Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it's no fun without AL.....

....then is it really fun at all?

That is the cosmic question which occured to me today while weeding my garden. My conclusion for myself is that things that seem "no fun without AL" are NOT, in fact, fun at all. So I'm gonna find something else to do.

Discuss.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Actually life without AL can and is fun. In fact it will be more fun then if you were drinking. Just take care of people with hangovers. You can see what fun AL brings (I watch yt videos of people hungover) they don't seem to have fun and they had AL.
    I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

For me the 'fun' got to be so hard to manage that it was hidden behind feelings of shame, regret, guilt and remorse. I'd always make out that it was a blast the next day, or whenever I saw the people I had shared the 'fun' with, but most of the things I got up to when I was loaded were just awful.... I think we can all say we do things when we are drinking we wouldn't necessarily do in a normal situation. I've had MUCH more 'fun' since I've not been constantly scew wiff. I laugh for all the right reasons, I cry for all the right reason, I believe in a much more 'sane' sense, I understand at a more profound level, I dance MUCH better, I workout much harder, I spend more money on the right things, I engage with people I love honestly. These are just a few things that come to my mind quickly. Bottom line is MY LIFE IS REAL NOW.........and I'm so very glad. It was my birthday yesterday and I went to bed feeling loved and feeling love for those around me AND I woke feeling like I own myself......and I'm so very glad.... Happy unbirthday everyone!!!!!! :h :l
      It is not what we do, but how much love we put into the doing.
      Mother Theresa

Comment

Well said nicelife
        Happy Birthday for yesterday

Comment

so very true. it brings to mind the many situations ive been in, socializing when the main exercise was drinking. not fun until everyone was blasted, then it was false fun, engaging with people that i have no interest in whatsoever. i now avoid these situations.
          Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
          Keep passing the open windows

Comment

oh, and a very merry unbirthday to you, to you nicelife
            Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
            Keep passing the open windows

Comment

After 41 days AF i can honestly say that for me AL doesn't make anything more fun because it would just totally dominate my thoughts and make me unable to enjoy or even think about many other things. I have totally cleaned out my house, done so much work on the garden that had been neglected for many years and whilst clearing out the loft i found an old 35mm camera which i have been learning to take good pictures with.

Going to visit my parents in a few days and then take some road trips across the uk to find some great photo opps.

I'm finding the longer i stay off the AL the more i am enjoying the simpler things in life and feel almost like the AL had kept my feelings numb for so many years.

I am looking forward to seeing my parents this weekend, have lost about 17lbs since i quit, it's shocking how many extra calories per day i was consuming in al.

Overall when i contrast how things are now compared with over 41 days ago....well there is no comparrison. I was thinking of completing 3months AF and then modding however when i weigh up the risks and think back to how al made me feel i have no desire to ever drink again.

So overall for me i would say nothing i have done whilst AF would have been enhanced at all using al.

Comment

My craziness is that I actually have a lot more fun without AL. And I always notice it! I don't have fun when I'm drinking....so why did I do that to myself??

Comment

Spuds, "False Fun" is an excellent term I think. Lots of "False Fun" here too. Especially in the last 10 years of my drinking. Thinking that SURELY this time it would be fun, when I was really dying inside. I couldn't stand myself drunk OR sober.

mylife;1148094 wrote: My craziness is that I actually have a lot more fun without AL. And I always notice it! I don't have fun when I'm drinking....so why did I do that to myself??
                  I have fun without AL now too. It's nice to laugh and know it's really funny.

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Toward the end, there was "no fun" left with alcohol; only misery and the recognition that I had an addiction that I had to deal with.
                    AF Since April 20, 2008
                    4 Years!!!
                    :lilheart:

Comment

momof3;1148162 wrote: Toward the end, there was "no fun" left with alcohol; only misery and the recognition that I had an addiction that I had to deal with.
                      Well put and exactly the same for me. The fun of a few drinks had faded with my inability to control it. The only thing left was survival and the hope I could find sobriety before it was too late!
                      Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

I'm just a few hours away from Day 7 for first time forever and last night I was work celebrating with friends and I managed it AF...and I had fun and laughed so much...and woke up simply tired, but not hungover...that feels like fun to me.
                        ...peace and quiet....and a cup of tea.....heaven:h

Comment

For us here the alcohol fun went out the window a long time ago,The fun if we ever had it in the first place became just another excuse & illusion to drink,my fun life began in jan 09 and i am still smilling :-) today.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Queenbug;1148279 wrote: I'm just a few hours away from Day 7 for first time forever and last night I was work celebrating with friends and I managed it AF...and I had fun and laughed so much...and woke up simply tired, but not hungover...that feels like fun to me.

:yougo::yougo:CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!:yougo::yougo:

That is such a victory! Just keep building on it!

DG
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                            X