Putting things in perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just thinking-if I had a treatable form of cancer or some other disease, what would I do? Would I say, "No thanks, I'd rather die than be treated"? Or would I stop treatment after five days because it was "just too hard"? I really don't think so. I think I would do whatever it took to get well.
    I need to look at my drinking the same way. I have a treatable condition but only if I am willing to go through a bit of suffering. It would be madness to say "No thanks" to all available support and/or treatment options.
    This is what happens when I don't drink-I start thinking!
    I hope everyone has a happy sober weekend!
    Jackie M

This is why MWO is so beautiful to me. I would say consider all options--natural for me. It is not easy either way but doable. It really comes down to choice. What we want and what we need to do to achieve a lifestyle we desire. Nice to meet you JackieM:goodjob:

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Hi JackieM, its 2 in the morning here. Got news tonight that a very dear friend has been diagnosed - been thinking about it ever since; dont know why but just turned on computer and yours is the post I find. Had been feeling a bit down but you have just helped give me the kick in the butt I needed. I am in a position to do something about my situation, as are we all........I invited alcohol into my life, others dont have that choice..... thank you
      IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
      Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Good analogy jackie m.

Unfortunately a lot of people dont take the alcoholism/problem drinking serious enough.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hi Jackie, you are right on the money. I was slowly killing myself, taking years off my life, and doing it every week. (not to mention the bad decisions I was making while drinking).

It is the challenge for us all, and for all rehab therapy professionals etc, to figure out this mystery: we chose to drink. I think, part of it lies in the problem that one night of drinking, by itself, won't really hurt you. One cigarette, will not give you cancer. So if we think of each event, isolated, our brains some how categorize things differently. In addition, alcohol was not in our brains as they evolved. It is a chemical toxin, that humans created, and (in my opinion) we are not really wired to deal with it well.

Just a few thoughts,
          Hill
          Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

I have watched several people battle illnesss as well. I can't believe that I would voluntarily destroy my health while these people were fighting just to stay alive. Sheer madness. It's a wonder I never killed myself with my drunken escapades.

Comment

Working...
            X