Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emotional Practicality

Hi All,

Second day of soberity and felt like picking up my guitar again....and realised it was the same guitar PRS Custom 22 I bought for myself last time when i went sober for a month and stopped playing due to drinking...On further thought, the practical side this was the kind of money I could save by not drinking..I am in GCC and liqour is not cheap. Just wondering if any one else in this thread had similar thoughts on the amount of money we had blown on booze and if the calculation helped them leave it and add to the benefits of soberity.

Vijay

Emotional Practicality

Hi Vynan,

It's great that you are choosing to live again...and already finding the joy in being sober.

The cost to my health was one of the strongest motivators for me to stop drinking. And smoking. Money was also a factor. I DID do the numbers. I was spending $6 a day on smokes and $16 a day on beer or wine. That's everyday. At that rate, I have been WASTING nearly $8000 each year to slowly kill myself. And when you figure I've done this for almost 5 years fulltime...it makes me sad and ashamed. I'm sure I could've put $40,000 to MUCH better use.

What did I have to show for it? A big belly, bad skin and depression. Not a good deal at all.

AFTER I stopped drinking, I set up a special savings account at my credit union. Everyday I transfer $22 into it. I'm up to $374 so far. I'm planning on taking the family on a great vacation next summer and donating more to the community.

I wish you strength as you go on....
    Sober for the Revolution!
    AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Emotional Practicality

Sounds Excellent Turnagain,

Its a good plan to take the family out for a vacation, I feel its our small way of gesturing a thanks for what they have put up with.

Rocking,

Vijay

Comment

Emotional Practicality

vyan hi. Yep I think about all the wasted money I have spent on the booze. What I do now is the money I would spend on AL today yesterday, etc if I was still drinking no matter what the amount $5.00, $10.00 I put it on my house loan every day I call it MWL on the statement, MY WINE LOAN! Sober 75 DAYS TODAY!

Comment

Working...
        X