OMG 90 days for me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG 90 days for me!

Today is 90 days AL free for me and I could not be happier! For so long I was stuck in a never ending hopeless cycle of drinking and being hungover. I begged, prayed and pleaded for an end to the insanity and I finally found it. Life is so amazing without alcohol. Even when I have bad days now they are nothing compared to any of my drinking days.

Thanks to this website and your girls/guys I am sober today and for the rest of my life! I have no doubts about ever drinking again. There are times when the thoughts cross my mind - usually out of the blue (which can be alarming). But I have learned to redirect my thinking and not give in. The thoughts leave pretty quickly and don't come very often anymore.

Hope you all have an awesome day and for those of you struggling YOU CAN DO THIS!
    AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

OMG 90 days for me!

Wow Red!!!!

I didn't realize it was 90 days. So you quit on St. Patrick's Day? LOL! Red!!!!
    I feel the same way about not ever drinking again. All of my friends who haven't seen me for a while ask me....have you lost weight? You look great!. What have you been doing? Did you get a new hairstyle?? I just say thanks.....

Here's a question for you, Red. How do you handle the social pressures of people getting in your face with AL? It almost seems like people don't trust me or something when I say I don't want to drink. It's really a problem. I am avoiding some social gatherings and that is no way to live.
    I lie and tell people I'm on medication for one thing or another and can't drink. I'm just 25 days AF, and I am terrified to deal with social situations. I don't want to let anyone pressure me, and it seems like there is no escape.
    THOUGHTS become THINGS
    choose the GOOD
    ones!

AF since 5/22/11 :boxer: Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.............

Comment

OMG 90 days for me!

Red
      Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! KISS SLOWLY Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. sigpic

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...

?Oh no....he's awake!! Cos he's bleeding sober again

Comment

OMG 90 days for me!

Congratulations red67 on 90 days.

And Barbara look at you cracking along on 25days AF :goodjob:

Barbara,hun. I avoided all social situations like the plague for at least 30 days after I went AF, probably even longer and when I did go I pulled out the meds excuse. If anyone asks me now I just say I enjoyed not drinking so much that I decided to stick with it.

Red67, I'd love to know how you deal with these situations. I'm sure there's going to be the day I'm lost for words.
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

OMG 90 days for me!

:goodjob:

Woohoo!!!
          I'll do whatever it takes
          AF 21/08/2009

Comment

OMG 90 days for me!

Red, sobriety can sneak up on you too, can't it!! I'm happy you're enjoying your new life. You KNOW now it's worth it. Now, don't let the stinkin' thinkin' come back to you (I can handle one, I'm not so bad) because you KNOW you don't want to go back there. CONGRATULATIONS!!
            sigpic
            Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
            awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

OMG 90 days for me!

Barbara1234;1131393 wrote: Wow Red!!!!

I didn't realize it was 90 days. So you quit on St. Patrick's Day? LOL! Red!!!!
              I feel the same way about not ever drinking again. All of my friends who haven't seen me for a while ask me....have you lost weight? You look great!. What have you been doing? Did you get a new hairstyle?? I just say thanks.....

Here's a question for you, Red. How do you handle the social pressures of people getting in your face with AL? It almost seems like people don't trust me or something when I say I don't want to drink. It's really a problem. I am avoiding some social gatherings and that is no way to live.
              I lie and tell people I'm on medication for one thing or another and can't drink. I'm just 25 days AF, and I am terrified to deal with social situations. I don't want to let anyone pressure me, and it seems like there is no escape.
              I'm struggling with that one too. I lied today on facebook and said I had given up for a week as a personal challenge, and it had turned to a month and now 3. People are always asking me why I don't drink and even today my parents in law brought me a bottle of wine. I have not drunk since 15 March. Today I am proudly 3 months AF and really enjoying it.
              I had to go to a big party at the weekend where I would normally have got drunk like everyone else did. I had such a massive come down on Monday when I felt freakish and unaccepted because of not drinking.
              I think it's a big issue especially in the society and circles I live in
              If anyone has any help then I would appreciate it too

ps congratulations on being 90 days.... you are 2 behind me. I had my first non-alcoholic day on Tues 15 March. I remember it well. I nearly punched the walls in....
              Corinnex
              I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Comment

OMG 90 days for me!

Pin, misery loves company. How bad has our thinking become to believe we can't be happy without poison. Remember this: the other people, who drink, don't want your sobriety to allow you to REALLY see their bad behavior. This is not for your friends, it's for you. And believe me, no matter how you feel seen by them, they have a grudging respect for you. Good going.
                sigpic
                Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

OMG 90 days for me!

Thanks all for your support!

As far as handling social situations, in the first 30 days I did not go out at all. As the time has gone on and I learn to control and redirect my thoughts I am able to be around people who drink without a problem. What I have a problem with is when people try to push me to drink. It has happened a couple times and I have told them I don't drink anymore but they did not understand. I did not stay around them long and I have decided to stay away from situations that I know or think people will try to get me to drink. Honestly I don't have a problem doing that because they did not experience the hell drinking put me thru, and if they can't respect what I say I can't be around them. I have told my family and people closest to me about my drinking problems and why I quit so they would not continue to give me alcohol as gifts or try to offer my drinks. This has helped tons. Some people are afraid to tell others but for me it has really helped. I also feel it keeps me focused because they do know now and I don't want to ever let myself or them down by drinking again. Its a personal decision and you have to feel comfortable sharing that with others. Although I do have to say I was terrified to tell people because of shame and a fear of failing but know I discuss it freely with people I feel I can trust. I am proud of my decision to quit and in no way am I ashamed of myself anymore.
                  AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

OMG 90 days for me!

Thank you for sharing.

At first I told very few people. But more recently I have told a few friends the truth. Most of them were quite shocked. They knew I drank a bit much but not as bad as I did. I am embarassed to tell the truth to my family. They don't know about the other things either. I got depressed so I drank. The drink made me more depressed. It was a vicious circle and I couldn't get out of it. They wouldn't understand

I have not been pressured into drinking yet. I'm quite feisty so most people who know me know there's no point telling me what to do. The demons are all in my head. I hate that right now.

But I am finding it hard to deal with my personality (or my perceived lack of it) in social situations where previously I would have got drunk as quickly as possible in order to relax and be funny. Without alcohol I feel bland and lifeless. But I know that's not true, I have to tell myself and that's quite hard.

Tonight I am supposed to be celebrating being 3 months AF but I feel lonely and quite low and the thought of a drink came into my head as in these situations I would have opened a bottle of wine and finished it.

It's a long journey and I have barely started. I am not ashamed of my decision to quit but more of the fact that I got into a mess with alcohol before I made that decision.

90 days is awesome. 3 months is a day more awesome. I need to tell myself that tonight. Well done for your achievements
                    I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

Comment

OMG 90 days for me!

:yougo::yougo:CONGRATULATIONS ON 90 DAYS AF RED!!!:yougo::yougo:

fABulous!! Love your post too. Love the positive energy. I so happy for you that you are enjoying sober living! Onward!

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

OMG 90 days for me!

Awesome job RED
                        Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

OMG 90 days for me!

red67;1131390 wrote: Life is so amazing without alcohol. Even when I have bad days now they are nothing compared to any of my drinking days.
                          AMEN!! CONGRATULATIONS!!
                          sigpic
                          Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

OMG 90 days for me!

Thanks Red,

You are awesome, and I will take your advice and try and apply it to my life now. I think I will still lay low for a while longer though. Waiting anxiously for the day I can blend in with social situations involving THE POISON.

pingu

R U kidding me????? There are more ways to celebrate that having a drink. You have to celebrate!! Buy something to remind yourself of your accomplishment, don't let it go feeling blue.......
                            THOUGHTS become THINGS
                            choose the GOOD
                            ones!

AF since 5/22/11 :boxer: Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.............

Comment

OMG 90 days for me!

sadly I am not kidding you
                              I am tired and lonely and down and I am watching a soppy film and wishing I had a glass of wine in my hand
                              sorry but that's me tonight
                              but I promised so I won't, drink tonight

Comment

Working...
                              X