Things I regret because of drinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Almost getting arrested at a bar during a work trip and in a company car because I became confrontational. A sheriff drove me to a hotel and I left the hotel to try to get my car and drive home (2 hrs). the sheriff caught me & took me back to the hotel with strict instructions I was not to leave. I was late to my son's concert the next day and sick as h**l.
    2. All the times I have slept in because "Mom was sick"...
    3. All the times I have picked fights with my husband and son so I could storm off and drink alone.
    4. all of the times I couldn't really be there for my son because I wanted to drink more or because I too hungover to deal with it.

Almost everything i did for 20 odd years.
    AF since 10/26/2009

It will be five years sober 10/26/2014

Comment

Thanks for this. I still cry when I think about certain things...so many more I could have written about. I am new to all of this and grateful for a place that feels safe.

Comment

MH, (Hazel was my Momma's name!) I can't believe a sheriff was so kind to you! It was NOT my experience!!!
        Drinking at my parent's funerals.
        Drinking around my children, grandchildren.
        Drinking (being warped!) PERIOD!
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

I had a great dog named Ruby!

Thanks for the reply. I love being able to talk and not worry about it. It is comforting to know that I am not the only one...I am looking forward to better stories that don't involve me being completely self-destructive.

Comment

MH, I don't know where in this big world, you are. But I can tell you, what we don't know about those we are around daily would surprise us. EVERYONE who posts, at some point, says they think they are the only ones with a problem. NOT!!! We are just stronger and smarter, to realize we're dealing with a poison, and one that even if we think we're in contol of, we're 99% not.
            It's good to talk to you. About my bedtime tho! In US, just south of Hartsfield Airport.
            Take care, dear one.
            sigpic
            Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
            awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Sleep well

I'm looking forward to the day I can sleep again.

Comment

I regret the start of my drinking career.
                I regret the stupid things that I did drunk.
                I regret the hangovers from drinking too much.
                I regret missing work (only once) and church (a couple of times) from having a hangover.
                I regret the money and time wasted.
                I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Hi MissHazel!

Nice to meet you & welcome to MWO, this is a good place!

We all have regrets I'm sure but I've done my best to put all that in the past & leave it there. It's history & we shouldn't waste time trying to change something we can't change.
                  Put your energy into creating a brighter future & taking back control of your life

Sleep will come, it takes a bit of time! Are you using the MWO CDs? They really helped me a lot

Wishing you the best!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

It felt good for me to put these these down in writing. I hope it helped you too.

Comment

Welcome Hazel :welcome: I agree with Lavande the past is the past. We learn from it. But I will say one regret of mine is not being able to remember half of my life! xx :l

Comment

hi lavende,
                        I have just started here and ordered starter kits yesterday so the CDs will be here soon. I am committed to listening to them once they are here. did they help you?

Comment

I regret ever starting to drink, I regret all the words and mean things I can't take back I regret that I hated my parents drinking and I did it anyway, I regret that it had made me look fat old an tired. I regret most my life for the past 15 year I have spent drinking because I know I could have one it so much better sometimes I regret not being raised by different parents. Regret that I can't get a do over

Comment

Oh the regrets!!!!
                            Everyone here could write a book on the subject, and most of us have unburdened ourself in this safe, loving environment and found comfort and support from empathetic fellow sufferers. You've found a wonderful place of peace where you'll make true and lasting friends who will give of their all to help you get where you want to be. So, from me, a big

:colorwelcome:

If I might suggest a thread for you to search out and read, prepare to spend a few hours reading "You Know You're An Alcoholic When..." and have tissues at hand. Laughter and tears lie within this thread, and it reached out to me and touched my heart.

Best wishes on your journey.
                            :h Mish :h
                            sigpic
                            Never give up...
                            GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
                            Remaining a perpetual possibility
                            Only in a world of speculation.
                            What might have been and what has been
                            Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

I regret putting my life on hold to self medicate the pain. The pain does not go away--BUT--I can and will deal with it without becoming a drunk. Wishing you all the best in meeting your goals.
                              Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Working...
                              X