Signing off permanently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signing off permanently

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. I wish you all the best in your recovery and maintaining sobriety. I have recently had an unpleasant exchange with damo and do not feel comfortable here any more. I will check in and read but no longer post.

Best Wishes,
    G

Signing off permanently

I am so sorry this happened to you. I thought this was supposed to be a safe place...it has been for me so far. I hope this doesn't affect your journey in any kind of a negative way for you.
    MissHazel

Comment

Signing off permanently

Sorry to hear this. I really think we need to realize that we are all different and as alcoholics we do sometimes have problems communicating with not only our real life friends/family but probably more often the anonymous cyber friends we meet. I am sorry you feel like you have to leave. I certainly hope you reconsider. As miss hazel said I have found this place to be nothing but supportive. Maybe you can look at it like they say about AA..take what you need and leave the rest. I really feel like this approach helps in all areas of life. There will always be people we don't agree with, we just have to learn to deal with this and realize other people do not define who we are.

Best of luck to you no matter what you decide.
      AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Signing off permanently

G,

You are, ofcourse, free to make your own decisions however, I would urge to look at this logically.

One bad exchange should not over shadow the absolute good this community provides. It is singularly the most supportive environment I have yet to encounter and everyone plays their part. From those who are struggling with their current demons to those who have achieved long term sobriety the collective message of support and encouragement are like nothing I have ever come across.

In every community, whether it be cyber or real life there is bound to be the odd disagreement or conflict but they should not sour you on the overall good this site offers.

I hope you continue to post and add your voice to the rich and vibrant tapestry of this unique community.

Dave.
        I refuse to be labelled or ashamed. Through my struggles I am achieving self awareness and clarity.

Comment

Signing off permanently

Dave_;1142852 wrote: G,

You are, ofcourse, free to make your own decisions however, I would urge to look at this logically.

One bad exchange should not over shadow the absolute good this community provides. It is singularly the most supportive environment I have yet to encounter and everyone plays their part. From those who are struggling with their current demons to those who have achieved long term sobriety the collective message of support and encouragement are like nothing I have ever come across.

In every community, whether it be cyber or real life there is bound to be the odd disagreement or conflict but they should not sour you on the overall good this site offers.

I hope you continue to post and add your voice to the rich and vibrant tapestry of this unique community.

Dave.
          Agreed! Don't let one bad experience make you leave. You are bound to run into people who isn't good and if you let one person get to you like this, then what next? Please stay. This site is filled with mostly supportive people. I agree with the poster who said take the stuff that you want from this site and leave the rest. We are not all bad.
          I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Signing off permanently

Hi georgie hope you keep posting,On a huge forum like this it is inevitable that people can take others up wrong and when we are just depended on the posts instead of seeing the emotions & body movements thinks can get out of hand unexpectedly,as i said hope you keep posting there is more good & help here than anything else.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Signing off permanently

Georgie,

I apologize for what I posted. I am genuinely sorry and wish I didnt.

I responded to one of your posts that Mario started. I only tried to explain Marios thread when you asked what was the point.
              You sent me a message with "dont EVER respond to any of my posts" and "you are surprised I am a man" and "I will be eternally ALONE" etc etc !!!.
              WHY ???.

I wasnt getting into a private spat with you because I responded to a post of yours. I was not rude to you.
              I have never been controversial here since I joined.

I know now I should never posted so publicly and I take it back.
              It was a spur of the moment response when I read the message you sent me.
              I will be away from here for a few weeks.
              Please continue to post if it helps you stay sober, it certainly has helped me.

I wish you all the best and very sorry again.

Damo in Dublin.
              Still trying !!!
              AF 25th June2014

Comment

Signing off permanently

Damo, hun.

You've been a quiet voice around here, and all I saw in your reply in Mario's thread were good intentions. It's a shame they weren't taken in that spirit.

I hope Georgie that you will continue posting, we need to know what's going on with you if any one can reach at to help.

Damo, I hope you have a blast on your holidays. Make sure you have a pocket full of Euros so you can check in from that one PC they always have in the lobby. Mind that is if you can kick the kids off that are hogging it by doing something vitally important like seeing what their bezzie mate is wearing to go to the shops on Face Book.
                It could be worse, I could be filing.
                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Signing off permanently

Sheri;1143038 wrote: Hi Damo,

I saw the post you wrote on Mario's thread about supporting people and thought it was very diplomatic as I have always found your posts to be. Unfortunately, the post that you were responding to was deleted so I'm not sure what it said but the point of Mario's thread was to emphasize the value of supporting one another. What a shame that such a wonderful thread should lead to you getting a nasty PM for trying to explain a point that someone missed. I'm sorry that happened to you as you have been such a wonderful source of support and inspiration to so many here.

Hi Georgie,

I don't know if this is the case for you, but I was super duper hypersenstive when I first quit and found that the best solution for me was to not engage if something was sparking a knee-jerk reaction in me. Having that type of strong reaction was a huge clue to me that it would be best for me to walk away and evaluate the situation before reacting in a way that I might later regret. In most cases I found that the thing that was bothering me so much didn't seem half as bad with the passage of time, and I was always grateful that I didn't respond as I had initially wanted to as that would have made the situation I was upset about much worse.

I'm glad that you are still going to be lurking and reading and hope that you will feel comfortable posting again.

Sheri
                  Sheri has said it all for me ( and better that i would have )
                  AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

Signing off permanently

Damo, I am sorry too. I have been in a really bad place lately. I have often experienced people putting words in my mouth( not you) and I felt that it was happening again. I lashed out at you and should not have. I don't know you and you are not my family and I now feel that i was too sensitive, since I realize you only meant well.
                    I think I should just read for a while as it seems that my sense of communication is obviously being affected by this black cloud I have around me at this time. I am truly sorry, I was WRONG!

Comment

Signing off permanently

How wonderful this could be resolved, openly and with polite, clear, explanations and apologies. We who have AL problems have usually been criticized so much, have such other insecurities, that our skin is usually SUPER thin. Our sensitivities are like a bubble around us, and we dare anyone to knock the chips off our shoulders. But you two approached this in such a rational, mature manner. Be proud of yourselves, and try to allow yourself to believe this place IS a safe place to actually share your feelings. Without judgement.
                      sigpic
                      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Signing off permanently

Hi Georgie,

Just wanted to let you know this happens occasionally - I get people mad at me and I have no idea why. I get mad at people because I'm hypersensitive - I think most AL addicts are. I read something when it's posted and if I don't react well, I wait to respond for a few days. As the days go by, the tone seems to change and go from toxic to tame, and it's still the exact post (or email, in the case of workplace). I've learned that I just make myself more miserable by reacting negatively and then shaming myself for it. Sit back and realize you are a good person, you're just struggling.

Another thing I'm realizing slowly is other people's actual negative posts are something to be patient with because they're probably in a similar situation. Yesterday I thought "that person is attempting to invalidate my post" and then "that person is struggling and has issues". It made the bad emotions disappear.

Comment

Working...
                        X