Nervous about holidays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nervous about holidays

Have had 2 weekends away and got on ok, but really nervous and slightly agitated about my holidays.

I am heading to Majorca with my wife and son in 3 weeks.
    Usually this is the go ahead for 14 days in a row of alcohol.
    This will be my first sun sober holiday. I think I will be fine . I have a plan, mainly involving my commitment to my morning runs on the beach, cant wait for this as I am really enjoying my runs now.
    I also havent read the MWO book so may download it before I go and bring it to read.

I have accepted this holiday may be tough, although my wife will be supportive and no hangover will mean I will able for more fun things with my son. I have so much more time for my boys now since I quit the booze which keeps me driven to stay AF.
    How have sober holidays been for you ? tricky at first I guess
    Thanks.
    Damo
    x
    Still trying !!!
    AF 25th June2014

Nervous about holidays

Damo, any time I do something for the first (or sometimes second or third) time sober that I used to do drunk, it's a bit of a challenge. My brain needs time and opportunity to create new sober memories of those old drunken things. Vacations as you describe (or any kind of travel) have been a real "watch zone" for me.

My best defense has always been a good offense, as you describe - a good game plan. I have also intentionally traveled to some AA events to get some sober travel under my belt in what feels to me like a "safe zone." Hopefully your wife and family can be your "safe zone" on this trip!

Staying very busy and doing active things (like you describe!!) would certainly be on my list. Take it one day at a time. Your family is worth it!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Nervous about holidays

Hi Damo,

I started like you and had a couple of weekends away and without having alcohol playing a big part of them enjoyed them to the full.

Since then I've had 2 holidays both of them in Ireland. I was lucky enough both times to meet up with some MWOers but most of the time I was with my husband. Well in the past it would have just been a booze fest from beginning to end regardless of how much booze costs in Ireland.

In all truth I didn't miss it one bit, just getting up in the morning with out a hangover was utter bliss. Not having to wait for a 'decent' time to have a drink or a sneaky drink to stop the rattles before my husband was awake was was a godsend. And of course I made sure I was near a Butlers coffee shop in case of emergencies.

Of course the best person to ask is our,Mario. He seems to enjoy a holiday or two in the sun a couple of times a year.

You'll have a great time with your Mrs and the boys and just think you'll be first up to put your towels on the loungers.

J x
      :l
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Nervous about holidays

Damo, the only influences you will have with you are your wife, who you say is supportive, and your children, who I'm SURE love having a sober dad. SOooo, talk to your wife when you feel cravings. Take a minute and go play with the babes. ANYTHING to change your past drinking routine on your vacation. Read some of the great success stories here (I'd recommend Hillside, for one) and see the great joy they've found in their loved ones, in sobriety. So many things in life are difficult 'the first time', but we can get through it, and find how proud we are with our successes. Have a great time, sober!
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Nervous about holidays

Hi damo, just back from Ibiza, :-)

As this is your first sober holiday the support your wife gives you is important,so if can talk to her about it it is well worth while,keeping busy in what you enjoy is a must also bring a few good books you have always wanted to read,It be nice to have a response to when people or friends ask would you like a drink,For me I have great pride in telling people i dont drink alcohol,You will have a great time and the amount of activities that you can do when not drinking is unbelievable.:-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Nervous about holidays

Hi Damo,
            I just had my first AF holiday. It was a spur of the moment holiday so I had not prepared mentally. It was an adjustment as every night my brain seemed to think it would like to have a cocktail since I was on "holidays," and the urges did get very strong as some points. Only my resolve was stronger. In the mornings when I woke up it felt so good to have not had given in, and to just start my day without having any AL effects in the background. Dg is right, it just takes getting used to doing things you used to do with AL, to doing them without. I hope you have a wonderful holiday. You will see with each day that you do not drink how much better your holiday was without it. Take Care!

Ive learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

Comment

Working...
            X