HMMmm!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMMmm!?

Observe your thoughts and feelings, positive and negative, about drinking or using. Thoughts and feelings which support continued use are called the Addictive Voice (AV); those which support abstinence are you. When you recognize and understand your AV, it becomes not-you, but "it," an easily-defeated enemy that has been causing you to drink. All it wants is pleasure. "I want a drink," becomes, "It wants a drink." Think to yourself, "I will never drink again," and listen for its reaction. Your negative thoughts and feelings are your AV talking back to you. Now, think, "I will drink/use whenever I please." Your pleasant feelings are also the AV, which is in control. Recovery is not a process; it is an event. The magic word is "Never," as in, "I will never drink/use again." Recognition defeats short-term desire, and abstinence soon becomes effortless. Complete separation of "you" from "it" leads to complete recovery and hope for a better life. The only time you can drink is now, and the only time you can quit for good is right now. "I will never drink/use again," becomes, "I never drink now." It's not hard; anyone can do it...........exert from....

https://rational.org/

HMMmm!?

I like replacing "I" with "It".
    "It" wants a drink.....I love it.....
    THOUGHTS become THINGS
    choose the GOOD
    ones!

AF since 5/22/11 :boxer: Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.............

Comment

HMMmm!?

Are you starting to get it? AVRT is an insight into the nature of addiction which places you in complete control over the decision to drink or use drugs. Some people figure it out on their own, others learn by reading, as you are here, others learn better in group discussions, and others learn through skilled, personal instruction at Rational Recovery Centers. AVRT, like the Heimlich Maneuver, can save your life, is extremely simple, is based on common sense, and it's free here at the RR-Web Center.

Although AVRT is very, very simple, you have to know what you're doing, and learning it can be tricky at first. This is because your AV uses your own intelligence and personality in order to remain concealed from you. It is ruthless in its pursuit of alcohol or drugs, but it can also be quite subtle, forceful, seductive, persistent, patient, and has many other qualities.

The disease concept of addiction is without merit on scientific grounds and as an aid to recovery from addiction. Therefore, Rational Recovery has replaced the disease model of addiction with the Structural Model of Addiction:.......

Comment

HMMmm!?

LIT,
        Thank you for that. I had just posted a bit about my weekend and my thoughts. The AV was present and speaking to me on a regular basis in certain situations. While I did not listen to it, it was annoying to have this interaction in my head. Thank you for this thread!

Ive learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

Comment

HMMmm!?

sunshinetoday;1122197 wrote: LIT,
          Thank you for that. I had just posted a bit about my weekend and my thoughts. The AV was present and speaking to me on a regular basis in certain situations. While I did not listen to it, it was annoying to have this interaction in my head. Thank you for this thread!

THIS!! And yes, thanks for the info.....Man I love this site and its vast information
          Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

HMMmm!?

Hi LIT,

The website is now in my "favorites" and I will be giving it my full attention this weekend. I am still AF, it's day 8 for me!!!! Thank you for this contribution. It makes sense!
            THOUGHTS become THINGS
            choose the GOOD
            ones!

AF since 5/22/11 :boxer: Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.............

Comment

HMMmm!?

LIT,

R U buying the books? Maybe we could get 6 people to contribute to the 6 pak and split the cost. What do you think?
              THOUGHTS become THINGS
              choose the GOOD
              ones!

Comment

HMMmm!?

LIT,

Did you buy the books???
                THOUGHTS become THINGS
                choose the GOOD
                ones!

Comment

HMMmm!?

I've long heard and repeated that the idea of not drinking into infinity is not something we can grasp, get our thoughts around, when we first begin. It's always NOW. NOW I won't pick it up. Today, I'll go to bed sober, and happy. Too much of anything is overwhelming.
                  sigpic
                  Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                  awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

HMMmm!?

Barbara1234;1122218 wrote: LIT,

Did you buy the books???
                    No Barbara....studying the web site was enough for me.....it just made SO much sense to me....At last the truth (mine anyway) .....It's nice to find out that your not sick....
                    that YOU have control

Comment

HMMmm!?

Uh.....who said I have control?????? 8 days out of 20+ yrs. does not a cure make
                      THOUGHTS become THINGS
                      choose the GOOD
                      ones!

Comment

HMMmm!?

Barbara1234;1122402 wrote: Uh.....who said I have control?????? 8 days out of 20+ yrs. does not a cure make
                        Well, but, the journey of a thousands miles begins with the first step OR as Id like to change it to the journey of a thousand AF days, goes One day at a time
                        Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

HMMmm!?

Nelz;1122438 wrote: Well, but, the journey of a thousands miles begins with the first step OR as Id like to change it to the journey of a thousand AF days, goes One day at a time
                          Ah! Yes indeed.
                          THOUGHTS become THINGS
                          choose the GOOD
                          ones!

Comment

HMMmm!?

Next Extract

There is no evidence that addicion is or is caused by a disease. To the contrary, addiction is a natural function of a healthy, human body. The disease concept of addiction has become quite popular, mainly because it is the nature of addicted people to dignify their deplorable conduct. The disease concept of addiction is an example of the Addictive Voice concealing the actual reason people drink/use while it discourages individual initiative.

Brain chemistry, genetics, and personal ?issues? are irrelevant to addiction and recovery. Our 2-part brain model, below, is simple, but for our purposes, not simplistic. There are no hidden causes for your addiction; you drink because you love to drink. You use because you love the way it feels.

When the disease concept becomes part of your Addictive Voice, you will feel like a victim of circumstances rather than someone who is responsible for becoming addicted, for staying addicted and for immediately quitting your addiction -- right now, for good.

In effect, you have two separate brains within your head ? a human brain, which supports consciousness, and an animal/beast brain which supports life itself. The beast brain generates survival appetites which drive the rest of the body toward what it demands, such as oxygen, food, sex, and fluids.

These survival needs are all associated with physical pleasure, i.e., the better something feels, the more necessary it seems for survival. Alcohol and other drugs feel better than anything else, including food, sex, even breathing. Your survival drive has become a death drive in search of physical pleasure. .........

Comment

HMMmm!?

I just joined up there - It does make a lot of sense and I like the black and white approach. All or nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X