Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triggers

Hi all:

My issue isn't "craving" so much as it is "triggers" which lead to a 3-day binge. Here's a few big ones:
    1) Conversations with my ex, who bad-mouths me behind my back and sometimes to my face. These comments come out of nowhere - we can be having a pleasant conversation over a meal and he'll pass an obnoxious remark. He undermined my self-esteem in this way for the whole 8 years we were together, so it's not like I miss him. But I think I need to avoid him for a while.
    2) When I compare the home I grew up in to the condition of my condo, it's horrifying. Nothing here is properly put away or well maintained, and when the ex moved out he left a mess behind. Plus, he took some furniture, so it's hard for me to organize clothes and things. This is going to take a one-step-at-a-time approach to fix, but it's so depressing I don't know where to start. I've called a very close friend to help, so this may move things along.
    3) Financial / unemployment worries. I left my job because that was one huge trigger. This was the absolute right decision. I've been interviewing but no luck yet.

When I dwell on these things, it depresses me and makes me want to self-medicate. A few things which have helped:
    1) Omega-3 supplements. I just feel a little better every time I take them.
    2) A movie is generally long enough to allow a "trigger" to pass.
    3) My 2 cats. When I pet them, it calms me down and the purring makes me feel better.
    4) A cool shower.
    5) A NA "special drink" - my favorite is a strawberry/grapefruit smoothie with crushed ice.

What triggers do you guys have, and how do you address them? :new:

Triggers

My world is full of triggers....an old song, watching a movie where they pour a whiskey shot, a neon sign, billboard advertisement, the list goes on and on.

So far my only way to deal with them, is to tell my AL voice, that I dont drink....and then quickly redirect my thinking.

I think triggers are here to stay
    Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Triggers

Thank you Nelz

Yes, triggers are not going anywhere, and we can only avoid some. Making a conscious choice to change the subject in your head sounds like a good idea.

Comment

Triggers

Hi Thomas and welcome to mwo,have you checked out the tool box thread in monthly abstinence thread, lots of great advice there,
        Even though triggers & cravings stay with us they do more or less disappear,I very seldom ever think about alcohol now only if I want to remind myself how far I have come without it,.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Triggers

Thanks Mario, I will do that.

Comment

Triggers

its understandable that certain things trigger our drinking thoughts. over the years we get so use to using al to help us through a trauma or a celebration.... well anything really, theyre not gonna go away overnight. i think in time when we get used to dealing with things differently our triggers will fade.
            Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
            Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Triggers

I think just being aware of triggers, recognising them and saying "Hmmm I want a drink because X,Y, Z has just happened". Often just that realisation can lead to you reasoning the whole thing out, and working through whatever it is.

Comment

Working...
              X