i'm back. drag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm back. drag

so, i have debated on posting here, but decided i'd risk being berated by y'all in order to get some support.

i have been here off and on for a couple of years. my goal was moderation, but i never really tried that hard at it. at my best i was doing a couple of AF days a week and keeping the drinks to a minimum when i did drink (1-3). i've done that for the past 2 years.

this summer though, i just threw caution to the wind and have had a drink every day since april. and before that i think i was having 1 AF day a month.

so, now, i've had pretty much 3 drinks(wine, beer)every day this summer with a 4 or 5(vacation) drink day thrown in a couple of times.

i don't want to do this anymore. i am not sure if i'll quit or moderate eventually, but right now, i just want to stop.

i've had 3 drinks every day for the last week. last night i had 2.5

my hubby is telling me that it's ok for me to just stop cold turkey, but if you read any of my posts from previous years, i'm soooo scared of withdrawals. i don't want to die. do you think i can safely stop cold turkey? also, if i feel fine the first 24 hours, do you think i'd have a seizure at like 72 hours(when it supposedly peaks)

i don't want to drag this out by tapering for weeks either.

so, here i sit, crying, not knowing what to do.
    once again.

i'm back. drag

Hi LGL-you are here--that is a good step. I think you should read those withdrawal cases again. I'm not a doctor but based on what you've said, you will not be having any seizures or any physical withdrawal to speak of. It will definitely be striking some emotional chords I bet. Perhaps, in reality, you are more afraid of the giving up al than you are withdrawals? I think many will attest that simply giving up al does not make the world 100%. Prepare yourself with good food, a set jaw and read everything over in the Toolbox and of course keep posting for support.
    Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

i'm back. drag

thanks RC - i'm sure once i'm AF, i'll be facing other emotional things, but at the moment, my biggest obstacle is fear of withdrawals.

just hope i can get past it.

Comment

i'm back. drag

I am not sure why you fear withdrawals from that amount LGL. It just is not that high compared to the amounts people are drinking that actually experience withdrawals and need to taper. What are you basing your fear on?

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

Comment

i'm back. drag

hi RC.
          thanks for the reassurance. i'm going to take the leap of faith and just do it.

my fear is based on the fact that i cannot find any real concrete evidence that tells me exactly how much you have to drink and for how long to get withdrawals. i've read a lot of horror stories, which is scary. i've already read vague facts like "chronic drinkers should never stop without medical supervision" etc.
          i have had this fear for years, and many on this board will remember reassuring me over and over. it's an ocd type fear of mine which goes along with my anxiety. i hope that this time, by cutting out the daily drinking, maybe i will cut out some of my anxiety as well. i hear alcohol exacerbates anxiety in the long run, even though it gives short term relief.
          also, i have a question, which may be a stupid question, but....i read that day 3 is the peak day for seizures. if i am fine at the 24 and 48 hour mark, would a seizure just come out of the blue? or can i rest easy if i have no symptoms at the start, on day 1 and 2?

anyway, i know that many on this board don't want to hear me talking about my wd fear again. so i'm thankful you have replied and i'm grateful for your reassurance. i'm gonig to start today. i had one glass last night.

Comment

i'm back. drag

So let your journey begin LGL. I don't think you have anything to fear but fear itself. I suppose a seizure could come out of the blue for any one of us. Again, in your case it just doesn't seem possible it could be alcohol related if your drinking is as you say. You can do this.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

i'm back. drag

thanks so much for the encouragement

it's 5 o'clock. and i'm of course anxious, but tonight's the night. going AF

Comment

i'm back. drag

Hi LGL,

I have had serious fear of withdrawal symptoms too....i found this article a while ago and found the withdrawal prediction part comforting, hope it helps.

My dependent patient wants to stop using

All the best xx

Comment

i'm back. drag

day 1 under my belt. on to day 2. feeling good so far. is that a good sign?

Comment

i'm back. drag

LetGo,

It is a great sign!!

When I come off a drinking binge, I have shakes, visual and auditory hallucinations and can't keep any food down. Of course, I drink way more than you do.

I believe you are going to sail through this with no issues.

Your life will be so much better without the alcohol. Your sleep will be real sleep and your evenings will be what you make them, not what a muddled brain makes them.

Keep us posted. You are doing great!!

Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

i'm back. drag

How are you doing today LGL?

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

i'm back. drag

hi!
                        i'm doing fine. knock on wood

i'm well into Day 3 and feel great.

I haven't had any real cravings or anything like that, but I know that this weekend may be the next obstacle(the first being my withdrawal fear). My 18th wedding anniversary AND my 9th cancerversary are on Sunday so that will be hard.
                        I'm just not going there yet.

My husband is very supportive and isn't drinking with me right now either.

we'll see.

thanks!!

Comment

i'm back. drag

Good job!!! That is awesome you have your husband's support.
                          ?A year from now you will wish you had started today.? Karen Lamb

Comment

i'm back. drag

Great job on Day 3! And I agree with Margaret about your husband's support.

Comment

i'm back. drag

Way to go LGL! From fear to obstacle....I like that. I wouldn't not dwell on it but start putting some plans in place. Something you and hubby can work on together. Some very special dates coming up...

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Working...
                              X