This weekend has been REALLY HARD!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have made it through the weekend with many weak moments!!!!

Is it normal to feel really low and irritated with everyone, my kids have driven me mad and my husband also. I am irritated because I feel soooooo bored. Usually on the weekend I would look forward to a nice bottle of wine each night with good food. I didnt used to mind sitting watching TV but watching TV drinking water or squash with my husband happily chilling and not really talking has annoyed the hell out of me.

Any ideas? Will this get easier?

I have kept myself busy during the day, dog walking, going to the gym and taking the kids swimming. Its just the evenings!!

Bored Rocks

Thanks Molly, yeah I have done cleaning in the evening which has helped but the weekends are hard. I am only 15 days AF and not sure I can do this!!

I have thought about signing up for an art class or interior design course or maybe both but they dont start until September!!

I am sure I will feel better on Monday!!

Comment

Hi Rocks,

I cant put it better than Molly already has.
      If you stick with it and dont drink, it REALLY will get easier, you wont regret it.
      Keep up your great work.

Just listen to the great Mollyka, she ROCKS !!!
      You are a great support here.

Hope you are all keeping well.

Damo (off to work :-( , in Dublin ) and nearly 6 months sober :-))
      Still trying !!!
      AF 25th June2014

Comment

Hi Molly.....Cork marathon was tough, they love there hills down there, but got through it in just under 4 hrs, roll on October for the Dublin Marathon :-), and yes, nearly 6 months, thanks, I cant believe it !!!

Sorry Rocks, lets keep going, you are great so far.....

Damo
        x
        Still trying !!!
        AF 25th June2014

Comment

Rocks, like Molly and Damo said, it will improve. In time, the paradigm through which you view a day, a weekend, a week, an evening will change. Once the new pattern of behaviour, new habits, no routines are all formed (it took me about six months of sobriety) than things really start to change. After about two months, I found the irritability went down to normal levels.

In the early going, our body seems to go through such a shock without the poison, and than it has to work so hard at getting balanced out again, living without the poison, that during that process, irritability seems standard.

Hang in there. How you experience those nights with your husband will change in time.
          Hill
          Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Weekends tend to be the hardest for a lot of people, but hang in there. The more weekends that you stack up, the easier the weekends will get. This quit, the weekends are getting easier and easier. In previous quits they were just as hard because I wasn't fully in the quit.
            I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Yes, I agree it will get better. For me, it was every night, so the weekdays and weekends all ran into one long continuous week. There will come a time when you won't be thinking of it, except to say. "wow, I haven't had anything to drink since June, and it's December now!"

Comment

When I first quit drinking I thought it was boring too. Then I realized it was really the other way around. Life was not boring, hence I drank. I was drinking, and hence became a huge bore. All I really ever wanted to do in the end was drink. If my husband were in a pattern of just "chilling" in front of the tube every night, I loved it. Gave me all the time in the world to drink drink drink.

It takes a little more effort to build a fulfilling life than it does to just drink every time I'm bored, sad, happy, stressed, relaxed, etc. I'm glad I learned around here and also at AA that I should go ahead and put in the effort to find new interest and explore myself and a new life. It's sure been worth it.

What you are going through is normal. Feeling sorry for yourself about it is normal too - I sure went through it and I would imagine most if not all of us did. As they say....(whoever "they" are LOL) - get off the pity pot and find something meaningful to do!

Since you mentioned art and/or interior design classes in the fall, how about some books from the library about interior design over the summer? Maybe pick a room in your house to work on? Or a trip through the Hobby/Craft Store (i.e. Hobby Lobby?) to find an arts/crafts project that catches your eye? There is plenty to do besides sit on the sofa bored. I hope you will look at the positive - all the wonderful opportunites we have once the ball and chain of AL is removed.

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                X