Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why?

I got a question.

Okay I'm day 3 AF, this time. So I know this is the tough time. But while I was watching tv I noticed a commercial for a beer I favor and I thought to myself. Why the hell do they allow alcohol commercials and not cigarette commercials?

I mean both are legal substances. In fact you have to be older to drink alcohol than cigarettes, yet, they show commercials advertising alcohol to all ages, why?

I mean cigarettes cause health problems, so does alcohol. Cigarettes are legal, so is alcohol. Why does the gvmt allow one on tv and not another?

Inquiring minds-especially those trying to stay AF want to know! :soapbox2:

Why?

LOLz I agree totally, but lets just say for the sake of argument, they DO outlaw the commercials.

There is NO way to get away from AL.....bars/liquor stores have those blasted neon signs calling us like a moth to a flame.

Go to the grocery store, and sometimes you have to walk by it.......drives me crazy sometimes.

Just when you think youve forgotten about the AL BAM a trigger
    Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Why?

My guess would be it all comes down to revenue...

Must be that the alcohol commissions are willing to pay more $ than the cig corperations...?

It is pretty strange tho, with everything else you can find on "prime time"....whether you want it or not.

Hart way to go on day 3! :goodjob:
      The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Why?

Yep.. revenue, I'm sure of it. The government makes MILLIONS on taxing liquor.

So glad you're back at it, hart. Hang in there on day 3.. it's always been a doozie for me :l
        Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Why?

hart, fantastic on day 3 af.. and yes .. al is out there all the time... not only comercials... all the sit coms et all.. it really doesnt help us. but at least we can realise and not watch
          Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
          Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Why?

I hear you! I never noticed so many adverts for Al until I quit. Al is really glorified and it's pretty disturbing considering how many problems it causes. Congrats on day 3 that was always a tricky one for me too, it's probably when I was finally recovered and ready to handle it again without really feeling the pain of it. Best of luck ignoring those stupid ads. :h

Comment

Why?

I think the reason alcohol and cigarettes are treated differently is that most people drink alcohol responsibly and so it is seen as legitimate to advertise alcohol to those people. Cigarettes are ALWAYS harmful, but alcohol isn't harmful if consumed in moderation. But yes, I agree that all the alcohol advertising isn't very helpful to those of us who have a drink problem.

Comment

Working...
              X