Always to0 hammered in public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seem to have a tendancy to always be the most drunk person whenever there is booze involved. I drink to the point that simply making it through the night is almost impossible. Anyone have any insight on this behaviour?

I can't even remember the last time I was at a party/bar etc. and got just sort of drunk. I always end up unable to even carry on a conversation. I'm surprised anyone even likes me still.

gimp;1124690 wrote: I seem to have a tendancy to always be the most drunk person whenever there is booze involved. I drink to the point that simply making it through the night is almost impossible. Anyone have any insight on this behaviour?

I can't even remember the last time I was at a party/bar etc. and got just sort of drunk. I always end up unable to even carry on a conversation. I'm surprised anyone even likes me still.
    Its called being an alcoholic and you came to the right place for help. Judging by the amount you drink, you might want to look into some medication to help you through the withdraws. Perhaps even detox.
    I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Can I take a guess ?
      There is a lot of bravado, but underneath you are very private, maybe even a bit shy and would prefer to be doing other things anyway.
      I found myself that I am sensitive and quite socially phobic, so growing up, alcohol became my social lubricant. It was the only way that I could convince my self that I actually enjoyed the banal small talk which characterises bar life. I don't.
      By the time the binge habit had established itself, people wouldn't have a party without me. I mean, at least I was always a 'goer'. A bit like rent- a- crowd, y'know ?
      I wasted a lot of time being other people's amusement.
      But wait ! That's not all ! The binging then progressed to alcoholism, drinking at home alone where I really wanted to be.
      Jump off the merry-go-round now Gimp, while you still can.
      If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
      Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

byebyebridgetjones;1124707 wrote: Can I take a guess ?
        There is a lot of bravado, but underneath you are very private, maybe even a bit shy and would prefer to be doing other things anyway.
        I found myself that I am sensitive and quite socially phobic, so growing up, alcohol became my social lubricant. It was the only way that I could convince my self that I actually enjoyed the banal small talk which characterises bar life. I don't.
        By the time the binge habit had established itself, people wouldn't have a party without me. I mean, at least I was always a 'goer'. A bit like rent- a- crowd, y'know ?
        I wasted a lot of time being other people's amusement.
        But wait ! That's not all ! The binging then progressed to alcoholism, drinking at home alone where I really wanted to be.
        Jump off the merry-go-round now
        Gimp, while you still can.
        Brilliant advice!
        Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

I wish I could say that binge drinking at parties was my problem. If I could keep it to that I probably wouldn't be here. My main problem is drinking by myself throughout the week. I know I've come to the right place, and finally know in my heart that this isn't who I am supposed to be. Until now the thought of quitting never felt real. It finally does.

Comment

Hi gimp,

Welcome to MWO! This is a good place, you'll find lots of info & support!

You can download the MWO book from the Health store here on the site to help you get started.
            Making a good plan for yourself is essential. Look in the https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html for lots of great ideas.

If you think you need medical supervision then get it. You want to detox safely. Your Doctor may want to provide you with some Rx help for a few days.

Wishing you the best on your journey! Please feel free to drop in the Newbies Nest thread for more support.

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I have been pretty lucky in the past. I usually quit for a week or two every once or twice a year, and have always done so by tapering off over the course of a week. I've never had anything more than mild withdrawals as a result. My problem in the past was the idea that I would slow down, not quit. Then the weekend came and I thought, I've done pretty good this week, I'll treat myself. (I'm sure you guys have all felt this!). So no, I don't feel like I need medical help, but will certainly seek it if ever I do.

I was mostly curious if anyone else has the same problem of not knowing when to stop to the point of screwing up the night... repeatedly.

Comment

Yep. I'm right there with you gimp. I only ever drink at parties or party like situations. Generally, to excess. I don't drink at home. I don't drink at restaurants. I don't drink at the lake. If all my friends show up at the bar while I'm working it's pretty much on for me. My actual friends are normal social drinkers. I'm the one who goes over the top. I think when you're intoxicated you lose hold of that it's time to stop switch. Basically your high and you keep chasing that high till your drunk. That's how it works for me anyway. So, I just packed it all in. Screw drinking I'm better off without it!!! I've been AF since 05/17 and i havn't missed it all. I know the cravings are in there just waiting to jump out at me and I have a long way to go but just for today I'm doing grand!! I'm not shy, nor do I feel socially out of place most of the time. Something just happens when I take that first drink or two.
                Good luck Gimp. I'm not sure what your intentions are but if it's going AF your in the right place.
                AF since 06/27/2011

Of all vices, drinking in the most imcompatible with greatness. Sir Walter Scott

Comment

Hey gimp, was just reading through this thread...wondered how you are getting on brother? Stay safe!
                  ?I thought I'd begin by reading a sonnet by Shakespeare, but then I thought, why should I? He never reads any of mine.?

Comment

The shame cycle is so pervasive with drinking - you feel like shit so you find yourself reaching or planning your next drink before you have time to even reflect on what an ass you were yesterday.
                    Going AF is a simple, massive choice.
                    AF 20 April 2011
                    NF 12 December 2009
                    Fresh Fruit for Sobriety

Comment

Hi Gimp. Yes, I do understand where you are coming from. I wasnt always the drunkest, only because most of my drinking buddies are as bad or worse than me. Sometimes it was me, sometimes them, sometimes all of us. Although with 'normal' drinkers, yes I was the biggest lush.
                      My saving grace if you could call it that, was that I fell asleep mid-conversation, toilet, wherever. In the end knew I couldnt even drink in public because I was afraid to.
                      Then the drinking at home, nightly........rarely making it to bed.
                      I know that there are friends of mine who have gradually backed off from me because of my drinking behaviour although I didnt really realise that fully until I got 3 months AF and clearheaded enough to see. This saddens me but I am determined to sort myself out and hope that I can earn their respect again.
                      I'm back on Day 2 but I'll get there - I know what I want now.
                      Wishing you all the best....
                      IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                      Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

i can totally relate to this thread, and bbj's words ring so true. for me it got past the point where i was always invited as i was a party animal... i then stopped getting invites cos i was the drunk that lost the plot. so of course i had my own party at home with my special friend al....... and so the story goes.
                        Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                        Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Hiya Gimp,
                          I really can identify with where you are coming from as well. Before I decided to go AF for some time I could not see myself going without AL. Only once I started to Not drink, as time went by, I couldn't see myself having AL in my life. I don't know about what the future holds. I want so many things in life, and if I kept going down the road I was on I would have none of the things I want. I crave it some times, but it is not worth having as much as the things I so desire outside of it.
                          Just wanted to say Welcome, and you'll have heaps of support here!

Ive learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

Comment

Working...
                          X