I've been with hero's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been with hero's

For those that know me, I'm sort of an activist for the military. I was recently visiting the West Haven VA facility, and was appalled at the conditions. While the rooms were ok, the other stuff that sustains life lacked. The library was horrendous. I asked a resident what they've read lately and it was the same book. I asked if that was by choice. The response was that is all there is. I just did a neighborhood book gather and delivered over 90 new books to that facility! PLEASE DO WHATEVER YOU CAN TO SUPPORT THE FOLKS THAT KEEP US FREE!!!
    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

I've been with hero's

I work for a construction company that does a lot of work at the VA hospitals. These people truly are heros and I don't think we realize or recognize how much they do to protect our freedoms.

Thank you for this reminder and I will definitely make a point to figure out what I can do to try and help.
    AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

I've been with hero's

techie - you have a heart of gold. I have two nephews in the military. Thank you for reminding us about how very important these men and women are...adn they need to be remembered.
      February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

I've been with hero's

Zenstyle;1154438 wrote:

edit: And medical, of course... But even that was a hassle before as a lot of the time they'd say they couldn't find their paperwork. Ergo... if we can't be sure you're a vet then we can't help you. Gosh... how bad is that?
        That reminds me of Foamfollowers post in LOL section about a guy wanting a passport. It is utterly ridiculous the amount of paperwork required to file and then they can't find it.

Nice work Techie!
        Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

I've been with hero's

Tech, my beloved Daddy was a Vet, and my lifetime hero. PM me, tell me how to send all these extra books, or anything else I have, and I will do it. God Bless America, and her heroes!!
          sigpic
          Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

I've been with hero's

Thank you for all the heartfelt responses. Here are three (3) steps that are applicable to everyone regardless of geographical location :

1.) Locate a local chapter of the Vietnam Veterans of America. The VVA runs a Household Goods Donation Program and accept all kinds of items, including books. You can use the Vietnam Veterans of America website (see Resources) or call 800-459-8387 to locate a local office.

2.) Register with Books for Soldiers (see Resources). This website allows you to donate books to current soldiers and veterans of past wars.

3.) Donate books to a local Veteran Affairs (VA) hospital. Most VA hospitals appreciate donations and books are on the list of accepted items. You can locate a VA medical center by using the official VA website (see Resources). U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Working...
            X