weeks

So sorry to hear of all your troubles Damo but you should be proud that you have stayed AF through it all!
        So much changes in the months after we quit drinking. An intelligent, strong individual emerges capable of doing anything he wants to do!
        Glad you posted to let us know how you are feeling - that's why we are here.

Best wishes to you & your family!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi ! Tough few weeks

Damo, i am so sorry to hear you are having such a heartbreakingly tough time. Utter respect that you have not used it as an excuse to drink, but have chosen to stay strong. Wish your family better. :l
          I can not alter the direction of the wind,

But I can change the direction of my sail.

AF since 01/05/2014

100 days 07/08/2014

Comment

Hi ! Tough few weeks

Sorry to hear about your family's troubles. Huge CONGRATULATIONS in not letting their troubles send you back to the pit. YOU and your family should be proud of you.

Comment

Hi ! Tough few weeks

Hi Damo,
              Way to stay away from the Al even with the hardships.
              Hope everything works out okay.
              My thoughts/prayers are with you!

Ive learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

Comment

Hi ! Tough few weeks

Hey there Damo...
                Fantastic to hear that you're coping so well... sensible & sober
                Thanks for your inspiring post
                All love & prayers to you & your family
                Goldie x
                :sun:

Comment

Working...
                X