Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Moderation Really Work?

:new:
    I was going to have 2, maybe 3 glasses of wine last night. Really. I had more like 5 or 6. Killed the bottle. I don't understand why I do that. It's not intentional and I get so mad at myself...everyone around me seems to have the control I wish I had. My husband can have a couple of beers, my mother a couple of martinis...how do you be with people and not drink too?

A New Me,
    I know that moderation cannot work for me. My husband can also have a couple of drinks and stop. Some of us have a genetic predisposition to alcohol cravings. You just have to accept it. I read most of the MWO book last night and Roberta does a good job of explaining how the alcoholic gene is really just like the gene for predisposition to other ailments, but we always stigmatize uncontrolled drinking as a character flaw.

It has taken me several tries to give up alcohol and I am still just a few days in, but I have found coming to this forum to be the difference this time that gives me the will and the power to succeed. Several people here have given me my new mantra: "Thanks, but I don't drink anymore."
    Enlist your relatives' help and support. They will probably be happy to be there for you.

And keep coming back here, whether you are AF or not. Good luck, there are lots of great people here to help you.
    Good habits breed good habits; bad habits breed bad habits.

Comment

New,

There are actually some here who do moderate. Check out the Monthly Mods forum.

If that is your goal, you may want to reach out to the group there.

If, after giving it your all and you find out you can't, then perhaps you should consider abstinence.

Most here cannot moderate, but some do and can.

Only you can determine your path.

btw, :welcome: and I hope you find your way out here. You will find support no matter what path you choose.

Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I suppose it's possible, but it's not really something that I think should be your goal right now. Get some sober time under your belt and then reevaluate. When I started posting here I couldn't imagine never drinking again. Now after a month I'm thinking that it really wouldn't be such a big deal. Someone here said yesterday that you'll never regret not drinking. Makes me wonder why drinking seems so important at all.

Comment

I sort of trying to moderate as part of the Sinclair Method, but that doesn't mean I drink every day. It's a bit hit and miss even with the medication, wouldn't like to try it without!

Comment

Hi to All,

Some people say alcoholism is a character flaw, some say it is a Psychological illness.
            I have learned last month that it is none of them. It is a physical and usually curable disease.

Check this out:

DoctorYourself.com - Alcoholism

The key ingredient is L-glutamine!

Check out these two books:

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Seven Weeks to Sobriety: The Proven Program to Fight Alcoholism through Nutrition

Amazon.com: Alcoholism the Nutritional Approach (9780292703018): R. J. Williams: Books

I started taking L-glutamine one month ago. Today is my 28th day AL free.

Give it a try!

Cheers,

Brian

Comment

I moderated for a period of time and I did pretty good minus the changing of the rules in the beginning and the slipping near the end. Now I am abstinence for good and I feel good for giving Moderation a try. Moderation isn't for everyone, but if you feel you can do it, then try. But I do recommend some af time before you start. Some have even changed their minds with Mod. I have seen people who planned on Modding, got some af time, and saw that Moderation wasn't for them so they didn't start it. Most Modders here start out with 30 days af.
              I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
              X