Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will there ever be a cure for this awful disease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They have cures for cancer, why cant they give us a magic pill to cure Alcoholism! I would pay a anything (as long as my insurance does it co-pay LOL)

I hate it when someone says - "I hear that "this person " or "that Person" fought Alcohol their whole life " or once a drunk, always a drunk- it's so frustrating when I listen to those comments

I guess we all have our demons but I just need to vent Thanks for listening!
    DLW
    Sobriety since October 2008 ( with a few bumps in the road ) - but I am still here, strong and fighting every day for my sobriety!
    And every day is a challenge - But I am WINNING so far!

• Yesterday is History
      Today is a Mystery
      Tomorrow is a GIFT

There are those who believe that there is no cure for alcoholism – that if you’re an alcoholic or an addict, then no matter what treatment you go through, you’ll still be an alcoholic or an addict for the rest of your life.

Wouldn’t it be more useful to encourage people and remind them that lasting change is possible. If you can heal the underlying causes of the addiction, then a former alcoholic no longer has such a tendency. Of course they would be prudent to be very respectful and observant of their relationship to alcohol.

Can a former alcoholic ever drink sensibly again? Some can and in my opinion the majority cannot. Abstinence is an option for most (It is for me), but that does not mean it is the only option which works .

There is only a cure for alcoholism if the problems that are causing it in the first place are dealt with. imo but i am no doctor.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Well said Mario,

I think that in most cases there is an underlying problem, but sometimes there is not necessarily an underlying problem. (Not speaking about myself).
      Let's face it, AL makes you feel good, some of it actually tastes good.

I don't think all addicts have an underlying psychological problem. For some it may simply be a physical addiction. Whatever it is, it's a cruel joke on us.
      THOUGHTS become THINGS
      choose the GOOD
      ones!

AF since 5/22/11 :boxer: Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.............

Comment

Yes I agree to that as well Babara, I am also hopeful baclofen or some other med will be eventually passed & approved by the medical profession,Dont know why there is not more imput by the WHO into them as they seem to work for some people here.

Comment

I agree with you Mario, great post. Addicts seem to be told that they have this terrible affliction for life and it weighs heavily on some people. To put into perspective I'd rather deal with being an addict than be told I have terminal cancer. Whatever you are going through at the moment just remember there are plenty of people that have it far worse.
          I refuse to be labelled or ashamed. Through my struggles I am achieving self awareness and clarity.

Comment

Hi dlw. I believe I will always be an alcholic, but I am no longer "suffering" from it. At least not today. It was such a mighty struggle to get started on the AF path. For so many years I couldn't even go one day without a drink. Now I can wake up each day and make a choice not to drink today, and it's not difficult or oppressive. I do things to embrace and reinforce my sobriety on a daily basis. But I enjoy doing these things - they are life saving and life giving for me.

I can remember a time when I felt the sort of fear that you describe. Am I going to be faced with a depressing, frightening daily struggle for ever and ever? All I can say is that it certainly was a struggle at first. But at some point it got easier. I also started taking a close look at myself. I'm getting to know myself (warts and all) and working to change those things about "me" that I don't really like. Putting effort in each day to become the me I now believe I CAN be is a healthy process.

I hope you realize it can work this way for you too. The hardest part is getting going. If whatever you have tried so far isn't working, look around here for a new idea and go for it.

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I too have conquered the daily Struggle Doggie, and enjoy more days of sobriety than Drunkeness. But I still have the demons and anxiety that sneak up on me- so like everyone else here- I am always on guard against those demons!
              I like me now - its just that I seem to get defensive when someone says once a drunk always a drunk- cause I am on the winning side for Now and don't want to defend myself
              DLW
              Sobriety since October 2008 ( with a few bumps in the road ) - but I am still here, strong and fighting every day for my sobriety!

• Yesterday is History
                Today is a Mystery
                Tomorrow is a GIFT

Comment

Well said as well sheri & doggygirl :-)

Comment

You are awesome guys! you all say it so well
                  DLW

• Yesterday is History
                    Today is a Mystery
                    Tomorrow is a GIFT

Comment

Our cure lies within ourselves, somewhere.

Ive learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

Comment

Sheri - I'm right there with you on the sugar/carb creep. You are inspiring me to increase my efforts to get that back on track! I feel so much better when I'm outside the grip of all of it.

I too had Candida yeast overgrowth when I first quit drinking. I used a protocol from WholeApproach.com - Natural Candida Treatment - Systemic Yeast Infection and Candida Diet Recipes, Forums and Products (in addition to diet) to overcome. (in case anyone is looking for additional resources)

The whole debate about "cure" is pretty irrelevant to me. Whether I am "cured" or not doesn't matter as long as I have found a way to live healthy and happy outside of AL's grip.

My view:

I have alcoholism, but I no longer suffer from it. The "not suffering" is the important part. Cure or not.

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                      X