Menapause and AL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Menapause and AL

I am in menapause, with all the symptoms- hot flashes, mood swings, anxiety, you name it, I got it. I have been so good staying away from AL - (I'm a member of MWO since 2008) , but sometimes my mood swings just take over, and the AL monster taps me on the shoulder and Grabs me into his threshold - just for a day, then I suffer with my next day hangover and start over with day one. I just want to ask any of the wonderful ladies in MWO if they see a connection- Or is is just that I am using menapause as an excuse? Your opinion is Greatly appreciated. I want to make sure if it's the AL I put the blame where it belongs
    DLW
    Sobriety since October 2008 ( with a few bumps in the road ) - but I am still here, strong and fighting every day for my sobriety!
    And every day is a challenge - But I am WINNING so far!

• Yesterday is History
      Today is a Mystery
      Tomorrow is a GIFT

Menapause and AL

Sorry men - TMI alert......I am 46 and am in perimenopause. I was given an antidepressant that I have started titrating myself off of. It was Citolorapram (which I am butchering the spelling I think). Made me sleepy which was good at night, but not really much else. I just bought a book (that I left at home dang!!) and it is about changing your diet to combat the emotional rollercoaster. I started taking extra doses of flaxseed oil and I swear it has made a difference. I have anxieties and massive work stress...which always drove me to the wine. (I am 8 months sober now though) There are other dietary changes that I will start to make once I get further into the book. I really believe that it is a catch 22. We are stressed because of the hormonal changes, the doctors put us on meds, we feel "off" and drinking is something we find comforting (in our minds) and it brings "normalcy" from the craziness our bodies are feeling...so we drink and the cycle of crap starts all over. You are not really using the big M as an excuse per se, but the crazy emotions are steering you towards your "crutch". I speak from past experience. Stop or really cut down on the AL and start concentrating on your heath. Take supplements to help...try not to go on hormone meds (although your doctor can determine that with blood tests - sometimes dietary changes just are not enough). I wish you much luck on this journey. You are seriously not alone. X X O O
    February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Menapause and AL

Thanks for your input Wagon! the feedback is greatly appreciated- you sound like a mirror of me!
      DLW
      Sobriety since October 2008 ( with a few bumps in the road ) - but I am still here, strong and fighting every day for my sobriety!

• Yesterday is History
        Today is a Mystery
        Tomorrow is a GIFT

Comment

Menapause and AL

I am menopausal too and I'm sure it contributes ....
        Growth means change and change involves risk, stepping from the know to the unknown."
        Author Unknown :h

AF - Sept 4, 2012
        10 days - Sept 13, 2012
        2 weeks - Sept 17, 2012
        Slip on the weekend but tried too moderate!
        AF - Sept 24, 2012 (get back on the headaches not worth it)
        Slippery slope Oct 1 ..... Trying to not give up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Menapause and AL

I'm going through the change, too. To be truthful, I had a problem before I got into meno. So, I can't really blame anything on that. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you were drinking abusively before meno, you can't blame it on meno.

Comment

Menapause and AL

Yeah, I think the stresses of meno contribute to the general feeling of not coping, maybe?
            I am 50 and according to my doc I'm not yet in meonpause, but when I was drinking heavily I felt like I was. I had hot flushes and depression etc, but this all stopd when I stopd drinking. SO ummm does drinking make it worse?

Comment

Menapause and AL

I'm 48 and pre-menopausal. Still having hot flashes but they were definitely worse when I was drinking. Hope htis helps.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Menapause and AL

Yes...drinking definitely exacerbates the whole meno situation. Hot flashes, etc. are much worse when drinking.

Comment

Menapause and AL

The book I got is called "Before The Change" by Ann Louise Gittleman, PHD, CNS. Her website is Dr. Ann Louise > Fat Flush for Life, Weight Loss/Detox Expert, Bestselling Author

It has some great insights on what the hell our bodies are doing and what we can do through diet, supps and exercise to combat the wackiness.

You know, I am fairly convinced that God is just getting us back for that whole Apple debauchle...lol
                  February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Menapause and AL

I am sure that my mood swings help contribute to my anxioty, which makes me want to drink,
                    A vicious circle!
                    I am more confident than I have been in a week!
                    Thanks to everyone at MWO, what a great group we have, I am blessed!
                    DLW

• Yesterday is History
                      Today is a Mystery
                      Tomorrow is a GIFT

Comment

Menapause and AL

Hi:
                      I just started going through the same thing. Clothes on then off, covers on then covers off. I would start to feel a burning sensation on my face and neck and then would start to pour. I am 53 but not in total menopause yet. I seemed worse with AL so I did some research to find that I was correct.
                      I am trying wild yam cream and black cohosh and it seems to be working. I have also finished day 11 AF.
                      Good luck ladies.
                      Don't worry, be happy!

Comment

Menapause and AL

Hi Ladies

I am 49, 50 in October so am sure it is just around the corner. I was blood tested about a year and a half ago and they said I wasnt peri-menopausal but cycle has changed this year. I was a very functional wine alcoholic and even though I have turned my life around since joining MWO I still slip, especially when in a social situation. (Social drinking was never a problem, it was the home alone stuff). I am thinking of using the menopause as my excuse for not drinking. No thanks, it does not agree with me anymore! Turn something negative into something positive.

Rustop

Comment

Menapause and AL

:eeks: Jesus sometimes being a man has its advantages :H:eeks:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Menapause and AL

Hey Mario, your post gave me a chuckle......don't all men have a little feminine side....:H
                            IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                            Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Menapause and AL

dlw;1127543 wrote: I am in menapause, with all the symptoms- hot flashes, mood swings, anxiety, you name it, I got it. I have been so good staying away from AL - (I'm a member of MWO since 2008) , but sometimes my mood swings just take over, and the AL monster taps me on the shoulder and Grabs me into his threshold - just for a day, then I suffer with my next day hangover and start over with day one. I just want to ask any of the wonderful ladies in MWO if they see a connection- Or is is just that I am using menapause as an excuse? Your opinion is Greatly appreciated. I want to make sure if it's the AL I put the blame where it belongs
                              Hi Dlw, yes i too am in the menopause and too can relate to this, and no matter how you try to get away from it it just does'nt go and the only thing you can do is go get that bottle of wine drink and the next day feel like shit yeah been seen got the t-shirt vicious twat it is :upset: x

Comment

Working...
                              X