MWO World Tour Part II-Piglet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was walking along there last August. Thank you Enja for the wonderful pictures and happy memories for me.

Comment

The Presidio was a military post from 1776 through 1994 and was used first by the Spanish, then Mexican and finally the US Army. It was decommissioned in 1994 and turned over to the Golden Gate Recreation Department. It now has a new lease of life and almost all of the buildings are now being rented as residential housing, businesses and schools. It's also home to George Lucas' Industrial Light & Magic campus (they did tear down the old veterans hospital to make way for this - it was a horrible building so no loss there!) and Walt Disney Family Musem there are also restaurants, a bowling alley, lots of tennis courts dotted around, a post office, YMCA, senior centre, daycare, etc.

Lovers' Lane looking South - it got its name when off-duty soldiers in the 1860s used the path to walk into town to see their sweethearts. The path originally connected the Spanish garrison at the Presidio with Mission Dolores about three miles South.

Looking North - if you look closely you can just see the towers of the GGB through the trees

Coyotes! Baseball diamond in the background

Playground - again with GGB in the background - Park & Rec run after school clubs and summer programs here - clubhouse is to the right, off camera
      :heart: AF since 29th August 2010 :heart:

Comment

Tennis & Basketball Courts

Inspiration Point - Angel Island to the left, Alcatraz, and the East Bay in the background and that dome is the top of The Palace of Fine Arts

Friends!

Comment

SF National Cemetery -

The Fire Station - reminds me of something from Toy Town... it's so cute! :H

The PresidiGO - free shuttle that goes around the park (which is approximately 1,400 acres)

Same buses, different angle

Comment

Educational facilities - the Bay School (a private high schoo)l...

...no idea which one this is but I think it's lovely!

While it was an Army base (and a few years afterwards) this was a fast food place - Burger King, I think

This is the view from there! :H

Comment

Residences

These are just next to one of the approaches to the GGB

This is what you see when you turn around

Piglet & Miss K wanted a closer look

There's still lots more to see in the Presidio but that will have to wait until tomorrow...

Comment

Neighbourhood Architecture Interlude --- presented without comment, *talking* seems to slow me down to glacial speed :H

Comment

Comment

Comment

Enja,
                      Thanks for the wonderful pictures! What a beautiful city you live in. And that wonderful architecture.
                      Give Jasper a pat for me. If I get over to SF in the next couple of years I’d love to meet you and give him a pat myself.
                      And thanks for the Bullitt map. Still great piece of movie making!

Some of those trees in Lovers Lane look like they've escaped from Australia and transplanted themselves there.

And look at those clear blue skies! What's the temperature there?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Quick comment....after Christmas everyone leaves their tree out on the corner of the sidewalk for pick up by the recycle truck so there are large piles of trees out there for the first couple of weeks after Christmas...this person has obviously left it a bit late. :H

Good Night from Piglet, Miss K and me, see you tomorrow - xoxoxo

Comment

Thank you. So very much.

Comment

Thank you Enja! Beautiful pics!:h

Comment

Working...
                                X