Alan Carr's Th easy WayTo Stop Drinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question for those who have read his book. He says it isn't the flawed genes of alcoholics that makes them want more and more. However, when I think back to the first time(s) I drank, I think I probably got drunk. Wouldn't that indicate a predisposition? I'm not sure I buy into his theories, but am trying to keep an open mind. Would be interested in hearing from those of you who have had success with his book.

Thanks, Sheri. I always appreciate you posts -- so wise. You are right that some things will resonate with me, and some won't. That doesn't negate those that do. Thanks so much for replying!!

Comment

Hi 4my,

My AL counsellor really put things into perspective for me in an 'eureka' session. I had read all the books, analysed all the theories and spent years trying to put all the pieces together whilst still drinking like a demon. I guess I was trying to work out the how and why I ended up an alcoholic, the abused child, parents heavy drinker, must have inherited the gene too........

The counsellor, just looked at me exasperated, and said quite simply, 'for Christ sake, stop sweating how you got here, use that energy to stay here, and focus on today, tomorrow will follow'.

It felt as if a huge weight had been lifted, flawed gene or not, me and AL just don?t mix!!

(I do buy into the flawed gene theory, everyone is entitled to their own view)

Hope this helps.
      I can not alter the direction of the wind,

But I can change the direction of my sail.

AF since 01/05/2014

100 days 07/08/2014

Comment

autumn;1125496 wrote:

The counsellor, just looked at me exasperated, and said quite simply, 'for Christ sake, stop sweating how you got here, use that energy to stay here, and focus on today, tomorrow will follow'.
        I agree! I always wanted to know why but at some point realised that it doesn't matter why, just do something about it!

4myhealth - I read the book and didn't think much of it personally but I do think it's a good idea to try out as many potentially helpful things as possible, whatever they may be, and find out what helps you and what doesn't.
        sigpic
        AF since December 22nd 2008
        Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Allen Carr's books are crap. The con man made a fortune with his "Easy way to Stop Smoking". And he doubled his fortune by printing the exact same book, with a different title and the word "Cigarettes" replaced by "Alcohol."

I bought both of them. Neither of them helped. I was waiting for "Allen Carrs's Easy Way to Make Millions by Ripping off Gullible Suckers" but the old fart died before he could finish it. Too bad!

Comment

I like a lot of what Alan Carr says, however his ideas/statements about alcohol are not something new, and are not exactly rocket science - more common senes really. Even more interesting is that some of the things he says, are not dissimilar to the type of things said in AA meetings either.

For me it was just repeating what I already knew, so it wasn't much use in that it wasn't enough to beat my problem. Other people however have found his book eye-opening and inspirational. I'd say he's simply a clever man, who has applied some simple ideas in an easy to access format, it's helped a lot of people realise what alcohol doesn't do for them, as well as making him quite a lot of money.

Comment

Working...
            X