Self Acceptance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Acceptance

It is a well known fact that the seed of any successful positive change is SELF-ACCEPTANCE. Once we accept ourselves with all our flaws we are then able to make the changes that benefit us. Here is a list of suggestions to practice in order to begin the process of self-acceptance.

STOP ALL CRITICISM. Criticism never changes a thing. Refuse to criticize yourself. Accept yourself exactly the way you are. Everybody changes. When you criticize yourself, your changes are negative. When you approve of yourself, your changes are positive. (As you let up on yourself you will also notice that you criticize others less also and your relationships will magically improve.)

DON’T SCARE YOURSELF. Stop terrorizing yourself with your thoughts. It's a dreadful way to live. Find a mental image that gives you pleasure and immediately switch your scary thought to a more pleasant thought. (Practice focusing on thoughts that make you feel good for longer and longer periods of time to gently guide yourself into a sustained joyful state.)

BE GENTLE AND KIND AND PATIENT. Be gentle with yourself. Be kind to yourself as you learn new ways of thinking. Treat yourself as you would someone you really loved. (Be your own best friend.)

BE KIND TO YOUR MIND. Self-hatred is the result of hating your own thoughts. Don't hate yourself for having the thoughts. Gently change your thoughts. (Just notice the thought and say "Even though I have chosen negative thoughts in the past, I love and accept myself deeply and completely.")

PRAISE YOURSELF. Criticism breaks down the inner spirit. Praise builds it up. Praise yourself as much as you can. Tell yourself how well you are doing with even little things. (Make a list of 10 things you like about yourself.)

FIND WAYS TO SUPPORT YOURSELF. Reach out to friends and allow them to help you. It is being strong to ask for help when you need it. (If old unwanted patterns persist, consider positive change coaching to clear them.)

BE LOVING TO YOUR NEGATIVES. Acknowledge that you created them to fulfill a need. Now you are finding new, positive ways to fulfill those needs. So lovingly release the old negative patterns. ( And replace them with new healthy patterns by focusing on what you prefer.)

TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY. Learn about nutrition. What kind of fuel does your body need to have optimum energy and vitality? Learn about exercise. What kind of exercise can you enjoy? Cherish and revere the temple you live in. (Your relationship with your own body is your primary relationship and sets the tome for relationships with others.)

MIRROR WORK. Look into your eyes often. Express the growing sense of love you have for yourself. Forgive yourself. Forgive yourself looking into the mirror. (If you cannot do this, look deep within yourself for the beliefs that are blocking you.)

LOVE YOURSELF…DO IT NOW. Don't wait until you get well, or lose the weight, or get a handle on your drinking habits, or get the new job, or get out of debt, or find the new relationship. Begin now…and do the best you can
    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ? Lao-Tzu

Self Acceptance

Awesome post,

I agree with every single word. I would encourage every one to read it.

Well done.
    I refuse to be labelled or ashamed. Through my struggles I am achieving self awareness and clarity.

Comment

Self Acceptance

I just love all the great insight found hear on this site.
      It just goes to show you that all of us are very intellectual and full of FEELING!Thank you for your inspiration!

Comment

Self Acceptance

:wd: Well done Tips!
        How is everything going?
        THOUGHTS become THINGS
        choose the GOOD
        ones!

AF since 5/22/11 :boxer: Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.............

Comment

Self Acceptance

Hi tipps , great post and great to see your postive attitude.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Self Acceptance

Great post Tips. I heard a great saying some years ago from a Buddhist friend, "you don't have to believe everything you think".

Or my other personal favourite, "Your mind is a bullshit machine!" All too often we tie ourselves up in knots over our real or imagined wrongdoings and self criticism when we would never dream of saying to another person the things we say to ourselves. I try to be mindful of the negative inner dialogue these days and it does help to observe it and then change mental tracks.

Bean

Comment

Self Acceptance

Awesome post Tipps. Love it.
              AF since 06/27/2011

Of all vices, drinking in the most imcompatible with greatness. Sir Walter Scott

Comment

Self Acceptance

Bean;1138380 wrote: "you don't have to believe everything you think".
                Now, I'm stealing that!

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                X