Queen of Hearts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Queen of Hearts

I man much wiser than myself once told me this story and I have never forgot it. It has several different angles and morals I suppose. I just felt like posting it for some reason.

In the 18 century there were two boys who grew up in the same burrow of NYC. They went to the same schools, played the same games, went to the same church. Eventually they both decided to become Jesuit Priests. One of them began to shine just a bit more...seemed a bit brighter...better speaker...etc. So when the offer came to travel to a exotic island to spread christianity he was chosen over the other. While one travelled the other remained in the states to perform other tasks.

Well after some time at the island and after gaining some trust from the natives, the priest decided to teach them agriculture...how to grow some crops. One day he took some of the young men from the village and began clearing the jungle to make it more suitable for growing the crops. A native uncovered something from the jungle floor and began yelling and screaming and running around. The priest immediately went to the young man and asked whatever could the matter be. The native showed him what it was. It was a melon. All the other young men began yelling and screaming and running. The priest picked up the melon and said there is nothing to fear. Well the natives grew very silent and walked back to the village. Upon the arrival of the priest the king of the village order all the young men to beat him to death.

Well some time had passed and no one from the States had heard from the priest on the island so the other priest was given orders to go to the island and find out what was going on. When he got there the natives did not even acknowledged that they ever saw the first priest. This puzzled the second priest, but he continued to teach christianity and after gaining the trust of the natives decided to teach agriculture. He did not ever know what happened to the first priest.

He took some of the young men from the village and began clearing the jungle floor and just like before when a young man uncovered a melon they all began to scream, yell and run around. When the priest saw this reaction, he quickly began to yell, scream, and run along with them. Slowly but surely over many many months the priest would get closer and closer to a new found melon and scream less and less. Eventually the natives began to harvest the melons and today its a crop sold worldwide.

Somethings are just caught and not taught. The two priest had the same upbringing, but had two very different outcomes. Just something to think about

Queen of Hearts

How NOT to be the Ace of Spades, huh, Brian?

It's about how you look at things and choose to react that can be the difference between misery and bliss.

I choose to not be beaten to death. I choose to eat the melons. I'll go along with the new program. Soon, hopefully, the screaming will become less and less, until we're reaping the benefits of the extra effort.

Thanks for posting it.

:l

Comment

Queen of Hearts

Great story iia67....and Becca...Good insight..
      I was thinking...There is different kinds of clever..
      I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
      One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Queen of Hearts

Or...as an after thought...If your gonna be a preist...For god sake stay away from Melons...Cellebacy...An all that?
        I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
        One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Working...
        X