Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pain, could alcohol cause this?

Hi all

Its a sily question but over the last month I have had a steadily increasing pain in my arm, hand and shoulder on the left side. Its an ache but with a feeling of numbness about it. I'd think it was RSI but its not the arm I use my mouse with....

before I go to the Dr next week I wondered if anyne had any idea. could it be drink related.

Please see a Doctor ASAP

Hi tinkerbell,

I am not doctor but what you are describing in your post could be heart related. I am not trying to alarm you, but my advice would be for you to get into your doctor as soon as possible to be on the safer side.

Drinking can cause a lot of pain, no doubt about that. But if you are experiencing it particularly on your left side, it could be a sign of something serious.

Do yourself a favour and get your butt to the Doctor! This way you can rule out what is wrong and relax.

Comment

Accountable for Me wrote: Hi tinkerbell,

I am not doctor but what you are describing in your post could be heart related. I am not trying to alarm you, but my advice would be for you to get into your doctor as soon as possible to be on the safer side.

Drinking can cause a lot of pain, no doubt about that. But if you are experiencing it particularly on your left side, it could be a sign of something serious.

Do yourself a favour and get your butt to the Doctor! This way you can rule out what is wrong and relax.
      hmmm, I'm only 28

and it feels muscular or something to me...

i might try calling my Dr in the morning though, just in case

thanks!

Comment

Hey, Tink--

AFM offers a good caution. MI can occur even in teenagers. I really hope that you will call your doctor. Some drinkers get pain in the limbs, hands and feet because of peripheral neuropathy. Your doctor might want to rule that out, too.

Good luck.

:heart: E

Comment

Didn't Mean to Alarm

Hi Again,

I didn't mean to alarm you. My husband's friend dropped dead at 31 from a heart attack. I don't think it really matters how old you are. Not that I was assuming your age or anything. Left side pain from what you described sounded like it could be something serious, sorry.

If you are saying it is muscular, it could be a pinched nerve. They can cause that type of pain as well and can take a while to heal.

Anyway, I still say see a doctor.

Comment

I had similar symptoms and it turned out to be a torn rotator cuff. I had it repaired by a surgeon and after a year or so it appears completley healed. I had constant pain in my arm (primarily in the bicep area) and it went down to my hand. Was also painful in the shoulder but mostly in the arm. I thought I tore my bicep but turned out that the damage was in the shoulder and it caused the pain in my arm down to my hand.

P.S. Before the correct diagnosis was found I was checked for coranary problems and tried physical therapy.

Comment

When my husband had his heart attack at 44, I picked up the medical encyclopedia, and it opened to a page that said, "If you have any reason to suspect you are having a heart attack, go to the emergency room immediately." I'm not saying it's an emergency, but you need to see a doctor.

Comment

cajuncritter wrote: I had similar symptoms and it turned out to be a torn rotator cuff. I had it repaired by a surgeon and after a year or so it appears completley healed. I had constant pain in my arm (primarily in the bicep area) and it went down to my hand. Was also painful in the shoulder but mostly in the arm. I thought I tore my bicep but turned out that the damage was in the shoulder and it caused the pain in my arm down to my hand.

P.S. Before the correct diagnosis was found I was checked for coranary problems and tried physical therapy.
                i think this might be i, but my pain is mostly in the shoulder and now its gone really stiff and makes horrible cracking noises when i pinch the muscle

so at least i'm sure its not a heart attack anyway

thanks everyone

Comment

It is likely the rotator but do rule out cardiovascular. It is nothing to fool with! And drinking a lot is bad for the heart.

All the best, Ivy

Comment

Working...
                  X