Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MWO World Tour Part II-Piglet!

:thanks: anon... I remember you from when I first joined MWO! :l

Oh dear, summer in San Franciso is NOT the best time to visit and last year was particularly cold and dreary - if you ever come back try to visit around March/April/May or September/October, those are usually the best times.
    :heart: AF since 29th August 2010 :heart:

Comment

Today's post is just a quick one, for reasons I'll explain after the pics.

Golden Gate Park is over 1,015 acres (bigger than Central Park!) and it's difficult to imagine now but the area that used to be called Outside Lands was just sand dunes until the late 1800's when they first started to establish the park by planting quick growing plants to stop the shifting sands before starting the long process of adding topsoil, organic matter, etc. which enabled the park to become what we have today.

At the edge of the park, near Ocean Beach, is Queen Wilhelmina's Tulip garden where there is an authentic Dutch windmill - it was used to pump water to park but now is just decorative.

Comment

One of my favorite hidden gems - The Golden Gate Angling & Casting Club. The lodge and casting pools were built in 1938 (part of the WPA program) anyone can join. They have free lessons with loaner rods, etc. once a month. Many innovations in the fly fishing world came from members of the club.

Comment

Clubhouse office & trophies

Super double top secret....inside the clubhouse-lol!

If you look at the shutter (behind the blackboard on the easel) you can just make out the cutout is in the shape of a fish.

Apologies for the iffy, uneven lighting in these pics- couldn't work out the flash.

Comment

Golden Gate Stables - unfortunately the stables were closed to the public in 2001 and now only the police horses are stabled there but it's still nice to be able to see them.

Near the stables is the Buffalo field - it makes me sad to see them there so I didn't photograph them - but you can get an idea of what this part of the park looks like.

Comment

Well P & MK friends I have to let you know that I need to go out of town for about a week - I leave at dawn's crack on Wednesday and will be back the following Wednesday. I still have some GGP photos which I'll post but it might not be for a couple of days because I need to get packed and organized tomorrow and I'll be traveling all the next day. Husband and son are staying home, Jasper will be coming with me as well as Piglet and Miss K. I hope everyone is OK with that - like my puplet, they will be with me at all times in the cabin. Not much going on at our destination at this time of year and the weather is cold but I'll try and take some pics. Also, I still have so many places that I want to take Piglet and Miss K to when we do get back to SF, I hope you won't mind if they stay with me another week or so once we return?

Piglet & Miss K --- Gone fishin'

Anyone want to guess where we're headed? We have to take two flights. First flight is approx 5 hours and the second is about 1.5 hours - heading east and something in the photos posted today is famous in this place - it's also well known for something we should all steer clear of! :H

:h

Comment

LOL Fly fishing and boutique shopping. YOu're a well rounded girl! The obvious guess would be NY, but I'm even more curious as to how you got so close to the police horses when the stables are not open to the public. Hmmm??
                Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

kewl pics Enja!!!
                  I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                  Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

I LOVE the flowers...and the horseys
                    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Enja, once again you have given us a wonderful tour and posted some lovely pics. Thank you so much for taking so much of your time to show us San Francisco and the lovely sights to be seen.
                      enja;1265861 wrote: Well P & MK friends I have to let you know that I need to go out of town for about a week - I leave at dawn's crack on Wednesday and will be back the following Wednesday. I still have some GGP photos which I'll post but it might not be for a couple of days because I need to get packed and organized tomorrow and I'll be traveling all the next day. Husband and son are staying home, Jasper will be coming with me as well as Piglet and Miss K. I hope everyone is OK with that - like my puplet, they will be with me at all times in the cabin. Not much going on at our destination at this time of year and the weather is cold but I'll try and take some pics. Also, I still have so many places that I want to take Piglet and Miss K to when we do get back to SF, I hope you won't mind if they stay with me another week or so once we return?

Piglet & Miss K --- Gone fishin'

:HLove the photo !! I'm sure no one will mind one bit you having the wee ones for another week. We'll be all pasted to the screen waiting for the next pictures.
                      enja;1265861 wrote: Anyone want to guess where we're headed? We have to take two flights. First flight is approx 5 hours and the second is about 1.5 hours - heading east and something in the photos posted today is famous in this place - it's also well known for something we should all steer clear of! :H:h
                      Well this is a long shot but in going along with the mood of the thread, I'll give it a go. I expect you're off to someplace like this... (the parts highlighted in blue are copied and pasted from the web.)

Camp Hill, Cumberland County, PA. If you love to spend times outdoors, we?ve got dozens of trails to hike and bike on; lakes and creeks for boating, fishing and swimming, and state parks to hunt, shoot and camp in. We?ve got all of that, plus world-class fly-fishing streams
                      and the Appalachian Trail.

Further search brought this link which is perhaps what we should steer clear of....

http://www.abcbrew.com/camphill/brewery.htm

Of course it's a wild guess but since you posted so many pictures of the fly fishing lake and lodge, I'm guessing that it's something you're interested in. Also, you mention being at a cabin so I would guess you'll be staying on a lake or river. As for the flights - the first one could be to say, Atlanta - A non-stop flight from Atlanta, Georgia to San Francisco, California takes 5 hours, and the second one to Harrisburg, PA - The average flight time from Harrisburg, PA to Atlanta, GA is 1 hour and 35 minutes.

Anyway, I could be way off, but it was fun searching. Okay, the rest of you - get looking and make some guesses....
                      For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                      AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Wonderful pics enja. I had a satellite office in San Fran (Folsom Street) from '93 to '04. I would always stay at the Marriott Moscone Center. I wasted too many hours at the 4th Street Bar & Grill LOL. My two favorite eateries were Scoma's for seafood and Yank Sing for dim sum. Your journey with the stuffed critters brings back fond memories. Thank you so much for this tour!
                        Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

:bump:
                          enja;1265861 wrote:
                          Anyone want to guess where we're headed? We have to take two flights. First flight is approx 5 hours and the second is about 1.5 hours - heading east and something in the photos posted today is famous in this place - it's also well known for something we should all steer clear of! :H

:h
                          Okay where are the peeps who have been following this thread? Where has Enja gone and taken Piglet and Miss K with her? We want guesses, now. Now, I tell ya. Just give it a shot. It's fun and let's see whose guess is closest to where they're headed. :catroll:
                          For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                          AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

I have no idea, but we did love the pics of them fishing!!
                            I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Comment

Hello from ?????????? ?? :H:H I'm sorry I've not posted for a few days but I've been busier than expected - so just a quick check in to let you know we arrived safely and I hope to do a proper catch up in the next day or so and also post some more Golden Gate Park pics with Piglet and Miss K that I didn't get a chance to post before I left.

stirly-girly;1266086 wrote:

Well this is a long shot but in going along with the mood of the thread, I'll give it a go. I expect you're off to someplace like this... (the parts highlighted in blue are copied and pasted from the web.)

Camp Hill, Cumberland County, PA. If you love to spend times outdoors, we?ve got dozens of trails to hike and bike on; lakes and creeks for boating, fishing and swimming, and state parks to hunt, shoot and camp in. We?ve got all of that, plus world-class fly-fishing streams
                              and the Appalachian Trail.

Further search brought this link which is perhaps what we should steer clear of....

http://www.abcbrew.com/camphill/brewery.htm

Of course it's a wild guess but since you posted so many pictures of the fly fishing lake and lodge, I'm guessing that it's something you're interested in. Also, you mention being at a cabin so I would guess you'll be staying on a lake or river. As for the flights - the first one could be to say, Atlanta - A non-stop flight from Atlanta, Georgia to San Francisco, California takes 5 hours, and the second one to Harrisburg, PA - The average flight time from Harrisburg, PA to Atlanta, GA is 1 hour and 35 minutes.

Anyway, I could be way off, but it was fun searching. Okay, the rest of you - get looking and make some guesses....
                              Well done Stirly, you're 50% correct - first stop was Atlanta :goodjob: I seem to have inadvertently planted a red herring with the cabin remark....what I actually meant was that I would have Piglet and Miss K and my puplet with me in the cabin on the plane - not that we would be staying in a cabin at our destination. Actually red herring works as a clue but think fowl not fish. Oh, and four legs not fins! OK, I'll make it real easy for y'all and throw in some roses and mint! :H

Comment

I thought Kentucky too.

Stirly, you are amazing.
                                sigpic
                                Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Working...
                                X