I need a hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a hobby

I have spent so much time just being "numb" at night...just staring at the TV and drinking that I need to find something else do at night. My son is grown and my husband is pretty busy and even though we own a business I find myself just sitting at night with no purpose...nothing to do. Can any of you share ways you have substituted other activities that don't involve alcohol?
    Thanks,
    MH

I need a hobby

Miss Hazel, I was sort of shocked to figure out what a HUGE world was really out there once I put the drink down! All I knew was drinking drinking and drinking. For most of my adult life, I wasn't interested in doing things that didn't include drinking.

You have a lot to pick from!!!!

The two most rewarding things I do on a regular basis now that I didn't before:

1) Volunteer work
    2) Exercise

I also dabble in a lot of other things - gardening, mandalas, photography, dabble dabble dabble.

Some others around here have also inspired me to think about taking a college class in the fall. I already have a degree and I'm in my 50's. I would be choosing something just because it sounds interesting. Still thinking about it...but I might!

I also want to get to the Zumba class at the gym. I've heard that's a riot.

Somewhere on this site is a list that started with 100 things to do instead of drink. And more stuff was added. Be adventurous!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I need a hobby

Thanks Doggygirl.
      I love ur picture..you are beautiful!

Comment

I need a hobby

I suggest learning to ride a motorcycle, no drink on earth has ever compared to that

I agree with the volunteer thing, I am looking into that as we speak....would love to help others battling the beast. And at some point, maybe a career change
        Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

I need a hobby

Hello!

I found myself in a similar situation because I spent hourse each night under "anesthesia" and once I woke up I thought - what now?

So, I have really worked on doing some things. I've e-mailed old non-drinking friends for dinner dates, I've found the local branch of the library and they have all sorts of evening events - writers clubs, toast masters, and of course book clubs.

I re-discovered books - I read loads. I also get movies because I can actually sit through and remember an entire 2 hour movie now.

I also dusted off an old guitar I found and bought a book called "classical guitar for dummies". I haven't done much other than tune it and strum around a little but I'm now officially busy!

Oh, and I also have committed to some type of exercise each day - usually I walk for an hour with music or if I'm really motivated I'll go to the gym.

There's a load of stuff to do I'm finding!

Comment

I need a hobby

Ok Nelz,
            Obviously you have never seen me on a motorcycle!! I am way too much of a wimp for the whole "open road" thing. I did take a one week trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway on the back of a motorcycle and all I remember was my kidneys hurt...what you will do for a man in your twenties!
            I am glad you have found something you are passionate about! I WANT THAT!!!
            MH

Comment

I need a hobby

thanks my life

I wish I had non-drinking friends...too much social BS. I have to find the courage to try new things...it inspires me to know that other people have.
              MH

Comment

I need a hobby

I could never do just one thing; if I was watching TV I also had to be reading, crocheting, sewing, etc., but when I drank, I did NOTHING. I've found things I started 10 years ago, and picked them up again. It's a big, beautiful world!!!!!! And I'm taking classes, doing yoga, walking, taking care of my health........................
                sigpic
                Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

I need a hobby

Hazel, I too am in need of a serious hobby that I can focus on. I feel like we are in the same boat. I can find things to do during the day. I need something to do in the evenings. My problem is I have an autistic son and can't really leave the house in the evening without him. This eliminate classes in the evenings I needsomething I can do at home. As Ruby said, I have to replace all the time I spent in a total fog doing nothing with something

Comment

I need a hobby

I was salivating over the Wii machines today. I've heard Wii Fit is a lot of fun. And isn't there Wii tennis and all kinds of stuff like that? Self contained home entertainment and excercise, any time day or night!!

I also got a crochet starter set awhile back. Haven't really gotten far with that. A group of women I know from AA have a weekly get together called "Stitch 'n' Bitch." :H So far, I have not heavily participated in the "stitching" part of that!! Would be good to know how to crochet though. I notice people doing that everywhere "waiting" is required. What a nice thing to occupy "waiting" time with.

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I need a hobby

I do long distance running, actually started doing a little bit of yoga, started playing guitar again, and got back into trading currencies. Everything I started again I'm doing much better than I ever could while drinking and I am truly enjoying it instead of treating it like a chore.
                      2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Working...
                      X